Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 11-15-2017, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

I don't think it needs to be an all or nothing approach. If it turns out instituting the cap is very easy, but fixing wis/int values is very difficult, I think you do the easy thing first then work on the tough part.

At the very least this will give players a better picture of what they need for an encounter with a 'maxed out' mana pool. I realize this may appear unfair to some end-gamers as they have the best gear and want to be rewarded for that, but they can take solace in the fact that one day they will be rewarded (I'm sure that gear also has other benefits like resists, other stats, etc for the meantime).

If a dev commented that "At level 60 with 200 wis your mana will be X, at level 60 with 255 wis your mana will be Y once the mana calculation is made classic. Mana cap is currently set at 4,160... bid on your items accordingly", you could then at least figure out what kind of gear profile you are shooting for.

Would be interesting to see how this affects BiS builds... would Zlandicar's Heart go up in price for regen bonus (maybe other Aura of Battle items... hello Spirit Wracked Cord)? Would certain traditionally melee items start being bid on by casters? Maybe start building other stats for fun like +CHA (vendor pricing) or +STR (encumberment). Maybe you don't need 'BiS' but 2nd best or 3rd best item drops that bid for cheap fill out your mana cap easier.

Maybe it won't change much, but kind of exciting to see how Norrath adjusts.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Getting to any type of cap without raid gear does not seem classic to me.
Both are not classic, making it 50% classic is a start though, no?

EDIT: Just thought of possible compromise... if fixing both of these issues is a tremendous nightmare, perhaps all Velious raid zones can have their HP increased by 10%. I figure 4600 / 4200 is roughly 10%. This will still reward end game profiles but encounter would last longer, draining that additional mana.

If / when the wis/int and mana cap fixes can be implemented, then just restore Velious raid zone HP to classic levels.
Last edited by Rygar; 11-15-2017 at 04:55 PM..
Old 11-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Solid evidence up in this thread.

Fixing this and the 201-255 WIS/INT returns would be extremely classic. Removing the ability for your Mana value to be displayed in your UI though would reach unparalleled levels of immersion.
would love that and no 3rd person scroll
Old 11-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Getting to mana cap without raid gear does not seem classic to me.
The issue is not many people actually were aware of what their Mana pool was because it wasn't displayed in the UI until 2003/4.

Also I'd love to see the Magelo of a character with a 4200 Mana pool with 0 raid gear. I don't think that's happening currently on P99.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Planar Protector

I posted the bug about int/wis cap long ago but a Mana cap sounds beyond dumb for a locked server like ours.

maybe when things are on the brink of classicness you roll out the proper wis/int caps to keep mana pools proper in era but capping raw mana just cause - naw this thread is going no where.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no 3rd person scroll
NO
Old 11-15-2017, 10:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I posted the bug about int/wis cap long ago but a Mana cap sounds beyond dumb for a locked server like ours.

maybe when things are on the brink of classicness you roll out the proper wis/int caps to keep mana pools proper in era but capping raw mana just cause - naw this thread is going no where.
I don't quite understand the logic here. That is like saying they should not cap any stats at 255 since this is a time locked server. It is a classic time locked server, with complete as possible classic mechanics.

I'm willing to bet not a lot of people knew about the mana cap from back in the day (i know i didn't). So sucks for those people to find out, but i think it is important to implement.

Hopefully can hear from a dev on feasibility.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 PM
Planar Protector

I'm curious if the cap is just worn Mana or does it also include buffs like Gift of Brilliance.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm curious if the cap is just worn Mana or does it also include buffs like Gift of Brilliance.
I sincerely hope mana buffs stack on top of the cap, else it will just further trivialize mana pools. The post specifically mentions +mana items, so I would interpret that as anything from your INT/WIS + Items cannot exceed 4,126 mana.

Probably much like worn AC used to have a hard cap but buffs still worked.

But who knows, I'll try and do some digging to confirm.

I'm not too knowledgeable on what classes have what +mana buffs or self buffs / clickies / songs and which stack and which don't. GoB looks to give +150 mana, if it didn't stack then no caster would really need to gear past 3,976 mana on raids if they paid attention to buffs. I'm sure there are at least 2 slots where people use +65 or +75 mana... this would just further trivialize gearing in my opinion.

But again, will try and dig up some evidence.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't quite understand the logic here. That is like saying they should not cap any stats at 255 since this is a time locked server. It is a classic time locked server, with complete as possible classic mechanics.

I'm willing to bet not a lot of people knew about the mana cap from back in the day (i know i didn't). So sucks for those people to find out, but i think it is important to implement.

Hopefully can hear from a dev on feasibility.
Here is the thread that I already commented on and supported which is what I feel more important than this potentially false speculative 'feature' that you are pushing here.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ghlight=wisdom

Int/Wisdom caps are too high here, thats been well known and established for a lonnnnngggg time. If you feel mana pools are not classic, you fix them by fixing the 255 stat cap returns because right now you probably get more mana than was intented for having your stats this high in this era but that might be something that cant be fixed with our client.

Implementing a hard cap of mana tho, is beyond dumb however because even if it did exist, it has no place on our server that at this point as p99 does not feature classic npc hit point pools, mana pools, damage calculations, Armor Class, Attack Ratings etc.

If all the core elements that make up every single npc engage is already not classic mostly thanks to the titanium client, why should the devs artificially hamstring the players playing here with a hard mana cap. If people get their mana above 4200 ( or whatever cap you make up ), more power to them, it doesnt affect YOUR gameplay.

Mana was not displayed during this era so its impossible to prove it was capped. This thread is pointless.
Last edited by Erati; 11-16-2017 at 01:30 PM..