Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Kobold

By and large, it's an extremely impressive re-creation, and I'd say 99.98% true to time period, with most inaccuracies having to do with the Titanium Client.

Like others have said, I do recall resists being significantly more useful on live in this era. My guild spent a fair amount of time doing Velious content, (granted, a lot of that was during the Luclin timeframe, because Good team was so far behind Evil & Neutral on Sullon Zek) and I remember very clearly that having 200+ resist practically made you immune to fear and DD AE's from dragons, as long as you were 59 or 60. 250 resist and level 60, it was like a 2% chance that Fears & Normal AE's would land on you.

One other thing that a lot of people probably don't care about, but I'm 100% certain of, is being able to use duck to get into rocks/landscape for a LONG time, at LEAST through Velious, and I think even through all of Luclin. This was how I entered The Hole as a Good Team Ranger on Sullon Zek - I never got a Hole Key, I just rapid-ducked/strafed, and could get through. It was also really handy for staying safe as an under-geared melee when Wizards and Druids ruled the pvp servers (on newer servers, nobody has resist gear yet). It was also a dead give-away to show who was a cheater, when wizards run right up to you in the middle of freaking nowhere in Everfrost or Skyfire when you're invis inside a boulder. Anyway, most if not all "landscape" types of boulders and rocks could be entered that way, and as long as they were the type that had an overhang above your height, you could get in by ducking/strafing. There weren't restrictions on exiting either, you could walk right out, it was getting in that took just a little bit of practice.

Anyway, if I could fix just 1 thing to make it more "accurate", it would be tweaking the resists slightly. However, it's honestly probably good for the server that it's a little more "hard mode" with the resists the way they are...
Old 01-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomuch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One other thing that a lot of people probably don't care about, but I'm 100% certain of, is being able to use duck to get into rocks/landscape for a LONG time, at LEAST through Velious, and I think even through all of Luclin. This was how I entered The Hole as a Good Team Ranger on Sullon Zek - I never got a Hole Key, I just rapid-ducked/strafed, and could get through. It was also really handy for staying safe as an under-geared melee when Wizards and Druids ruled the pvp servers (on newer servers, nobody has resist gear yet). It was also a dead give-away to show who was a cheater, when wizards run right up to you in the middle of freaking nowhere in Everfrost or Skyfire when you're invis inside a boulder. Anyway, most if not all "landscape" types of boulders and rocks could be entered that way, and as long as they were the type that had an overhang above your height, you could get in by ducking/strafing. There weren't restrictions on exiting either, you could walk right out, it was getting in that took just a little bit of practice.
This can be achieved very easily with the boulder at the bottom of the elevator in Paineel. It's the only one I'm aware so far though.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This can be achieved very easily with the boulder at the bottom of the elevator in Paineel. It's the only one I'm aware so far though.
Also the jail in Droga [1].

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

Default Flavor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of it is quite accurate, but it still doesn't feel classic and won't unless the classic client is implemented. But so many folks would cry with only 6 hot buttons and a single chat window and true night blindness.
I like the EQ UI and the ones some RPG's had back in the day, computer monitors have advanced since and are no longer a standard size. 4k and ultrawide screens for example. The hotkey buttons we have now and the view sizes are good.

That said, you're right people would cry about night blindness the same way they did in classic. Humans are Barbarians have it bad but spells and items are in game to compensate for that. Its why those things are there and with no reason for them they are meaningless. I do think Dark Elves should have had reduced sight during the day to go along with their Ultravision, and to a lesser extent the same with Serpent Sight races.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 01-05-2018 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: flavoring
Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of it is quite accurate, but it still doesn't feel classic and won't unless the classic client is implemented. But so many folks would cry with only 6 hot buttons and a single chat window and true night blindness.
Keep in mind by this era we properly should have the Velious interface. We'd still be stuck with one chat window (yuck!) but many of the other elements were significantly modernized. I find a lot of folks have entirely forgotten the Velious-specific interface, given how short a period it was in use for (and some people never used it at all) before being replaced with the Luclin/PoP interface that's basically similar to the one Titanium uses but with a black skin instead.

Danth
Old 01-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristlebaner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree that the overall feel is pretty darn realistic. My curiosity is more centered on things like:

1.) Resists on P99 vs. back in 1999

2.) How many HP a character would have at a given level vs. P99

3.) Do pets hit as hard, or as often as they would on P99 as they did in classic? HP values? Mitigation?

These are things that are much harder to quantify as they involve math and calculations behind the scenes.

Did the staff reverse engineer some of this data or did they do a best guess?
1. Resists are definitely not accurate. On live, a level 20 mob would never land spells on a 60. On here, my 100 MR 60 druid gets rooted by level 20 mobs.

2. This is very accurate.

3. This is also very accurate
Old 01-05-2018, 09:53 PM
Planar Protector

There is a thread about mage pets that used to spam spells in classic much more than they do here, so not sure how that effects their damage output.

As far as regular combat, i always felt npc channeling was always too low on p99 and that pushing an npc was entirely too easy. I made a big thread about that in the bug forums, just have to get around to measuring some values seen in classic videos vs p99 mobs.

I do agree that the UI elements ruin a lot of the immersion, seeing things like shroud progression tabs and such. My hope is that when timeline competes they work on some other key fixes then make a huge push for adjusting the UI. May require some crafty tricks, but hopefully they can do it.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Fire Giant

Melee endurance / weapon weight is the #1 big one by far - non-stop pulls with melee heavy parties were never possible unless SHM/RNG were using zings.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Melee endurance / weapon weight is the #1 big one by far - non-stop pulls with melee heavy parties were never possible unless SHM/RNG were using zings.
Possible this may have been an urban legend, afraid that no endurance had an affect on melee. According to Sorn's matter stamina bug report it would seem there were no negative effects if your stamina was over 100. Below 100 you lost some str /dex and maybe had a 10% slow.

If people realized this in classic it may have been used to mitigate mob AoE slows, since they used to fight with rez effects so the slow AoE wouldn't take hold.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:44 PM
Fire Giant

In 2003 it changed from "Stamina" (bar) to Endurance.

You're probably correct on the 100 cut off though.

http://www.eqcleric.com/archive/index.php/t-4498.html

Related patch notes to this and the rez thing you mention:

"./20001219.html:<li>The stamina reduction with "Resurrection Effects" has been replaced by a slight attack-speed debuff."

./20031218.html:<p>The yellow bar now represents endurance rather than stamina.</p>

./20031218.html:<p>All Disciplines now require an expenditure of endurance to use. They still have a re-use timer, and they can't be used more often than the timer allows.</p>