Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 07:47 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Using a 2h weapon 1-60 as War or SK

Is this viable or would it prove both impossible and in the end not useful at all for DPS or tanking in end-game raids?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:48 PM
Banned

Pretty sure a decent 2H is going to give you more dps and more aggro than any reasonable DW or 1H + Shield combo.

2H weapons offer great value here, if you go Warrior pickup a Staff of Battle. If you go SK maybe target a DN style 2H weapon.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:33 PM
Sarnak

I feel that 2h falls off a bit in Velious with the introduction of the Frostbringer for warriors. Combined with a decent off hand it seems to out damage and out aggro most 2h available. As an SK 2h is the way to go for most content. SK get so little from the addition of a shield and the generally slower 2h actually benefit the SK by making it easier to cast without losing melee swings.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Fire Giant

Well I’d say have a mix of all kinds of weapons to skill up as you level up
Old 03-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Sarnak

Both of those weapons are poor aggro. Aggro is almost entirely spell based which puts an emphasis on procs. An SK can easily use spells however a warrior will struggle without a proccing weapon. This is fine if you are DPSing but if you are the tank you will wanto to prioritize Aggro procs like the rune blade over dps weapons like Exquisite 2h
Old 03-08-2018, 12:00 AM
Planar Protector

My sperglord calculator suggests that a Reaver is 48 hate per second vs Infestation/Frostbringer at 81 hate per second. This is the L60 calculation, so when you are leveling you probably won't have max dex and you certainly will dual wield less, but I still find it hard to believe the Reaver will make up the difference. After the great 2H damage bonus buff 2H weapons will be decent but still behind 1H for pure threat.

TDLR: if you have a blinding orb, you can probably make it work
Old 03-08-2018, 03:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is this viable or would it prove both impossible and in the end not useful at all for DPS or tanking in end-game raids?
Warriors get triple attack (primary only)at 60, which proportionally benefits 2 handers more than dw.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Kobold

On my 60 sk, I'm using a 2 hander more than half the time. Gotta have my 1h and shield for tanking green drakes in HoT or rounding out the tank list on some raid mobs.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:14 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veleria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Both of those weapons are poor aggro. Aggro is almost entirely spell based which puts an emphasis on procs. An SK can easily use spells however a warrior will struggle without a proccing weapon. This is fine if you are DPSing but if you are the tank you will wanto to prioritize Aggro procs like the rune blade over dps weapons like Exquisite 2h
58 warrior checking in. I have Infestation and WESS for aggro proc weapons. I only use both if I absolutely need to hold aggro on a raid or something like that and if my personal DPS doesn't need to be maxed and if I'm using a defensive discipline I'd say that's the case. In most group set ups I use Infestation and and either Dagas or Jagged Blade of Mourning in offhand depending on group comp and stuff like that. I get and hold aggro just fine.Keep in mind I have cloak of flames for haste.

You don't need to generate as much aggro as possible every fight, you just gotta stay ahead of your group.

Edit-Forgot to mention, I love pulling out my Runed Blade if the group comp is right. Rune procs don't generate a ton of aggro but it is enough in some cases and will help your healer out. Works great in no cleric groups.
Last edited by ScruffMacBuff; 03-08-2018 at 11:19 PM..
Old 03-09-2018, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

if you have a better haste item and better quality weapon than the rest of your group then you will hold aggro just fine without any proc.

If the rest of the group is higher level/better haste/better ratio weapon then you will not hold aggro well without procs unless people manage aggro like they are supposed to (evade/fd)

You can lvl to 60 as tank with the worst 2h weapon ever equipped as long as someone keeps the target mob rooted and you stand the closest to it
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Closed Thread