Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well ...

A) there were never free accounts on live, so comparing that to P99 is really apples and oranges
B) boxing two accounts on the same computer was a ban-worthy offense in the classic era

Using two separate accounts, with two separate computers, with two separate internet connections (which meant two separate phone lines for most people), was extremely rare back in '99 ... but that was allowed. But if someone to wanted to play two accounts on the same machine/connection, that was impossible with the native EQ client. There was a 3rd-party program (EQW) that let you do it ... but 3rd-party programs were banned.

So yes, if you paid $20 a month, plus you bought two computers at $1000+ each, paid $40 a month for two internet connections, another $40 a month for two lines ... then you could box legally. But that's not even remotely comparable to the free accounts on P99, which you can play ten of on the same computer/internet connection. So really, boxing bans were classic.
You didnt need 2 internet connections. Both my parents, myself and my younger brother all played EQ in 99. We had 2 computers setup on a huge ass desk. We had 3 accounts between the 4 of us and boxed whenever someone wasnt around to duo with. It wasnt as efficient as it could have been but was easily done.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:21 AM
Kobold

Not when you're on dial-up.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:35 AM
Sarnak

That's all there was where I live (dial up) and people boxed on it; and more than 2 accounts. It was possible.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Planar Protector

It's not really on point; but it was certainly possible and done by many. I had access to four real life friend accounts (I only paid for mine---but we shared our user info for emergencies, etc.). It didn't take a great deal of bandwidth to log one of them on for a transfer, or a rez, or a buff, or a port, etc.

I wasn't playing with them all boxing them, but I could certainly log them in for simple stuff. It sometimes took painfully long to move them around, but it didn't matter for what I wanted them for.

It doesn't matter here, but its true that boxing for simple stuff wasn't very rare on live.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriedpast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you the messiah?
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

As for all the "we did it on live nps"... if Sony wasn't profiting from it I don't think they'd have allowed it.

Right now it makes no sense to box on H1Z1, but if there was money in it... hell yes they'd let you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Sarnak

Internet connection sharing. We had 2-3 people playing through one dial up connection.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbousaur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Internet connection sharing. We had 2-3 people playing through one dial up connection.
3 people on a single 56k modem? I'll believe that it could work, but I would be very surprised if there wasn't some serious lag while doing that ....

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Fire Giant

not everyone had dialups in the year 2000.

Blue: Dolic - 60 Bard / Dolik- 60 Monk / Mazzarin - 60 Wizard / Fael 60 Necro / Kaylen - 60 Paladin
Old 03-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not everyone had dialups in the year 2000.
Right, except the person Lora was responding to said they were playing on dial up ^^
Closed Thread