Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now that the driving force behind the project passed away, people will realize that there is no market for this game. I mean yeah, couple of hundred die hard Dark Age of Camelot nostalgia warriors and some others, but that doesn't make a healthy game.

I bet Brad brought in a lot of investors because of his personal history and his vision and passion, but what is going to attract VC money into the game now? Remember they've been paying a full development and management staff for like 5 years now without a single source of revenue. As a rich guy, would you be willing to say well the main guy is dead and the whole thing smells iffy but let me go on and plop another 2 million into the hole? I think the money will run out and that will be that.
https://www.pcgamer.com/breaking-the...ed-everything/

Quote:
Most of the people at Sony were just as skeptical as the industry veterans Smedley tried to recruit. Rappaport says other developers at SISA took to calling the game "NeverQuest," while Smedley adds that the team was mockingly referred to as the "Ghouls and Goblins Guys" when they'd gather to play Magic: The Gathering in the lunchroom. "This was a studio that was filled with sports people," Smedley laughs. "And then this small group of us that was into Dungeons and Dragons."

That's how EverQuest first came to life, in the bullpen of a PlayStation studio where everyone was either ignorant of its existence or convinced that the bizarre high-fantasy RPG would fail. As Smedley would later realize, it was the perfect place.
A well-written article with lots of obscure details about the game's early beginnings, like how the bumble bee girl from the Blind Melon music video became the inspiration for bixies and how the team often slept underneath their desks in order keep pace with development. It also points out that there was no real market for EverQuest during its embryotic period in 1996. There were MUDs (free) and there were online sports games that charged users by the hour to play.

Also, not to take anything away from McQuaid, but it wasn't his singular vision. The article mentions Brad McQuaid along with Steven Clover, Rosie Rappaport, Bill Trost, John Smedley, Vince Harron, and even a pizza guy who became one of the level designers on enthusiasm alone, but obviously there were others. Even so...

Quote:
"After EverQuest had shipped, John told me that it was almost cancelled five or six times," McQuaid says. "He never told me at the time and I'm glad he didn't."
Oh and welcome to the OP. Hope your IP exemption went through.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:58 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for the welcome! Exemption hasn't gone through yet, been 10 days, but wife and I waiting patiently.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now that the driving force behind the project passed away, people will realize that there is no market for this game. I mean yeah, couple of hundred die hard Dark Age of Camelot nostalgia warriors and some others, but that doesn't make a healthy game.

I bet Brad brought in a lot of investors because of his personal history and his vision and passion, but what is going to attract VC money into the game now? Remember they've been paying a full development and management staff for like 5 years now without a single source of revenue. As a rich guy, would you be willing to say well the main guy is dead and the whole thing smells iffy but let me go on and plop another 2 million into the hole? I think the money will run out and that will be that.
This was a concern when he initially passed away but really there’s no actual factual basis for it anymore
Old 09-24-2020, 04:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://www.pcgamer.com/breaking-the...ed-everything/

A well-written article with lots of obscure details about the game's early beginnings, like how the bumble bee girl from the Blind Melon music video became the inspiration for bixies and how the team often slept underneath their desks in order keep pace with development. It also points out that there was no real market for EverQuest during its embryotic period in 1996. There were MUDs (free) and there were online sports games that charged users by the hour to play.

Also, not to take anything away from McQuaid, but it wasn't his singular vision. The article mentions Brad McQuaid along with Steven Clover, Rosie Rappaport, Bill Trost, John Smedley, Vince Harron, and even a pizza guy who became one of the level designers on enthusiasm alone, but obviously there were others. Even so...

Oh and welcome to the OP. Hope your IP exemption went through.
Heyo! any chance of some level1undercon videos - Cheers! Ennewi
Old 10-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Large Rat

Been going on a month now for this exemption. Is this normal? Do I need to pay somebody or donate to get this through? And if so, what is the best way to go about doing that?
Old 10-08-2020, 12:19 AM
Banned

Just use a VPN. Each toon ideally is on its own account (so the druid can port the whatever to wherever and then you swap to the druid and port their whatever wherever) and each account is gonna need IP exemptions which the staff isn't going to grant.

$36 a year and this problem is marked solved.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Large Rat

I'm just trying to play the damn game with my wife here at home, and daughter/boyfriend (live together) away at college. We're all stuck waiting on exemptions for a month now. Nobody wants to play this old game except me because the original EQ was my favorite game, and I'm trying to see if they'd be interested in a game like this since Pantheon might be similar. I have no intention of cheating and purchasing a VPN to skirt the rules, and the rest of my family certainly doesn't care enough to deal with setting that up. There's a group of us willing to join this server and give this game a chance, but apparently that's just not feasible.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm just trying to play the damn game with my wife here at home, and daughter/boyfriend (live together) away at college. We're all stuck waiting on exemptions for a month now. Nobody wants to play this old game except me because the original EQ was my favorite game, and I'm trying to see if they'd be interested in a game like this since Pantheon might be similar. I have no intention of cheating and purchasing a VPN to skirt the rules, and the rest of my family certainly doesn't care enough to deal with setting that up. There's a group of us willing to join this server and give this game a chance, but apparently that's just not feasible.
Just be patient man. There is no exact formula on when they will get to your request. These are all some real great folks who work on this project for free other than random donations.

If you that serious about it, then have everybody disconnect from their wireless, and setup a hot spot.

But these are the rules and they are damn good rules.. I'd rather have you wait for a year for that exemption, than take the possibility of ruining my experience by boxing characters.

Just play the game by yourself for now, and make a new character with them once your receive exemption.. EQ is a game of patience, the setup to playing is no different. Patience young padawan. Patience......
Old 10-08-2020, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nobody wants to play this old game except me . . .
I'm trying to see if they'd be interested in a game like this
They aren't. Grats, I saved you $36 or a pointless donation that won't help your exemptions.
Closed Thread