Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Aviak

Default Clerics on Green

A recent post mentioned something about human clerics of Innoruuk having access to a ton of cool items, and it piqued my interest. For Green, I'd been thinking I'd roll up a druid for some casual fun out in the Karanas since they're pretty decent in lower level groups and obviously great soloers. However, I'm now thinking I may want to roll up an evil cleric and hunt down these neat items.

I guess my main question is are clerics pretty decent soloers in straight classic? They're pretty weak soloers on blue, but that's mostly relative to fungi twinks with 1/2 ratio weapons and the like. When gear is pretty bad all around, do they stack up better? Undead nukes are pretty efficient and they can pull, root, stun, etc. Seems like they might not be half bad in a twink-free environment?

Ultimately I'd want to group as much as possible, but I'd like having the option to solo here and there when I'm short on time.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Swish wrote a solo cleric's guide awhile back. It only goes to 50, but so does Green (initially).

The bigger picture is that no, Clerics are not good soloers, at least relative to clases that are traditionally considered "good soloers". Nukes are just a lot less efficient than DoTs or Charms, and other classes that can fear (SKs, Rangers, Necros) can all do more damage while that fear is going. This means soloing clerics will have a lot (more) downtime.

You can solo a cleric; it will just be slower than soloing a Bard/Druid/Enchanter/Magician/Necromancer/Shaman. Heck, they'll even be slower than a Wizard (maybe not at early levels when everyone's a Warrior, but the Wizard nukes are more efficient, and then quadding is even more efficient).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 PM
Aviak

Good points all around. Thanks. I kinda knew the answer, but was hoping I was wrong.

I plan to group as much as possible, so it should still be a viable choice, but I'll have to think about it in the meantime.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Clerics are good against unrest hags and spectres.

Breaking in to hags is tricky. You can cycle stuns and cancel magic if necessary.

For the spectres you want to use your snare neck and spook undead to eliminate incoming taps/stuns/damage and focus on nuking them down quick.

I am sure there are other low HP undead where you are able to control the risk of adds effectively.

The problem with these spots is they are fairly accessible, so may be camped heavily on green.

Perhaps you can try spectres in OOT instead for your green server spectres?

On blue OOT specs are almost always open. I'd sometimes do them on my wizard back before seafuries got fixed. Often seafury island would get so competitive it was better cash to just kill spectres/gargoyles instead.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Queue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess my main question is are clerics pretty decent soloers in straight classic?
Quick question, why did you ask if they're good soloers?

Why does anyone ask that about any class?

Why are you guys all preparing to play Everquest solo?
Old 09-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quick question, why did you ask if they're good soloers?

Why does anyone ask that about any class?

Why are you guys all preparing to play Everquest solo?
Quick question, did you read the post?

I said I would like to group as much as possible, but I would also like to have the option to solo a few things when short on time.

Thanks for your contribution.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Queue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quick question, did you read the post?

I said I would like to group as much as possible, but I would also like to have the option to solo a few things when short on time.

Thanks for your contribution.
I confess I stopped reading at the age-old "can i solo" question.

Cleric will be able to solo a few things when short on time. You can also do the ol' wizard tactic of blowing a mana bar and medding afk in a safe spot while doing laundry, lifting weights, practicing bass, etc.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Pre kunark a well geared cleric is a BEAST in lower guk. Its actually really really good time to be a cleric. You can solo quite a bit in there with a manastone and a dawnfire!

But without those 2 you are just a regular cleric. With 1 of either you're pretty powerful though.

BUT WITH BOTH YOU ARE AN ARMORED BATTLE PRIEST!

the HOLLY SLAYER OF UNDEAD

It's a very fun time to be one.

I never tried fear kiting in guk with a Regent Symbol of Innoruuk but It would be one hell of an adventure to try to get right [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Sarnak

As a shadowknight who fearkites on the regular, Clinging Darkness is IMO terrible for fearkiting. I usually wait for Engulfing to start in earnest.

IMO, it doesn't last long enough and it doesn't slow movement speed enough. Sure, if you're getting it on a clicky for free, the mana costs aren't an issue, and if it's all you got, you'll use it...but it's not really all that great.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
A recent post mentioned something about human clerics of Innoruuk having access to a ton of cool items, and it piqued my interest. For Green, I'd been thinking I'd roll up a druid for some casual fun out in the Karanas since they're pretty decent in lower level groups and obviously great soloers. However, I'm now thinking I may want to roll up an evil cleric and hunt down these neat items.

I guess my main question is are clerics pretty decent soloers in straight classic? They're pretty weak soloers on blue, but that's mostly relative to fungi twinks with 1/2 ratio weapons and the like. When gear is pretty bad all around, do they stack up better? Undead nukes are pretty efficient and they can pull, root, stun, etc. Seems like they might not be half bad in a twink-free environment?

Ultimately I'd want to group as much as possible, but I'd like having the option to solo here and there when I'm short on time.
I played a cleric and did end game raiding stuff till just after Planes of Power.

Clerics are not good soloers, they are inefficient and slow. Undead is basically the only thing you have a chance with and even then it's not quick.

Bad dmg mitigation considering they wear plate and melee dmg is terrible. Even with a planes of power Tallon Zek proc hammer, hammer pet and the latest melee buffs they are just not good solo.

Much easier to group.
Closed Thread