Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 11:00 PM
Fire Giant

Someone needs to find proof the ZEM wasn't even a big thing in classic live. I remember in classic I would run all over the world trying to find a place to get faster exp and it just.. wasn't faster. Pretty much everything was exactly the same. Something is wrong on P99, experience is way too fast in the top ZEM zones.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:16 PM
Planar Protector

The original ZEM values on P99 came from ShowEQ's packet sniffer on Al'kabor I assume. Also, ZEM as a mechanic always existed even in Classic EQ, it just wasn't discussed about to players.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 10-28-2020, 03:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone needs to find proof the ZEM wasn't even a big thing in classic live. I remember in classic I would run all over the world trying to find a place to get faster exp and it just.. wasn't faster. Pretty much everything was exactly the same. Something is wrong on P99, experience is way too fast in the top ZEM zones.
I already figured out the classic values, when they were changed, etc:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=343193

P99 wants to do custom ZEM and that's fine.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterChimp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kerra Isle gets no love.
Ya. Kerra needs a 200% zem to get anyone out there.

Likewise, when Permafrost got a huge exp bump, leveling in there became a viable option.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Fire Giant

I like the idea of rotating ZEM on a monthly basis. It would be fun to see other, underutilized zones be populated.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I already figured out the classic values, when they were changed, etc:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=343193

P99 wants to do custom ZEM and that's fine.
I see

Quote:
He confirms that no ZEM in classic was ever higher than 100.
So we're running almost 2x classic exp in some hot zones? Matches what I'm seeing and is pretty lame.

This contributes to why raiding on P99 is so shitty as well. It's very easy to level here. On true classic hitting max level before Kunark was difficult if you had any kind of normal real life obligations. On P99 you just get a broken Enchanter in your group and hit the ZEM hot spots to power level up to 50 then power level up your alts.

I mean, I've done it as well, but I wish it wasn't that way because I think raiding in EQ is pretty damn lame and I really only enjoy the game for the group/solo experience. Something that is pretty much destroyed by these mechanics. Lately on P99 this is really getting out of control as well. All the top ZEM zones have PL group sessions. I was briefly in a UN guild where they have PL sessions for everyone. It's like the only goal on P99 is to get to raid level as fast as possible which leaves the rest of the game feeling empty, rushed, and trivial.

Probably 90%+ of people raiding on P99 shouldn't even be able to raid except for how unclassically easy it is to level here. High ZEMs, broken mob HP like in kith, broken classes like Enchanter, etc. Leads to a top heavy player population that has nothing to do but raid or power level more alts up to better "compete" in raiding.

Sometimes I think the devs here don't understand that people play P99 for a lot of other reasons than raiding and high level experience. I was very disappointed by the fast spawns for green, high ZEMs, enchanter groups, etc all seemingly focused on getting players to level as fast as possible. Devs even said as much to avoid "congestion." Same with opening Teal.

All ruins a true classic experience where leveling was difficult for exactly those reasons like congested areas, low experience rates, etc. Being max level should be an accomplishment not a quick foot race so you can "start raiding." I don't know why there is this seeming protection of trivializing P99 at every turn. EQ was a difficult and punishing game, P99 is WoW lite and the evidence seems to all be there that this isn't how classic worked.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:26 PM
Aviak

It ain’t easy to level for us noobs, the time commit it already long. Not a complaint. I can see why the old heads might want to change it up. Personally I ventured into perma on my druid and charmed wolves to level and the exp was amazing.

But you know what? I could port away to instantly sell then just gate back. I don’t think I’d want to make that trip on a class that couldn’t gate... perma I mean. I’m still going to try it though.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:18 PM
Sarnak

I did a lot of my 40's crawling Kedge with guild groups back in 2017, and it was great. Lots of XP, good loot, neat zone to learn.