Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 12:39 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hey I guess I should say thanks. Since day after merge I have not been playing EQ because not being able to get a group and list being too long for manastone, I decided instead to spend time with my daughter taking her to places and we have been having a blast. Guess that was what I really needed. Thanks and bye!
Old 01-25-2020, 12:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I keep getting the missing spell file error, this happened once before but I can not recall what I did to fix it.
I think that means you don't have the latest update.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:03 PM
Kobold

Jesus Lord. Some of the folks that have posted on this thread make it beyond impressive to believe that they are in-fact a human being. Given that EQ's addiction is an escape from reality, into an immersion of digital status/reputation, driven by the value of digital items, I can understand the lure of having some nice items per say. Yet there's a few things that I do not understand, maybe some of ya'll can help me out.
1- I think the point for Green was a classic experience. The experience, not a gift to the creepshows who saw it as an opportunity to collect as many nerfed items on the timeline as possible to turn a profit.
2- Is your goal to sell on Blue when/ if it merges? If so, your whiney comments reveal the fact that you are the taint in the experience. How much do you think those items will be worth in the end? Will having the ability to link the item in chat or being inspected at the tunnel honestly make you feel good about yourself and the choices you made to obtain them? Will it really?
3- Did you post on nearly every page of this, ranting and raving that the decision grieved you or on account of it, you and 'others' now don't feel like playing? Do ya actually believe people can't read what you're tryin to do there?
4- You are lucky the devs are running this with the same governance that you're apparently used to IRL, drawing resources from the community, maybe even people who still feel obligated to support you or maybe even care about you, somehow. Have you ever considered treating others in the same manner or giving a thing back?
5- You aren't owed anything and despite the disrespect to the very lifeline that provides for you and it's target community, you are still allowed to log into the game. Probably do some hard thinking on that.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:06 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I haven't ranted at all in this thread. But my brother and I both logged in a couple times since the merge and haven't logged in since due to the crowding. Just our 2 cents. Don't expect it to change, but it was a much more enjoyable population prior to the merge.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:18 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Was there a post someplace that said patches would come out on Fridays? Is fear suppose to be out this friday? Why dont the GMs say anything?
Old 01-30-2020, 10:00 PM
Kobold

Default Sunday Patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakes82 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was there a post someplace that said patches would come out on Fridays? Is fear suppose to be out this friday? Why dont the GMs say anything?
All the recent patches have been on Sundays so I would assume the next one will be too. Hopefully this Sunday, but they don't seem to publicize the dates. (Which is fine by me as its all done for our benefit with no compensation for who knows how many hours of work these guys put in on this).
Old 02-02-2020, 07:39 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Expectations: RP-immersion v. Beer & Pretzel

Merging Green & Teal... while causing some temporary aches & pains, I think does make sense.
However, I'm not here to talk about that issue. I'm here to post about the ONLY issue I have with p99.
An issue that I think might be aided by some amount of server-machinations.
"What issue could our amazing, top-10-online-gaming-communities-ever, filled with cool folks who are welcoming,
awesome, skilled, knowledgable, fun,
hard-working, brilliant, kind, generous and super great community
POSSIBLY have to encourage someone to write a virtual 'wall-of-text' (see below)?!?
"
-You might say... well, I'm glad you asked. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The one issue which stops me from donating 'cold hard cash' to the p99 community.
The thing that, for me personally, drastically reduces the amount of time I play p99 each year.

That #1 issue, my one & only problem with this game-server is:*drumroll*
~

>>>>>>>Immersion-breaking<<<,<<<<
~
*whamp-whump*

mostly via violations of the naming policy (which is a fantastic policy, in my opinion).

Those times the naming rules are broken, or, less immediate but related;
when the immersion-enhancing-spirit-of-the-naming-policy is consistently damaged,
the vast majority of violations seem to be ignored and/or mostly unenforced.
Granted, role-playing (or lack there of) is a tiny- minor-issue by comparison to,
for example, being forced to see people using their names as basically a bio,
title, or quote space... instead of an actual NAME.
However.
I understand the difficulties involved, and why things are the way they are,
I'm not just here to complain (again) about the status quo, as it were,
or to point out, again, how having unenforced/unenforceable rules weakens the entire system;
encouraging worse behavior in all manner of ways...
I'm here to suggest a solution to the issue (the new servers gave me the idea).

Two servers.
One server continues as in the past;
e.g. "p99 green"
and the other something like a server labeled RolePlaying; e.g. p99 purple(RP)"
one which does not accept names which violate the current [most excellent] naming policy
that is currently [supposed to be] in place.

The way the p1999 era of EQ is, there just are not many, or any,
good outlets for people to customize their characters in silly, humorous or other ways
(like having a title, easily changeable faction/guild name(s) etc,
so it's understandable why people, generally unaware of the naming policy's existance...
well, I could go on at great length along those lines, so I'll try to keep it brief;

On an RP server, we-who-value-immersion-above-most-other-things, wouldn't be:
forced to endure metaphorical 'piranha bites' of reality, 'stinking clouds' of fart-jokes, or mental 'static-shocks' whenever we come across a player with a
"particularly clever joke/phrase" in their name... (or pile of corpses);
names related to modern things/concepts/pop-culture, phrases/sentences, badly spelled versions of whatever.
I'm sure most folks have good intentions when coming up with such names, and I know there is a valid place for humor in gaming, [multi-player & otherwise]...
however;

To put it another way: one of the key ingredients in any good, successful, social interaction/transaction,
is to try & make sure, from the start, that expectations are properly set up, communicated, agreed upon etc. and then that they are maintained,
or at least, if changed, then changed slowly, carefully, and/or openly.

Setting the right expectations can easily prevent 95%+ of issues, drama etc that could, can, and will arise.

Another metaphor might be:
when you begin a 'pen & paper RPG' with a group of people;
you set the expectations from the start and you don't change them without warning.
For example; if it's a 'beer & pretzels'-style campaign, where pop-culture references, random jokes, and/or meta-gaming are fine b/c
then everyone knew that when going into it, so the immersion, shock & any offense/annoyance is minimized.
On the other hand, if there was an up-front declaration of "this is immersive RPG, serious-gaming campaign" ...
(which is what the current Project 1999 naming policy comes across as)...
and then you are constantly seeing people with phrases for names and/or other worse examples
(i have a folder with hundreds of screenshots, but bards and healers tend to be some of the most innocuous, (which means innocent/least harmful just f.y.i.,) yet common violators).

Anyway, maybe I should start my own thread with this, and I had originally planned to do just that,
but I couldn't decide what forum it would best serve to get the most attention in,
so for now I'll leave you all here with my TLDR;
rant about people with annoying names.
Thanks for reading! <3 smoochies
Old 02-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosegg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Merging Green & Teal... while causing some temporary aches & pains, I think does make sense.
However, I'm not here to talk about that issue. I'm here to post about the ONLY issue I have with p99.
An issue that I think might be aided by some amount of server-machinations.
"What issue could our amazing, top-10-online-gaming-communities-ever, filled with cool folks who are welcoming,
awesome, skilled, knowledgable, fun,
hard-working, brilliant, kind, generous and super great community
POSSIBLY have to encourage someone to write a virtual 'wall-of-text' (see below)?!?
"
-You might say... well, I'm glad you asked. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The one issue which stops me from donating 'cold hard cash' to the p99 community.
The thing that, for me personally, drastically reduces the amount of time I play p99 each year.

That #1 issue, my one & only problem with this game-server is:*drumroll*
~

>>>>>>>Immersion-breaking<<<,<<<<
~
*whamp-whump*

mostly via violations of the naming policy (which is a fantastic policy, in my opinion).

Those times the naming rules are broken, or, less immediate but related;
when the immersion-enhancing-spirit-of-the-naming-policy is consistently damaged,
the vast majority of violations seem to be ignored and/or mostly unenforced.
Granted, role-playing (or lack there of) is a tiny- minor-issue by comparison to,
for example, being forced to see people using their names as basically a bio,
title, or quote space... instead of an actual NAME.
However.
I understand the difficulties involved, and why things are the way they are,
I'm not just here to complain (again) about the status quo, as it were,
or to point out, again, how having unenforced/unenforceable rules weakens the entire system;
encouraging worse behavior in all manner of ways...
I'm here to suggest a solution to the issue (the new servers gave me the idea).

Two servers.
One server continues as in the past;
e.g. "p99 green"
and the other something like a server labeled RolePlaying; e.g. p99 purple(RP)"
one which does not accept names which violate the current [most excellent] naming policy
that is currently [supposed to be] in place.

The way the p1999 era of EQ is, there just are not many, or any,
good outlets for people to customize their characters in silly, humorous or other ways
(like having a title, easily changeable faction/guild name(s) etc,
so it's understandable why people, generally unaware of the naming policy's existance...
well, I could go on at great length along those lines, so I'll try to keep it brief;

On an RP server, we-who-value-immersion-above-most-other-things, wouldn't be:
forced to endure metaphorical 'piranha bites' of reality, 'stinking clouds' of fart-jokes, or mental 'static-shocks' whenever we come across a player with a
"particularly clever joke/phrase" in their name... (or pile of corpses);
names related to modern things/concepts/pop-culture, phrases/sentences, badly spelled versions of whatever.
I'm sure most folks have good intentions when coming up with such names, and I know there is a valid place for humor in gaming, [multi-player & otherwise]...
however;

To put it another way: one of the key ingredients in any good, successful, social interaction/transaction,
is to try & make sure, from the start, that expectations are properly set up, communicated, agreed upon etc. and then that they are maintained,
or at least, if changed, then changed slowly, carefully, and/or openly.

Setting the right expectations can easily prevent 95%+ of issues, drama etc that could, can, and will arise.

Another metaphor might be:
when you begin a 'pen & paper RPG' with a group of people;
you set the expectations from the start and you don't change them without warning.
For example; if it's a 'beer & pretzels'-style campaign, where pop-culture references, random jokes, and/or meta-gaming are fine b/c
then everyone knew that when going into it, so the immersion, shock & any offense/annoyance is minimized.
On the other hand, if there was an up-front declaration of "this is immersive RPG, serious-gaming campaign" ...
(which is what the current Project 1999 naming policy comes across as)...
and then you are constantly seeing people with phrases for names and/or other worse examples
(i have a folder with hundreds of screenshots, but bards and healers tend to be some of the most innocuous, (which means innocent/least harmful just f.y.i.,) yet common violators).

Anyway, maybe I should start my own thread with this, and I had originally planned to do just that,
but I couldn't decide what forum it would best serve to get the most attention in,
so for now I'll leave you all here with my TLDR;
rant about people with annoying names.
Thanks for reading! <3 smoochies
Yikes.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:35 PM
Fire Giant

Yowza
Old 02-04-2020, 10:53 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I got everything I wanted. Not what you'd think, You wouldn't wonder why you're here. But it felt like…
Closed Thread