Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Sarnak

Default Transgender MMORPG Preferences

I'm going to attempt this again because the last thread got labeled "problematic" and deleted. I'm moving this to the Off Topic section; if this is the wrong forum category to post this, then please move it.

I know there's a big transgender community here in Project 1999 and I've seriously always wondered what their preferences are. I've always been interested in the different preferences of men and women in EQ and gaming in general. I'm looking to see if there are any similarities to trans people and how their preferences may have changed as they transitioned.

Please be mature

This is NOT intended to be a hateful thread.

Please do NOT post hateful comments about trans people here.

If you are not trans, but want to answer the questions, please feel free to do so, but please also include your gender.

What is your favorite race & class to play in EQ?

What gender do you generally choose for your character?

When you play MMOs or RPGs in general, what do you look for in your characters? (Appearance, fun abilities, min/max etc)

What role do you prefer to play as? (supportive/healing, a damage, tanking, etc.)

Do you like to lead groups/raids, sit back and go along with others, or do you prefer to solo instead?

Do you enjoy PvP and actively seek it out or is it just another game mode for you?

Are you more interested in the social aspect of EQ or powergaming and reaching goals?

Are you M2F or F2M? Pre/Post-op? Are you undergoing HRT?

Have you noticed any of your gaming preferences change as you transitioned?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

These questions seem pretty broad. Like, transgender people are just people; the fact that they are transgender doesn't decide whether they raid, whether they tank, or whether they play a Rogue or a Wizard.

Are you trying to find some great insights into the mind of transgender MMOG players? That seems a little odd, but hey, I've wasted many hours on guides for an almost two decade-old game, so who am I to judge? But if that's your goal, as many transgender people as we have on this forum, it's nowhere near enough to get a proper cohort for a study ...

... so the best your questions can do is elicit meaningless responses from a sample size that's too small, leading you to draw inaccurate conclusions about an entire community.

I dunno, I'm all for people stepping out of their comfort zone and trying to learn about people who are different from them, but this whole post feels a bit off.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Banned

Im glad we have loramin here to speak on behalf of our transgender community.

Sit down for once and stop with your whitesplaing.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmoranis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im glad we have loramin here to speak on behalf of our transgender community.

Sit down for once and stop with your whitesplaing.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Dude imagine if he came here asking the same exact questions about straight white males? Scared child, do you play a Warrior because you're straight? Mick do you raid because you're white?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dude imagine if he came here asking the same exact questions about straight white males? Scared child, do you play a Warrior because you're straight? Mick do you raid because you're white?
You're being very problematic right now.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:19 PM
Banned

My gender journey was definitely influenced, or may be reflected in, my MMO preferences. Tabbed for later. Thank you for the Paladin's shield tho big Lore
Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Banned

In hindsight I would roll a dreanai at BC crusade launch and play a strictly holy pally in PvP. Then after wotlk ended, I'd end it.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by America [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for the Paladin's shield tho big Lore
NP, but I wasn't trying to shield anyone. My post was not trying to suggest that transgender people couldn't speak for themselves, or needed me to defend them, or anything like that.

I just think, as a straight white cis-male, that it's weird to ask a bunch of game-related questions about a completely non-game related identity aspect like someone's sexuality or gender.

Now if he'd asked something like "do you think you got into MMOGs because they let you express your true gender at a time in your life when you couldn't express it in the real world" or something like that, then of course it'd be topical (and actually that's something I've wondered myself).

But what does whether you raid or not have to do with your gender identity? It's like asking whether you cook your own meals, or whether you bike to work, in relation to whether you raid or not.

Last edited by loramin; 10-15-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Banned

yes Sir
Closed Thread