Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 10:39 AM
Sarnak

Default ? for Mac users using parallesls or bootcamp

I am currently using a Macbook pro 15 inch from 2015 (last model before touch bar and usb C ports). Previously I used wineskin to let me play p99, only downside was it played in a window I could not re size, almost full screen but not the entire screen. Afrer some recent patches and OS updates it bricked wine. I set up parallels and it works great (window is still the same size, unable to play full screen). I think the window issue is because the Mac display is a weird ratio being "retina" etc. I've been thinking about getting a new computer soon and had a question for any mac user that plays p99 via bootcamp or a virtual machine like parallels.

1. In bootcamp does that window issue happen or does it run like it runs on any PC?

2. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix it in parallels?

3. Has anyone been able to make wine work in later macOS like 10.15?

Thanks all.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:12 PM
Fire Giant

I have the same MBP 15/ 2015 that I use for P99 when I'm traveling. I run Bootcamp with a Windows image. I highly recommend going this route, because it simply saves time in the long run. You don't have to spend a shit ton of time trying to configure any applications for the OS. If you need to run something in Windows, boot into Windows and run it. P99 specifically runs great. I highly recommend this configuration.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have the same MBP 15/ 2015 that I use for P99 when I'm traveling. I run Bootcamp with a Windows image. I highly recommend going this route, because it simply saves time in the long run. You don't have to spend a shit ton of time trying to configure any applications for the OS. If you need to run something in Windows, boot into Windows and run it. P99 specifically runs great. I highly recommend this configuration.
And you can run it full screen or at least in a window that can be sized to full screen?

Do you know if you can use parallels to access your windows bootcamp partition? IE: I am working on my mac side and want to sit in EC. Will I need to set p99 and windows up twice?

Thank you for the reply
Old 01-28-2020, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

If you just rename your eqclient.ini it should generate a new file and the resolution it uses should be your device's native resolution.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:51 PM
Orc

Can you share a screenshot of what you mean? I modified my eqclient.ini to be the resolution I wanted, but a screenshot would help figure out what you're seeing. I also run WinEQ2 to have EQ in windowed mode within the VM as it makes it easier to toggle out for any reason.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:57 PM
Sarnak

playing eq on a 2017 15 inch macbook pro (latest os) and wineskin, works just fine. pm for info.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:57 AM
Orc

Zwie - I thought Catalina would not run 32 bit apps, which Wineskin is (I think?)

When I went from Mojave --> Catalina my Wineskin-wrapped EQ stopped working.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Zwie - I thought Catalina would not run 32 bit apps, which Wineskin is (I think?)

When I went from Mojave --> Catalina my Wineskin-wrapped EQ stopped working.
It's not that Wineskin is 32-bit per se, it's that the application you are running - EQ - is 32-bit. WINE is a compatibility layer for 16-bit and 32-bit Windows applications.

As Mac OS X Catalina is 64-bit only, you are SOL.

To be fair: This is not the only "64-bit only" OS - it's just the most common one that you can't add the 32-bit compat to: Debian amd64 out of the box won't run 32-bit apps - but a few minutes of web search will find you the commands to install 32-bit support.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you just rename your eqclient.ini it should generate a new file and the resolution it uses should be your device's native resolution.
I tried this, and... it works in the sense that it makes the window my devices native resolution, however the screen is black.

I will post a screen shot of the window when I am at that computer next.

Thanks all
Old 01-29-2020, 04:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tried this, and... it works in the sense that it makes the window my devices native resolution, however the screen is black.

I will post a screen shot of the window when I am at that computer next.

Thanks all
I think the default is to run in fullscreen. I've never been able to run my eq in fullscreen either getting a very tiny window in my top left corner, or when using 2 monitors a black screen like your describing. So, once you've got the new eqclient.ini open it up and change

Quote:
WindowedMode=FALSE
to

Quote:
WindowedMode=TRUE
Last edited by Argh; 01-29-2020 at 04:48 PM..