Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The negative / positive here is debatable as Steam also has no true competition and that could contribute to why Valve hasn't made anything new for far too long (aside from heavy innovation like VR), I just have all of the platforms/consoles so I can get the best of all worlds. Epic contributes so much to these companies that it is their choice, not really Epic's enforcement as well.
just incase you or anyone else wasn't aware...

Epic is able to steal exclusives because they offer a greater competitive margin on sales than steam did/does. Meaning game devs get(/use to get) paid more by using epic's platform. That was their whole shtick to get games on their platform.

Steam has had a flat % rate for sales via their steam platform. Some developers don't like steam getting a cut of their profit. But How can you say no to having your game on one of the largest digital game platforms on the planet. Game Developers make more money having their game on steam platform even if steam is taking a greater % sale cut than epic does. Because more sales via steam.

Bonus Fact
Steam chat logs (server side) are only kept for 2 weeks and then it is disposed of. This is more appealing for people who value privacy.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 06-10-2021 at 04:19 PM..
Old 06-10-2021, 04:31 PM
Fire Giant

I mean its common sense stuff. But people narrow this to Steam vs Epic, but it is Really a brawl of Steam, Epic, Origin, Xbox Live, Microsoft Store, Playstation Store, Apple Store, Android etc etc etc.. Not all of them also give you the Engine that drives the game, we could debate how accommodating Valve is compared to Epic as far as their engine is concerned though? Epic seems accommodating to all platforms in this sense while Valve's is very exclusively Valve's.

Just very very different eco-systems to the point they aren't all that comparable. Not really a fan of any singular platform so I never got involved in this debate too much outside just stating basic common sense and contributing factors. That said, I don't disagree with someone's choice to choose one, I just think you are missing out in doing so, as I show with the Epic Free games. Gamers win either way.
Last edited by Shawk; 06-10-2021 at 04:35 PM..
Old 06-10-2021, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnasP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Epic also fucks games out of being on steam, which is pretty fucking gay.
Lookin at you Darkest Dungeon 2
Yes, I don't even like Steam. Our game here came before all that nonsense. It isn't needed nor have I seen any game to surpass EQ since steam came along. Microsoft confirmed their plans for the future, the full cohesion of Xbox and Windows to be Xbox Gaming.

Multiplatform is here to stay and all the major influences will be locked here, along with the controller and every low brow idea they can squat out.

Things went wayy in the opposite direction of what I had hoped it would. There will be no major development for Windows PC. It will multiplatform mediocre things from here on out. Note: There is no 'Windows' in multiplatform. The games are designed differently from the start.

Indie Windows games might come along once in awhile. Kenshi got my interest recently. So it can happen but its not so common.

That sucks but its the way it is. I wont be ranting about Windows or Consoles anymore. Microsoft squashed all reason to gatekeep about future potential on Windows.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

mblake you're probably the only person I know of who tweets about the p99 forums.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Closed Thread