Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Orc

A shaman with a granite face grinder can melee just as well as any other class with a good weapon until level 30 or so. Things start to fall off sharply after this point, as mobs start to deal more damage and as the shaman's own melee damage output begins to stink more and more compared to real melee classes.

Like I guess a level 40 shaman could face tank with slow, but why would you? You're not dealing significant enough melee damage to justify the use of HP. That HP is better used for canni dancing. While I know that SK's and Pallys aren't dps kings, I'm sure they're still dealing way more melee damage than a shaman at mid and high levels thanks to things like double attack and riposte.

Anyway, the real answer to this thread is to make a monk with HP rings, SCHW, and some Wu's weapons (maybe nicer weapons if you can afford it or if you find yourself enjoying the class after 10-20 levels). A fungi is extremely nice for reducing downtime, but isn't really a requirement to simply kill stuff.

I know there are tons of monk lizard twinks out there, but there's a reason for that. Instant feign death is one of the most game breaking mechanics in Everquest, and will allow you to solo dungeon crawl through level appropriate dungeons with relative safety. All those dumb Kunark dungeons with one way entrances? A monk can just jump in, and if you don't like it or get overwhelmed then you can just flop your way out. And if you do like what you find, then a monk's offensive and defensive skills and ready access to cheap powerful weapons will let you kill whatever you find.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Sarnak

Wow, I look away for 2 minutes and post blows up.

Thank you all for the replies, lots of your info is very helpful.

Yes - the intent for this is not to be the fastest or best soloist. My main is a 54 Necro and I have done some dungeon crawling with him. I just wanted to mix it up and not play a caster. I have a retired 51 bard that I duoed all the way up. I hate the thought of swarm kiting. Oddly enough he duoed with a shaman and we root rotted like crazy! I've fear kited and "mez rotted" too. He. was never well geared so maybe that would change how I feel about him? I could go back and gear him out and see how he feels. I understand that shaman is not melee, maybe just the most martial of the priests/casters?

I am still apprehensive on monk... correct me if I am wrong (have not played one since live) but they pretty much auto attack and kick/claw/flying kick? seems kinda boring combat. Fear kiting at least I have to re apply stuff and it is engaging. Again, maybe I am wrong?

How about Bard? It has been a bit since I've played mine, and like I said - they duoed with a shaman the whole way so... I hate swarm kiting and refuse to do it, it hurts the zone and perpetuates the stigma that bards are jerks. If I were to dungeon crawl on a bard, what would the tactics be? are good weapons worth getting or is it charm and chants with drum?

Thank you all again for all the detailed and friendly replies. much appreciated.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I understand that shaman is not melee, maybe just the most martial of the priests/casters?
A good way to put it would be to say the Shaman's not a conventional melee class, but it can fight IN melee if it so wishes. Pick non-Iksar for slam to feel more melee-like.

Without high-end equipment Monk and SK can be regarded as equivalent, monk'll give a faster killrate, SK gives you the option to fear-kite. Advanced tactics include things such as combat bind-wound or (for monk) swapping 2H weapon in-and-out for some offhand fist swings. I do not regard either class as great for solo if you're using cheap gear, but either of them have the option to do so. Monk has to watch his weight which can be a nuisance if you want to loot stuff and can't afford a supply of weight-reduction bags, but gets his melee skills (and feign) much earlier, making it potentially stronger out the gate.

Danth
Old 03-24-2019, 04:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyway, the real answer to this thread is to make a monk with HP rings, SCHW, and some Wu's weapons (maybe nicer weapons if you can afford it or if you find yourself enjoying the class after 10-20 levels). A fungi is extremely nice for reducing downtime, but isn't really a requirement to simply kill stuff.
Agreed. Seems like the debate is more about what is the more worthwhile solo method for each class, which everyone seems to agree on more or less, it's just a question of can you versus should you with all things considered. Either way, Shamans and Shadow Knights aren't ideal separately for dungeon crawling, but complement each other well. Honestly, it's hard to argue with choosing a Monk over the other classes.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Sarnak

I played Monk on live. After reading all of the wonderful info posted, going over wiki info, available gear, required gear, and fun clickies... I think it comes down to SK, Shaman, and Bard. I'd love to hear more about high level bard solo play as I have only really duoed with my bard. Specifically in tight places where one could not kite, swarm, etc. I have a 24 shaman and 24 SK both with respectable gear. I have about 9K to blow and it will either go to twinking SK or shaman or re gearing my bard.

Thanks all
Old 03-24-2019, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played Monk on live. After reading all of the wonderful info posted, going over wiki info, available gear, required gear, and fun clickies... I think it comes down to SK, Shaman, and Bard. I'd love to hear more about high level bard solo play as I have only really duoed with my bard. Specifically in tight places where one could not kite, swarm, etc. I have a 24 shaman and 24 SK both with respectable gear. I have about 9K to blow and it will either go to twinking SK or shaman or re gearing my bard.

Thanks all
50+ bard dungeon crawling will mostly consist of charming a mob, sending it on other target, dotting it, then switching targets when charms break and dot old pet, repeat. Depending on the area, if you are comfortable with the environment, bard snare is extremely powerful and you can also fear kite in pretty tight spaces, timing your breaks and watching positioning while loading it up with dots and throwing in some face tanking. You will eventually run oom and have to afk for a long while as bards cap at 2 mana regen/tick sitting. If you continuously stock up on root nets, you can do some serious damage, even just sitting back and loading up as many dots as possible, but more importantly helping control additional adds if you get them on a crawl.

Thing about bard play in general is it just gets exhausting after awhile. I too, played a monk on live, so had no desire to play one here. Based on your original post, I think SK is the right move. They aren't fast soloers, but viable and you'll get some nice hack and slash and if you ever do raid they get access to some pretty cool toys. I've been leveling one and having FD again is great. I went Iksar because I prefer the way they look in Velious, along with regen & ac bonus. Greenmist is a nice perk too as I'll likely be skipping the epic. But can't really go wrong with any of their race choices. Will be even more fun next patch once they get on warrior dmg table as well as 2H dmg bonus.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
50+ bard dungeon crawling will mostly consist of charming a mob, sending it on other target, dotting it, then switching targets when charms break and dot old pet, repeat. Depending on the area, if you are comfortable with the environment, bard snare is extremely powerful and you can also fear kite in pretty tight spaces, timing your breaks and watching positioning while loading it up with dots and throwing in some face tanking. You will eventually run oom and have to afk for a long while as bards cap at 2 mana regen/tick sitting. If you continuously stock up on root nets, you can do some serious damage, even just sitting back and loading up as many dots as possible, but more importantly helping control additional adds if you get them on a crawl.

Thing about bard play in general is it just gets exhausting after awhile. I too, played a monk on live, so had no desire to play one here. Based on your original post, I think SK is the right move. They aren't fast soloers, but viable and you'll get some nice hack and slash and if you ever do raid they get access to some pretty cool toys. I've been leveling one and having FD again is great. I went Iksar because I prefer the way they look in Velious, along with regen & ac bonus. Greenmist is a nice perk too as I'll likely be skipping the epic. But can't really go wrong with any of their race choices. Will be even more fun next patch once they get on warrior dmg table as well as 2H dmg bonus.
I think you are right - Bard is a lot of attention and action and my hands are old haha.

Thank you all for the info and comments. I think I am going to see how SK pains out. I wish ranger was more viable because that would be amazing but... I have a 50 ranger and it was a huge waste of time.....
Old 03-24-2019, 05:57 PM
Fire Giant

For bards, as mentioned earlier, mez rotting in tight spaces in dungeons is definitely viable and not bad. Bards have a lot in their toolkit to deal with situations that arise. As long as you don’t go over lvl 55 mobs, you can essentially kill any mob in a dungeon as a bard, just not quickly. As you get better gear, it makes it way easier, of course.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanjil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For bards, as mentioned earlier, mez rotting in tight spaces in dungeons is definitely viable and not bad. Bards have a lot in their toolkit to deal with situations that arise. As long as you don’t go over lvl 55 mobs, you can essentially kill any mob in a dungeon as a bard, just not quickly. As you get better gear, it makes it way easier, of course.
For this method is it more viable to go pure melee and buff yourself with your songs or is a drum and the chant dots higher DPS? I am sure it comes down to gear etc. I assume dots isn't the way to go or if it is you need to be careful as it will break mez if the dot is still active?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I fully endorse this post. When I solo in dungeons with my bard, I'm always tired at the end. Playing with an overgeared SK is just easy-going comparatively.

cheers,

Astuce
Closed Thread