Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Aviak

Default Another /praise thread

Hello P99 developers:

You guys have really pulled it off with this server. It's non-stop fun. The reason there is such a strong community of devoted EQ Classic fans is because this is a very special and important game in computer gaming history, which was lost. Through your hard work you actually revived it. And best of all, new players seem to be coming in every day, who have never played EQ, and they get to experience what a real MMO is all about.

I've noticed the player population getting bigger and bigger. My only concern is if your hardware can manage large amounts of players. I do encourage people reading this to donate to keep this game going strong and so it can adapt to changes, and most importantly always survive.

Succesfully recreating classic EQ also has bigger implications. A lot of games are moving from the corporate model into the private model because of the internet. The fan-based genre means that decisions are made for the benefit of enjoyment versus large-scale monetization, something which ironically actually makes a game more popular and succesful. So, it's interesting to see where this is going to lead and if you carve out a bit of history as a result.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Large Rat

Ya, I played EQ when it first came out and let me tell you.. I was HOOKED! But then they took a medieval themed game with a great storyline and put cat people on a moon world and books that teleported you across the galaxy.. WTF? I downloaded this yesterday and got on at about 11 AM and was playing until about 9 PM non stop.. I can't believe how much fun this emulator is, it's damn close to as good as the original
Old 02-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Large Rat

Well, hardware has come a long way since ten years ago. I started playing everquest on a Pentium 2, 266Mhz cpu. And there are around 400 players at peek hours, which is roughly 20% of the limit of what it was ten years ago.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscerate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, hardware has come a long way since ten years ago. I started playing everquest on a Pentium 2, 266Mhz cpu. And there are around 400 players at peek hours, which is roughly 20% of the limit of what it was ten years ago.
Keep in mind though that even though it's a "classic" server, with a "classic" database, it's still the Titanium client which isn't 10 years old.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Orc

You know a game would have to have been pretty downright amazing for players to flock back to it 10 years later and have dedicated volunteers spend hours on fixing the game up for free.

Thank you P1999 Team!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via MSN to Jify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know a game would have to have been pretty downright amazing for players to flock back to it 10 years later and have dedicated volunteers spend hours on fixing the game up for free.

Thank you P1999 Team!
On that note, two things:
  1. Thank you developers! <3
  2. If you love the server, keep donating to support it! It does cost a good chunk of $$ monthly to keep going!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Large Rat

Love it!
Closed Thread