Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 11:18 PM
Aviak

When AAs dropped, my server had mana burn wizard teams that would mana burn a surprising large amount of targets in Velious, and all of Kunark and Classic was dominated by them.

I’d imagine the min makers could figure out a gimped version on Blue, but I don’t believe anyone has.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:50 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClephNote [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When AAs dropped, my server had mana burn wizard teams that would mana burn a surprising large amount of targets in Velious, and all of Kunark and Classic was dominated by them.

I’d imagine the min makers could figure out a gimped version on Blue, but I don’t believe anyone has.
That lasted all of 2 weeks to 1 month before they nerfed Manaburn and put a limit on how many you could blow on 1 target
Old 04-22-2021, 04:56 AM
Planar Protector

I love how a thread on balance issue for melee has turned into a discussion on wizard XPing / raiding. Is this an indication of how bad melee have it compared to casters if even wizards, the worst caster (?) have so much more to be said about?
Old 04-22-2021, 10:45 AM
Aviak

Melee are fine.

The strongest five classes are arguably (in no particular order) Monk, Rogue, Enchanter, Shaman, Bard.

Two melee right in the top five! You can’t do a traditional group without a tank.

What’s the problem? They’re is less to squeeze out of them due to deep knowledge of game mechanics?
Old 04-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClephNote [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Melee are fine.

The strongest five classes are arguably (in no particular order) Monk, Rogue, Enchanter, Shaman, Bard.

Two melee right in the top five! You can’t do a traditional group without a tank.

What’s the problem? They’re is less to squeeze out of them due to deep knowledge of game mechanics?
Have fun killing raid targets with no warriors or clerics.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love how a thread on balance issue for melee has turned into a discussion on wizard XPing / raiding. Is this an indication of how bad melee have it compared to casters if even wizards, the worst caster (?) have so much more to be said about?
It isn't a solo game.

The successful solo classes have mechanics that really would be nerfed if Verant had their way. But its a long time ago now and we know all the tricks.

Manastone - they didn't want it in the game because it lets druids and wizards and clerics get mana back too fast.

So melee characters work as intended and are designed for groups. Whats the problem?
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It isn't a solo game.

The successful solo classes have mechanics that really would be nerfed if Verant had their way. But its a long time ago now and we know all the tricks.

Manastone - they didn't want it in the game because it lets druids and wizards and clerics get mana back too fast.

So melee characters work as intended and are designed for groups. Whats the problem?

Ya no, the developers are the ones that broke the game, because they played the game. They would pump up the classes they played, that's why the classes are so unbalanced. The original Fires of Heaven guild was made up of developers, they would release content, then immediately FoH would defeat said new content at record pace, because they made the content. That's why Shammy's an enchanter get such ridiculously over powered spells an items. The dumm ass developer would make insanely power additions an make up some justification for it. Anybody could have balanced this game in like an afternoon.
Last edited by NPC; 04-22-2021 at 09:13 PM..
Old 04-22-2021, 09:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You need to do a deep dive on the thread, melee stomp casters with gear. You can't twink casters as easily as you can twink melee. Melee with a fungi tunic, FBSS, high dmg new weapons on low level will out level most casters, no down time. As the expansions progress, powerful melee weapons become common for low level melee, all the low level casters are still stuck with the same original spells dmg/mana ratio they always had from release. Only later expansions did casters start to get foci casting items to make up for this.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You need to do a deep dive on the thread, melee stomp casters with gear. You can't twink casters as easily as you can twink melee. Melee with a fungi tunic, FBSS, high dmg new weapons on low level will out level most casters, no down time. As the expansions progress, powerful melee weapons become common for low level melee, all the low level casters are still stuck with the same original spells dmg/mana ratio they always had from release. Only later expansions did casters start to get foci casting items to make up for this.
This is only true 1-30ish. A caster can just use some of that twinking plat to buy a power level or quest items to turn in to get through the crappier lower levels. To be fair, you can't really "get your plat" back with the caster, like you can more easily with twink gear. Druids/clerics could still melee pretty well to their mid 20s, shaman can prolly push all the way into the late 30s since they get both haste and slow.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have fun killing raid targets with no warriors or clerics.
I said tank! Right in the thing!
Closed Thread