Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sks just got shafted on spells. Fd for sure has its uses but for the most part I’ll take calm/root over that anyday.
Agreed. The good spells that SKs have are incredibly useful and do make up for the spells that aren't so good, those being almost useless in a lot of cases given their cast times and/or resist rates. Still, it's frustrating to have whole pages of a spell book that rarely make it onto the spell bar. The SK epic was designed well at least, though a minor improvement would have been to allow the proc to stack, thereby discouraging players from swapping it out after the fact.

Hybrids improved quite a bit once their spell books started having distinction from those of pure casters or priests; if only they were designed that way from the very beginning, who knows what SKs would have received in lieu of Necromancer spells.

Most noticeable are the resist buffs and protective skin runes, which look out of place next to dots, debuffs, and lifetaps. Single target spells to tap resists would have fit better, fleshing out the self-only design more, requiring that the class have an opponent for their spells to benefit them. Lowering resists would have also provided the class with an additional role on raids, as seen with Bard's OOS and Shaman's Malo.

Instead of Banshee Aura, a damage shield that incorporated life steal would have helped compensate for a lack of defensive/evasive disciplines.

An Imbue Lifetap Proc (vampiric embrace/shroud of death) upgrade, AoE(4), would have allowed for more strategy/survivability when clumping mobs. ToV chickens, PoH imps, Ring War waves, etc.

No undead DDs or IVU. Instead, SKs could have been nonkos to a majority of undead by default, along with Necromancers (similar to Druids/Rangers and animals).

No vision enhancement spells (deadeye/shadow sight). Instead, having spells that stole ultra/infravision and seeinvis from a target. It would have further enhanced the ghetto Rogue aspect of SKs who, instead of disarming traps, would have disabled seeinvis, clearing the way for the group/raid to navigate unimpeded. Cast steal seeinvis/truesight, feign death, stand/cos, continue through the area undetected. The buff/debuff could have been short duration and faded once/if the SK died or zoned.

Still, all things considered, it's hard to be critical about a tank class that can play dead and go invisible at a moment's notice.
Last edited by Ennewi; 01-14-2021 at 01:38 PM..
Old 01-14-2021, 01:23 PM
Fire Giant

At the very least, just don't let the HT be resistible man..
Last edited by strongNpretty; 01-14-2021 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Resistible. Not Resistable.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Besides a few tricks the main thing a paladin really has over a SK is hp recovery. Celestial Cleansing is so good. Sanctuation is nice but Leechcurse works in any situation; LoH is better than HT. Balanced fairly well, imho.

I had a sk on live and loved it. I prefer the plodding pally 20 years later. Frankly if I had gone sk again I'd be more than happy; both very capable classes just way different. Fun to try them both [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-14-2021, 01:32 PM
Kobold

Can Death Peace fail like normal FD ?
Old 01-14-2021, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

It can fail yeah, but then there's always the earlier version as a backup, that or BE greaves. The recast on Death Peace isn't terribly long though.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

SK's are basically the best class in the game. No hybrid has a perfect spell set.

If an SK had only Harm Touch (as is), and feign death, and channeling skill, they would still be one of the best classes in the game.

Being a tank that can feign is over the top excellent. Being able to channel means you can cast clickies better.

Win.

Paladins are great. Rangers are great.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:11 PM
Fire Giant

Life taps that heal more but have longer cast times.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AgreedHybrids improved quite a bit once their spell books started having distinction from those of pure casters or priests; if only they were designed that way from the very beginning, who knows what SKs would have received in lieu of Necromancer spells.
warriors and rogues have more spells than I know what to do with in WOW haha

Disciplines should have been spell lines from the get go, prove me wrong! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-14-2021, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Yes i hate cooldown timer "abilities"
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:18 PM
Fire Giant

I wish fine plate was more useful. There should be tons of fancy-pants noobs running around covered in random colors.
Closed Thread