Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 08:14 AM
Banned

Question Will Message Boards work on green?

The message boards found in inns and taverns. Will they be functional on green?
@Nilbog @Rogean @Secrets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb7bLH4kJ9k
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-14-2019, 08:17 AM
Planar Protector

The message boards have never worked on P99 because from what I understand the client doesn't support their functionality, although I could be mistaken and it may be a case of nobody ever felt like coding it. Notably the YouTube video you linked is from a server that uses a different client. It'd be cool if the message boards worked, and even cooler if they were tied to the out-of-game forums. The weakness of the in-game forums was that they were solely in-game, and hence little-used even when they worked.

Danth
Old 09-14-2019, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The message boards have never worked on P99 because from what I understand the client doesn't support their functionality, although I could be mistaken and it may be a case of nobody ever felt like coding it. Notably the YouTube video you linked is from a server that uses a different client.
oh, well dang. Classic immersion ruined. literally unplayable. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Banned

me no eVN knOW diS wuz a tiNg on live

neat
Old 09-14-2019, 08:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snort|eS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
me no eVN knOW diS wuz a tiNg on live

neat
You and probably the majority of other players who played. The message boards were hidden away inside the taverns/etc of the game world with only a blurry low-res texture saying "message board" to indicate their existence. Those textures are visible on P99 by the way, the boards simply can't be rightclicked/don't work. They were easy to miss. I recall checking them on a number of occasions and the activity was always very low. In that sense their non-implementation is pseudo-classic anyhow since most folks never used them in the first place.

Danth
Old 09-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Planar Protector

This was a thing, yes
Old 09-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Planar Protector

And even when they were used on live, they amounted to "Bob was here" style posts; no one ever actually used them to find groups or do anything useful.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:03 AM
Fire Giant

Asking the important questions.

I remember them, I posted a guild advert on them in ye olden days
Old 09-14-2019, 12:44 PM
VIP / Contributor

It's possible but you have to re-create the message board functionality from scratch and implement a new XML UI window. MacroQuest supports doing this and you could easily rewrite what MQ2 has. The current client does not support it natively, but it's possible in theory.

For example, a packet-based DPS window for Rain of Fear 2 clients exists and it uses packets that are not normally in the EQ client. It's the most accurate DPS meter our there because it doesn't rely on the client's received data alone. The same could be used to make an XML/packet based message board system.

Having 13 years of autism on this project has its perks.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Last edited by Secrets; 09-14-2019 at 12:47 PM..
Old 09-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having 13 years of autism on this project has its perks.

(I was going to do a "we're not worthy" gif, but found this instead and liked it better [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread