Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Fire Giant

I actually enjoyed EQ2 but it was never the same as EQ1.

I was one of the few weirdos that migrated out of the TEST Server back in 2003/2004 and left behind my alliance, led at that time by the infamous Sinbash, leader of the Botsquad.

I was looking for something new and with more people (I practically knew everybody in test and even talked on the phone with some on long distance calls from Venezuela to USA ... Yep I was strange, but arent we all to a certain degree?) and with something new to do.

In Hindsight though, when I was playing EQ2 and began suffering the crapfest of SHARED XP LOSS and the silly /pizza command to try to "compete" with WoW I knew right away It was not EQ but something related to it.

SO yeah I enjoyed EQ2 , heck I even have, alongside all my EQ1 RPG Core books the rareish EQ2 roleplaying game out of nostalgia.

It was a good game, extremely clunky at best but the whole idea of player housing, moving furniture and then when time passed AAs to emulate some of the good old EQ1 system, it became a bit better.

If this is a trolling thread, so be it, but I enjoyed it ... but after 2 decades, I am here still and not on an eq2 shard or official server playing it.

I have tried hard to not come here and play a bit with my druid and alts but this stuff is like a HARD DRUG.

I guess as I grow older nostalgia burdens me with its twilight embrace, but please, do not be hard on me .. I am exiled out of my own country and if I look at it from a certain perspective, Playing EQ1 back in my little basement in Venezuela is the only thing that brings good memories that I can tap into at any time when being online.

So I do not know about you all, but related to OPs thread, yes, EQ2 was fun, in as much as it was "something" that budded off EQ1 .

In short EQ2 was good only because of it being composed by things EQ1 not for it being a game ... for me at least.

Love to everyone from the Lonely Isthmus!
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 10-01-2019, 05:12 PM
Fire Giant

I liked EQ2 a lot.

But just like everything else, Sony ruined it in a couple years.

Once they got rid of neighborhoods in Qeynos and Freeport, and made everyone start in Kunark, Felwithe and Neriak the game totally lost it's charm.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Banned

I remember having lots of soul shards in blackburrow with no way to get them back and every soul shard i could not get back made more soul shards.

then i went back to wow
Old 10-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormotus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I actually enjoyed EQ2 but it was never the same as EQ1.

I was one of the few weirdos that migrated out of the TEST Server back in 2003/2004 and left behind my alliance, led at that time by the infamous Sinbash, leader of the Botsquad.

I was looking for something new and with more people (I practically knew everybody in test and even talked on the phone with some on long distance calls from Venezuela to USA ... Yep I was strange, but arent we all to a certain degree?) and with something new to do.

In Hindsight though, when I was playing EQ2 and began suffering the crapfest of SHARED XP LOSS and the silly /pizza command to try to "compete" with WoW I knew right away It was not EQ but something related to it.

SO yeah I enjoyed EQ2 , heck I even have, alongside all my EQ1 RPG Core books the rareish EQ2 roleplaying game out of nostalgia.

It was a good game, extremely clunky at best but the whole idea of player housing, moving furniture and then when time passed AAs to emulate some of the good old EQ1 system, it became a bit better.

If this is a trolling thread, so be it, but I enjoyed it ... but after 2 decades, I am here still and not on an eq2 shard or official server playing it.

I have tried hard to not come here and play a bit with my druid and alts but this stuff is like a HARD DRUG.

I guess as I grow older nostalgia burdens me with its twilight embrace, but please, do not be hard on me .. I am exiled out of my own country and if I look at it from a certain perspective, Playing EQ1 back in my little basement in Venezuela is the only thing that brings good memories that I can tap into at any time when being online.

So I do not know about you all, but related to OPs thread, yes, EQ2 was fun, in as much as it was "something" that budded off EQ1 .

In short EQ2 was good only because of it being composed by things EQ1 not for it being a game ... for me at least.

Love to everyone from the Lonely Isthmus!
Not a troll thread. I really do love old eq2 up til kingdom of sky possibly a little later. Eq2 had some really good amazing things about it. Player housing was cool. I love the art, combat and lore of eq2. A lot of great things about it.

Remember how they did spells and combat skills? If you put in the time, money and effort you could upgrade your spells and gear. It set you apart from other players. A player who had all adept 3s and at least master crafted gear was leaps and bounds better and probably more experienced than one that was not. It showed you put real time in your character

Edited: mobile
Last edited by brokenpromise; 10-01-2019 at 05:26 PM..
Old 10-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Sarnak

I too loved my time in EQ2. I played a high elf wizard that went through the grind to betray to being a warlock and thought that was cool. I liked the world graphics (models were ok).

I joined a guild, made some great friends, for a while we ran Nektropos Castle pretty much every night. Even disabled exp so that we didn't out level the rest of our guild and didn't really mind.

I quit after the first expansion. Eventually discovered WoW. Definitely a better game, but EQ2 had its charms.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Aviak

I quit EQ1 around 2000 and played DAoC at its release and never looked back. Eventually I found my way to EQ2 and my favorite part about the game was finding familiar lore from EQ1 which I revered but never played again till finding P99. I got sucked into EQ2 and played it pretty regularly, even got my girlfriend at the time (now wife) to play the game and she wasn't into gaming at all. We joined a casual raid guild but never really got into it too deep. It was a lot of fun when they allowed you to lock your characters level so you could experience ALL the progression content without out leveling it.

I did give up on the game but mostly because at that time I was big into building my computers. I spent a fortune on one just for EQ2 hoping I could max everything out and run the game smooth but the game wasn't optimized to utilize high end (expensive) video cards. The graphics I guess would utilize CPU rather than GPU... well this drove me crazy to the point I quit entirely.

My wife still logs in now and then to play the seasonal events and to look at the house she spent countless hours furnishing.
Last edited by Ferahgo; 10-01-2019 at 05:51 PM..
Old 10-01-2019, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

Was nice to see different versions of zones we have become familiar with over the years. Being able to exile any race/class was definitely interesting. I had an ogre monk which was probably the dumbest move considering how strong bruisers were. But he sure did stand out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Pvp was also fun if you happened to get all of your fabled/masters before everyone else.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since we like to have disagreements here on p99, I thought I'd add a little more debate

Eq2 up to a certain point was a very fun and great game. I often played both eq1 and eq2 and was often torn which to play. I will always be partial to eqs art and lore style. I grew up playing both games. I played warcraft very, very loosely. I have no problems with wow, I'm just an EQ dude.

How does this community feel about eq2? Something tells it's not good

Inc comments like something something not classic and cat dicks on the moon
EQ2 was fucking badass until T8 came, imo. I loved that game so, so much. If there was an EQ2 emu server up to T7 with enough players to have a few competitive raid guilds, I would drop p99 in a heartbeat.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Sarnak

There were some unique things I liked about EQ2, such as the Mastery DD Nuke that everyone got by collecting different body parts of different species. Being able to be any class/race combination, which is something I've wanted in EQ1 for forever - even being able to take an evil race and convert it to good. I liked that it was a continuation of the EQ1 story, and you'd still see stuff like the Ghost of Holly Windstalker roaming around wrecking people. It also had an interesting take on crafting, where you could actually die, and still has some of the best player housing to date.

However, the game was poooooorly optimized. It ran like crap. And while I liked the character and monster models, the terrain and environments were kind of meh. I hated Freeport. The game's population never really took off. And of course, it was a WoW clone (it's just the term we use, doesn't matter that it came out first). Run from camp to camp mostly solo questing, with button spam combat. At the very least the dungeons were an actual crawl, and not just an instance run that you reset over and over. It was still a more social game than WoW was though.