Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-01-2019, 08:55 PM
Aviak

EQ2 from launch until the end of Sentinel's Fate was the greatest MMO ever made. Sadly it suffered a full item/stat/mechanic revamp that murdered the game thanks to Smokejumper. Pretty much died overnight similar to how people talk about that Starwars Galaxy update that ruined that game.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Fire Giant

EQ2 had really fun and challenging raids, interesting classes, faction "betrayal" quests and a few other fun bits. I played for a couple years between the Kunark and Velious launches (there were expansions in between those two).

Leveling was trivial though, so it just didn't have the "challenge" of making it to the end. That said, leveling was a helluva a lot more fun than anything WoW put out (at the time, and, well, now kind of).

Collection rewards were fun, epic weapons were fairly challenging to get and mostly had cool particle effects.

But, EQ2 hemorrhaged players once Velious dropped. They had managed to change enough about the game to make it so it just wasn't worth it to continue as a raider.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:11 PM
Kobold

EQ2 was made with Bryce 3d Engine and had the visual appeal of a petrified, poopy, cum sock. Same with vanguard, whoever liked that "art" style is obviously retarded.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 AM
Fire Giant

EQ2 had a terrible launch. Buggy and unplayable. I had a good machine and my computer could hardly run it. My group of friends tried to make EQ2 work on launch but we went to wow a month later and had a blast. I went back to EQ2 years later and it was super fun. A final Froglok word is the longest quest I've ever done in any game. And the lore was amazing to learn more about EQ in general.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:31 AM
Kobold

Bad engine. The detail was extremely high but the models were beyond atrocious (though still better than Luclin models), animations were terrible, and the game ran like crap because they bet on the wrong computer advancements.

Bad systems/mechanics. I remember my high elf shadowknight had like 20 abilities that she just used one by one, with them starting to come off cooldown just as the last one was hit, in time to just do them all again. There was no thought involved with any of them, you just hit them all.

It had some good ideas but it was a poorly made game overall.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:35 AM
Kobold

I loved some of the ideas the game brought to the table. I loved the class system, I loved the races being tied to a faction, and I LOVED the betrayal system. Holy shit man, making a Ratonga Shadowknight then betraying and becoming a shiny dirty rat paladin on a white horse

no other MMO has topped that yet

edit: oh yeah i also liked the awful crafting system where you had to like.. make 4 legs, then a back, then craft them all into 1 chair. like, it was awful, but what a great idea. if it was implemented better i think it woulda been great.

[Famalin Wisdomseed - High Elf Wizard - Quellious - 99 to 01]
Old 10-02-2019, 06:48 AM
Planar Protector

EQ2 failed for the same reason that EQNext died: John Smedley.

The man had no understanding about what made EQ such a success deep down. He flopped like a fish again and again trying to leverage his EQ success into something else...and he just can't do it.

The details matter...but his leadership never produced good results the last decade he was the CEO.

EQ2 has had success, but mostly not from the die-hard EQ folks who flocked to it the first few weeks after launch. The EQ1 players mostly left (either to WoW or back to EQ and later Vanguard)...and eventually some fresh players made their way into EQ2 and liked it for what it is. Most of that generation of players has little or no exposure to EQ1 except on places like p99.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ2 had a terrible launch. Buggy and unplayable. I had a good machine and my computer could hardly run it. My group of friends tried to make EQ2 work on launch but we went to wow a month later and had a blast. I went back to EQ2 years later and it was super fun. A final Froglok word is the longest quest I've ever done in any game. And the lore was amazing to learn more about EQ in general.
/this Horrible at launch, plus the death penalty system was...no words for it..they even had to let players know that they staff would help with corps recovery after a few weeks or so due to it being so horrible.
-Taken-Taken II-

"I may not agree with what you say, but to your death I will defend your right to say it."
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
"To be able to think freely, a man must be certain that no consequence will follow whatever he writes."

CromCruach on Blue - Aurgelmirx on Green
Old 10-02-2019, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FungusTrooper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I loved some of the ideas the game brought to the table. I loved the class system, I loved the races being tied to a faction, and I LOVED the betrayal system. Holy shit man, making a Ratonga Shadowknight then betraying and becoming a shiny dirty rat paladin on a white horse

no other MMO has topped that yet.
Jeezus, playing a humanoid rat. Almost as bad as Dark Elf fish person. The classes were EQ classes that were split up iirc. No other game had classes as powerful as EQ while also getting your face stomped by a low con.

Anything EQ related with a horse or parkour.. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Did you guys ever read the Forgotten Realms book about the two furry footed hobbits that jumped around the roof tops of Freeport?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread