Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:15 AM
Planar Protector

Default Burning mill ends in my new wood stove?

Just put a wood stove in my place. I like the idea of burning mill ends because they are cheap, stack easy and come debarked. But I've heard varying reports and opinions that mill ends can cause a lot of harm to a chimney and stove. Some say there are chemicals in KD wood that can eat away at the liner of a chimney pipe. Others say that they've been burning mill ends for decades without issue.

Anyone with experience care to chime in?
Old 10-10-2020, 01:04 AM
Banned

When wood air-dries naturally not only does water leave but other substances break down over time through oxidization. If green wood is dried rapidly, the water leaves but other substances remain that would normally dissipate with a natural air dry. I can't speak to how more or less corrosive they are to metal when burned though. My guess would be that it's negligible. Maybe you'd have to replace the chimney every 15 years instead of 20?
Old 10-10-2020, 02:27 AM
Planar Protector

osha senses tingling

if you owned your home before you decided to kill yourself, i dont see any legal issues
Old 10-10-2020, 02:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just put a wood stove in my place. I like the idea of burning mill ends because they are cheap, stack easy and come debarked. But I've heard varying reports and opinions that mill ends can cause a lot of harm to a chimney and stove. Some say there are chemicals in KD wood that can eat away at the liner of a chimney pipe. Others say that they've been burning mill ends for decades without issue.

Anyone with experience care to chime in?
Hillary Clinton and Hunter Biden are coming for your guns. You can't be too prepared.

You just need a mounted jackalope head and a broken washing machine for your front porch.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:10 AM
Planar Protector

Most planks and such are made out of conifers.
Conifers don't mix well with wood stoves unless you know what you are doing.

Other wood types can also have additives (anti rot, anti ibsect, anti fire, etc) and will burn badly and/or release bad stuff in the air.

Stick with good old oak/similar firewood and seize the workout opportunity of hauling it around, sawing/splitting where applicable.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:31 AM
Banned

That's true burning conifers creates creosote rapidly. Creosote buildup is what can cause chimney fires, nevermind metal fatigue.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's true burning conifers creates creosote rapidly. Creosote buildup is what can cause chimney fires, nevermind metal fatigue.
Here in the PNW most people burn Doug fir exclusively. The key to avoiding creosote seems to be only burning seasoned wood, not just dry.

With all that said, I think I’ll avoid mill ends. Just doesn’t seem worth the risk to save $60 a cord.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:16 PM
Banned

Oh man that must smell campfirey, not that it's a bad thing. Go out and get some walnut if you can, smells amazing!
Old 10-10-2020, 01:41 PM
Banned

i wish it was cold enough to put in a stove and burn wood, fucking 90 in florida still
Old 10-10-2020, 05:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i wish it was cold enough to put in a stove and burn wood, fucking 90 in florida still
its 57 degrees here in SW washington today. But I live up in a higher elevation area so it I get a lot of snow and it can get down to 20 degrees sometimes. Which is not super cold compared to most places, but still cold nonetheless.