Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 02:21 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Settings wont save.

When i log out of p99 and log back in my option settings will not save. I will have to redo the video settings, sound, key bindings, and filter every time i log in. I dont know why its not saving. I use WinEQ to launch p99. Any help would be greatly appreciated. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-21-2019, 02:49 AM
Fire Giant

eq folder as read only, change that and should fix this
Oralen - 60 Ranger <Core>
Old 01-21-2019, 02:54 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifield [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
eq folder as read only, change that and should fix this
So my Everquest folder is read only. hmmmm
Old 01-25-2019, 04:37 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hi All,

I am having a similar issue and hoping to get help. I am Linux Mint 18 user using wine. Game looks and plays great, but I have no sound. I noticed that when I open OptionsEditor.exe and make updates, they are not being saved even though I click 'Finish' button. Oddly enough, the only setting that WILL save is the Resolution setting.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://pasteboard.co/HY87hZh.png

Any advice/tips/help/suggestions?

Thanks,
Ravana
Old 01-28-2019, 06:28 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi All,

I am having a similar issue and hoping to get help. I am Linux Mint 18 user using wine. Game looks and plays great, but I have no sound. I noticed that when I open OptionsEditor.exe and make updates, they are not being saved even though I click 'Finish' button. Oddly enough, the only setting that WILL save is the Resolution setting.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://pasteboard.co/HY87hZh.png

Any advice/tips/help/suggestions?

Thanks,
Ravana

The directory EQ is installed in should be read/writable, as well as the config files.

Additionally, it may help to verify what format the actual files are in as wine requires that the files be in DOS format. If your EQ files are accessible from the Linux CLI, you can test them with the following command. Be sure to use the correct case for the name and don't forget to include the extension. This will tell you if the file is in DOS format or not.

[monkeh@test]$ od -xcb input_file_name | less

or

[monkeh@test]$ od -xcb /path/to/input_file_name | less

To quit less, just press q.

What you will be looking for is spaced groupings of line terminators \r \n. If this is the case then you should be fine.

If you just see \n as the line terminator, then it's in Unix format and you'll need to run the dos2unix command against all of your config files and perhaps even your log files if they are't getting log data.

Let me know if this helps.

-Fryeday
Old 01-28-2019, 08:44 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObSoLeet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When i log out of p99 and log back in my option settings will not save. I will have to redo the video settings, sound, key bindings, and filter every time i log in. I dont know why its not saving. I use WinEQ to launch p99. Any help would be greatly appreciated. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This also applies to your situation, so if you could verify the information I've listed below.

The directory EQ is installed in should be read/writable, as well as the config files.

Additionally, it may help to verify what format the actual files are in as wine requires that the files be in DOS format. If your EQ files are accessible from the Linux CLI, you can test them with the following command. Be sure to use the correct case for the name and don't forget to include the extension. This will tell you if the file is in DOS format or not.

[monkeh@test]$ od -xcb input_file_name | less

or

[monkeh@test]$ od -xcb /path/to/input_file_name | less

To quit less, just press q.

What you will be looking for is spaced groupings of line terminators \r \n. If this is the case then you should be fine.

If you just see \n as the line terminator, then it's in Unix format and you'll need to run the dos2unix command against all of your config files and perhaps even your log files if they aren't getting log data.

Let me know if this helps.

-Fryeday
Last edited by Wraythian; 01-28-2019 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: additional info and typo
Old 01-30-2019, 12:32 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Hi there Fryeday,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I finally had time to try your suggestion and was able to verify using the od command that the end of line terminators are indeed in format /r /n (DOS per your info) at least in the eqclient.ini file. Do I need to test all of the files in my EQ folder?

As far as permissions, I previously did a 'sudo chmod -R 777 ./Everquest' to recursively open up the permissions for the whole folder as to remove any doubt on that front. I have my 'Everquest' folder in the following location: $home/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/Everquest

I used chmod to recursive open up the permissions for everything in/including Everquest directory. Do I need to go further upstream (e.g. 'Sony' directory or would that be unnecessary?)

Based on some info in another thread here on the forum (see: P99 on Linux Mint 19.1 64bit) I may go ahead and start from scratch doing a clean linux install and installing 32bit wine. So that may obviate the need to troubleshoot this particular issue but still curious and I might try this solution before going down that other route.

Thanks again,
Ravana
Old 01-30-2019, 11:45 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi there Fryeday,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I finally had time to try your suggestion and was able to verify using the od command that the end of line terminators are indeed in format /r /n (DOS per your info) at least in the eqclient.ini file. Do I need to test all of the files in my EQ folder?

As far as permissions, I previously did a 'sudo chmod -R 777 ./Everquest' to recursively open up the permissions for the whole folder as to remove any doubt on that front. I have my 'Everquest' folder in the following location: $home/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/Everquest

I used chmod to recursive open up the permissions for everything in/including Everquest directory. Do I need to go further upstream (e.g. 'Sony' directory or would that be unnecessary?)

Based on some info in another thread here on the forum (see: P99 on Linux Mint 19.1 64bit) I may go ahead and start from scratch doing a clean linux install and installing 32bit wine. So that may obviate the need to troubleshoot this particular issue but still curious and I might try this solution before going down that other route.

Thanks again,
Ravana
No worries. What I was checking for is the correct file format so that the config and log files are read/writable by the application files. I will be contributing to the EQ on Linux aspects here on the forums and on the Wiki, but won't have time to start my lab testing until this weekend.

-Fryeday
Last edited by Wraythian; 01-30-2019 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: additional info