Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 02:36 PM
Banned

Default Thinking of rolling a bard or a ranger on green

Which class would I have a better time playing with?
I wanted to play a hybrid but the exp penalty is rough but I decided to do it anyways!
If I were to go bard or ranger, I would roll as a human as it is my favorite race.
Does religion play a factor in anything?

Which class would I have an easier time playing currently right now on green?
And any tips or words of advice for starting either a bard or ranger
Thanks! =D
Old 08-28-2020, 03:10 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which class would I have a better time playing with?
I wanted to play a hybrid but the exp penalty is rough but I decided to do it anyways!
If I were to go bard or ranger, I would roll as a human as it is my favorite race.
Does religion play a factor in anything?

Which class would I have an easier time playing currently right now on green?
And any tips or words of advice for starting either a bard or ranger
Thanks! =D
I always played casters so i was at the same spot you were at a point. I wanted a melee character but that can cast some spells. It came down to a couple of things. Can you solo, can you group, what does end game look like. I picked bard because i can AOE kite and if i dont like that groups always love you. Rangers get alot of heat on green, as melee dont get great gear until kunark comes out. Bards can do a little of everything and that was attractive to me. I am happy with my decision and enjoy playing my bard, and look forward to the end levels.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:19 PM
Fire Giant

i think bard is the hardest and most button clicking intensive class in the game. Maybe not if you are afking in group with mana song. Rangers are cool but they tend to be more on the play it for fun class. Harmony is great though, i hear they are even good pullers in raids.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:45 PM
Planar Protector

Both are fun for galvanizing around, but I'd personally go with a ranger between the two.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:06 AM
Banned

Bard is a great class - Very Powerful

However it's the heaviest APM class by far. You are always pushing buttons and twisting songs. Don't even bother with weapons. Just use your instruments. They double your potency. With your lute out and regen song rolling your healer will not have much to do unless it hits the fan.

The only equipment you will need is banded armor, MM Drums, Gypsy Lute and a Mino Horn. Everything else is not a necessity. Pick up any dex/cha gear you can along the way but it's not a priority.

You'll want to keep a steady melody of 4 songs up at a consistent basis. At lower levels you can't really do this because you will miss a lot of notes. Once the class comes into it's own however it one of the most powerful additions possible for a group because you can fulfill any role that is needed (except tanking / melee dmg)

Bards are not really a melee class. They are a caster class that provide insane utility to any group.
Last edited by N0tClassic; 08-29-2020 at 01:19 AM..
Old 08-29-2020, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0tClassic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard is a great class - Very Powerful

However it's the heaviest APM class by far. You are always pushing buttons and twisting songs. Don't even bother with weapons. Just use your instruments. They double your potency. With your lute out and regen song rolling your healer will not have much to do unless it hits the fan.

The only equipment you will need is banded armor, MM Drums, Gypsy Lute and a Mino Horn. Everything else is not a necessity. Pick up any dex/cha gear you can along the way but it's not a priority.

You'll want to keep a steady melody of 4 songs up at a consistent basis. At lower levels you can't really do this because you will miss a lot of notes. Once the class comes into it's own however it one of the most powerful additions possible for a group because you can fulfill any role that is needed (except tanking / melee dmg)

Bards are not really a melee class. They are a caster class that provide insane utility to any group.
This except buy your horn Incase you ever wanna swarm from 18-48 and gear like a tank HP/AC/resists/STA, you can have a few CHA items if you absolutely have to split something that you can’t do with charm, mez, snare, fear, etc.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

Solo? Bard by a long shot.
Group? Less important due to shared xp pool. Still prob harder to get a group than bard.

I started a ranger around Kunark on P99. Banded and a Silver Swiftblade with help from my brother. Solo was still rough and that weapon is hands down better than almost anything on green (especially like 20-30). Took a break and came back when panic animal was in the game. Life was instantly easy with the ranger.

So depends really on how much of a challenge you want and if you mind the bard gameplay. I have a 52 bard but never really enjoyed that game method (my reflexes are meh).
Old 08-29-2020, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This except buy your horn Incase you ever wanna swarm from 18-48 and gear like a tank HP/AC/resists/STA, you can have a few CHA items if you absolutely have to split something that you can’t do with charm, mez, snare, fear, etc.
Absolutely

Vendor Brass is fine for this

Starting at 12 you can go to Karana and start with wisps near the gypsy camp then do beetles. You don't even need any speed to do beetles. You can auto strafe/circle them easily because they have a slower run speed than the average mob.

One thing I forgot to add - Get some HP rings ASAP. Probably number one item to get, especially if you plan on kiting, which you should do. This is high priority. Golden Fire Wedding Rings are fine +45 HP. You'll pay double for 20 more HP. Not worth it.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:40 PM
Banned

Can do unrest yard at lvl 8 with a lute, same theory just only pull the spiders as they run super slow
Old 08-29-2020, 02:42 PM
Sarnak

Have a ranger and bard 55+ on blue. Both are fun but bard lost my interest eventually. Still enjoying the ranger
Closed Thread