Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

To make this change now is like taking crack away from a crackhead, of course he's going to get pissed and want it back, however it is classic and should have been in game on day one. I played a mage back in 99 I can tell you that even with this change, mages (any pet class for that matter) still level faster than any other class (maybe not bard).

That's the key right there (see the bold).
Old 10-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrypts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone able to give more insight on the weapon damage changes? Also could you recommend some weapons that would be good to put on pets? For example, does the weapon damage always do 2x the base damage and if that amount isn't greater than the pet's natural damage it isn't worth putting the weapon on the pet? (Edit)

I tried giving my pet a weighted axe but it just ate it. This dwarven two-hander is proving to be quite a damage upgrade on my level 16 pet. Hitting for 29 instead of 20.
You want to give your pet high damage weapons only...forget about delay. The weighted axe eventually went to no-pet which meant pets could not equip. I am unsure on the time frame it got nerfed to no-pet, but it was one of the only weapons in the game to have this happen (I think along with the slow-stick).
Old 10-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To make this change now is like taking crack away from a crackhead, of course he's going to get pissed and want it back, however it is classic and should have been in game on day one. I played a mage back in 99 I can tell you that even with this change, mages (any pet class for that matter) still level faster than any other class (maybe not bard).
As a 60 necro it's easy to dismiss the complaints of level 20-something pet-classes needing to grind more as the whinings of a crackhead.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Planar Protector

It hasn't affected my necro so far, but is it really fair to say that? They have tools that help keep mobs away from them, so they can lifetap and rack up the damage.

That doesn't mean I like the change, not when pet delay and aggro remain the same (IE not classic).
Last edited by MrSparkle001; 10-23-2011 at 10:05 PM..
Old 10-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Sarnak

Did druid just become the second fastest class to levelup solo? I think it did.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Planar Protector

So I don't really mind nerfs to charm soloing because (lets face it) it was insanely OP if you were even moderately good. Besides, the whole point of EQ is to group and meet and chat up random strangers. And if you have a goblin gazhugi ring and a good supply of mobs you can mostly get around this anyway.

What's more irritating to me is (as pickled says) this is a pretty substantial nerf to enchanters in small groups, since a charmed pet will easily outdps 1 tank + 1 dps class (plus, that dps class now has to be rogue/monk because a mage/necro will just supply another pet. So realistically, if you want to have a charmed pet you need at least 2 monks/rogues in your group. That's kind of uncool).
Old 10-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Planar Protector

Wow... just wow. You're all up in arms over being reduced to only ~ 10x as effective at soloing as a melee? Seriously? Entitlement mentality barely begins to describe this. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist_santa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like how people say the solution is to group more. I started an enchanter to get groups but I cant cast any spells besides buffs or mob trains straight to me (don't remember that on classic). Also have you guys played a lowbie toon recently? Where the hell are the warriors? Im stuck grouping with hybrids which again suck exp. All the exp changes in this game almost made me quit live originally. I played troll sk. Sucked ass being passed for groups because of exp penalty.
First, why would anybody bother playing a Warrior when a Mage or Necro is a thousand times better unless you have either a steady group or a pocket 50 Necro to PL you?

Second, I find it mind-boggling that they've replicated the moronic EQ XP penalties here. "Hey guys, hybrids might be 5% as effective as pet casters at soloing, so let's penalize every fool who groups with hybrids."
Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I don't really mind nerfs to charm soloing because (lets face it) it was insanely OP if you were even moderately good. Besides, the whole point of EQ is to group and meet and chat up random strangers. And if you have a goblin gazhugi ring and a good supply of mobs you can mostly get around this anyway.

What's more irritating to me is (as pickled says) this is a pretty substantial nerf to enchanters in small groups, since a charmed pet will easily outdps 1 tank + 1 dps class (plus, that dps class now has to be rogue/monk because a mage/necro will just supply another pet. So realistically, if you want to have a charmed pet you need at least 2 monks/rogues in your group. That's kind of uncool).
Yeah the soloing isn't so bad. In fact even if you do the usual charm stuff and even get 50% on the first mob you kill, when you break charm and kill your former pet you'll get 100% on that one. (Of course if you feel like fiddling around and don't mind nuking twice you can break charm early, kill your former pet first, then get 100% on both too).

But it sucks big time for small group...and especially duo play. You can't go and say...duo with an sk and fear kite while you use a charm pet for dps. Your charmed pet is where most of the damage is so now the exp is cut in half doing that. In fact, in almost every combination of ench + somebody duo, this is going to be annoying. Funny enough ENC + cleric is hit the least hard, since it's basically "soloing with a healer", thus you'd be breaking charm/killing pet regularly for full exp the most often.

Beyond enchanters, there's enough pet class dps going around that you can run into this as a problem even in full groups. It isn't constant, but it certainly isn't uncommon to have the dps in your group in sebilis or something consist of 2 mages and a necro or whatever.

I can live with the change, but it's pretty disappointing and makes the game a bit less fun.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 AM
Sarnak

hopefully mend goes back to refreshing everytime you zone omg
Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

felt this firsthand tonight. had an aggro kite group with a mage and necro... exp was painfully slow due to pet nerf. i can see why you guys might want to nerf solo play of mages as it stands now, but this solution isn't making mages or necros particularly appealing to groups. after tonight, i'll be leaning towards groups with 1 or less pet class. and hell no to charm pets in groups!
Closed Thread