Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 11:34 PM
Fire Giant

Default Server accuracy

I was thinking the other day about the accuracy of P99. Obviously the staff has nailed the big stuff, no map, no compass, old spell effects and models etc.

My big curiousity is around combat and mechanics. How close is mob damage, chance to hit, AC, etc. to what it was back in classic. Most of this is just guesswork right?

Would love to hear thoughts.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:13 AM
Aviak

melees are much stronger than they should be due to the complete removal of endurance/swing mechanics (weapon weight mattered btw)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 AM
Planar Protector

P99 is pretty serious in terms of accuracy. It's a fan server but in terms of Era based yes accurate. A lot of community effort and dev hours went into recreating p99.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:06 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When it doubt, just make it hit harder and drop less loot.
lol

that's great

Cylock the Halfing Slayer
Old 01-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 is pretty serious in terms of accuracy. It's a fan server but in terms of Era based yes accurate. A lot of community effort and dev hours went into recreating p99.
I agree that the overall feel is pretty darn realistic. My curiosity is more centered on things like:

1.) Resists on P99 vs. back in 1999

2.) How many HP a character would have at a given level vs. P99

3.) Do pets hit as hard, or as often as they would on P99 as they did in classic? HP values? Mitigation?

These are things that are much harder to quantify as they involve math and calculations behind the scenes.

Did the staff reverse engineer some of this data or did they do a best guess?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristlebaner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree that the overall feel is pretty darn realistic. My curiosity is more centered on things like:

3.) Do pets hit as hard, or as often as they would on P99 as they did in classic? HP values? Mitigation?

These are things that are much harder to quantify as they involve math and calculations behind the scenes.

Some of these data points are from player data (like old log files). Some of it is anecdotal. Some things have been explained by devs, like certain formulae about AC.

The system is not perfect, nor is it ever likely to be so. It can't be reverse engineered from the client or from the current iteration of live. People's memory's aren't perfect. People's log files are incomplete. I'd be surprised if the devs who worked on it can even accurately describe its inner-workings at this point, much less at every single update made along the classic timeline.

I wouldn't reduce their efforts down to "the best guess"; they have put a lot of effort into trying to recreate the systems as authentically as possible.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristlebaner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's all correct, don't worry about it.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

A lot of it is quite accurate, but it still doesn't feel classic and won't unless the classic client is implemented. But so many folks would cry with only 6 hot buttons and a single chat window and true night blindness.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Sarnak

It was said that wizards in sebilis began to cast ice commet watch out everyone.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

resists and ac suck here. expect to get rooted by green con casters with over 120 mr all day.