Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did't you see the scene with Varys? She's already made her case for redemption to him. She brought "Ice and fire" together to confront the white walkers. And she knows for sure she's going to die if h she returns to aid them, but she's going to do it anyway. Hence, she knows she's sacrificing herself. I think varys silence says far more than a throw away line from bran.
agree that brans line was pretty empty, might be he was just comforting(lying to) a soon dead theon. have to rewatch still.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
melisandre did more than theon. her problem is a lack of dialogue acknowledging it. it's plainly obvious anyway.
Good way to put it
Old 04-30-2019, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
agree that brans line was pretty empty, might be he was just comforting(lying to) a soon dead theon. have to rewatch still.
Right, what is he supposed to say to him? Theon, you were a giant asshole but you did some nice stuff too. Just thought I'd recapitulate your whole story arc just you before you die, bro, cause feminazis and stuff.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:26 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
10. Why suddenly was the Hound portrayed as an absolute quitter/coward?
I feel like you haven't been paying attention, at all.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The article didn't have a valid point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're better than that. Thinking the article is hot garbage is in no way fear of women.

The whole article just came across as agenda-pushing.
Did you guys read the same article as me, or did you just get through a paragraph, think "femizazi!" and run off?

The article I read made a very valid point about redemption arcs, both in GoT and in general. The very valid point it made was that men almost exclusively get the redemption arcs: women don't.

So look, disagree with feminism (ie. women being equal to men) all you want, but if you want to disagree with the article start by giving some real examples of female redemption arcs that actually contradict the article's point, in GoT or elsewhere. Maybe the very act of trying to do so will change your mind, precisely because there are so few.

In GoT Melisandre is as close as you'll find, and she very much wasn't redeemed in the same way Theon was. Both literally (nobody said she was, whereas the source of all knowledge in the world explicitly told Theon he was) and thematically (Theon had a long story taking him from being a villain to being a hero; Melisandre just disappeared and showed up).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-30-2019 at 04:43 PM..
Old 04-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you guys read the same article as me, or did you just get through a paragraph, think "femizazi!" and run off?

The article I read made a very valid point about redemption arcs, both in GoT and in general. The very valid point they made was that men almost exclusively get the redemption arcs: women don't.

So look, disagree with feminism (ie. women being equal to men) all you want, but if you want to disagree with the article start by giving some real examples of female redemption arcs.

In GoT Melisandre is as close as you'll find, and she very much wasn't redeemed in the same way Theon was, both literally (nobody said she was, whereas the source of all knowledge in the world explicitly told Theon he was) and thematically (Theon had a long story taking him from being a villain to being a hero; Melisandre just disappeared and showed up).

Feminism is not about women being equal to men. It's about women continuing to get the advantages that they were always afforded by society WHILE ALSO getting the advantages that men got.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Feminism is not about women being equal to men. It's about women continuing to get the advantages that they were always afforded by society WHILE ALSO getting the advantages that men got.
No, that's the made up definition in your head from reading too much chauvinistic crap.

Quote:
fem·i·nism
/ˈfeməˌnizəm/
noun
the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.
Quote:
on the basis of the equality of the sexes

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, that's the made up definition in your head from reading too much chauvinistic crap.
Denialism.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Denialism.
I'm not the one making up my own definition of words and denying what the dictionary actually says.

P.S. Got any examples of female redemption arcs in GoT yet?

Old 04-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not the one making up my own definition of words and denying what the dictionary actually says.
Feminism being about equality of the sexes is a made up definition. We already have a word for that; "Equality".

Feminicism would be a better word for it.

Look, Bro. I have a fiance and 4 daughters. I love women.

On that note, my fiance and I have had candid discussions about the outright hostility towards men in the current era, especially WHITE men, and how this has created an environment of stymied growth opportunities; and how her and I can approach career with that understanding so that we can exploit said system by catapulting her career by myself cross-training her into my career field, and then taking advantage of "diversity quota" requirements to land her in a lucrative position.

I write her resume. I teach her how to do the rote tasks. I develop the modelling tools she will need to succeed. Erryting.

Eat my asshole, hater.
Closed Thread