Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

"Pantheon looks like crap"

Said on a forum for a game you play that has graphics from 1999 lol
Old 01-29-2020, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Just goes to show how amazing EQs gameplay is, I guess.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 01-29-2020, 07:58 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yup, and the creator of EQ knew that, which is why he had this vision.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:46 AM
Sarnak

I would take gamplay and content over graphics any day... I would hazard a guess most of us here at P99 would too.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

A game designed for PC and not multi-platform.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:

I think you misread him. A game from 1999 can look aesthetically good compared to a game from 2015-2020.
Example for two 3d platformers: Sonic Adventure from 1999 aged immediately while Banjo & Kazooie from 1998 still looks aesthetically pleasing for what it was trying to do.
I'll agree that certain parts of Everquest looked bad even from back then. Karana zones are 3x larger than other zones like EC/WC and uses a single 32x32 ground texture to cover the entire zone. There are parts of Krana that look blurry and ugly compared to the more compact zones of EC/WC ect. Even the models, despite having limited and stiff animation and limited faces at the time, they still have a great deal of charm into in them. You want an ugly MMO from back then? Take a look at what Asheron's Call originally looked like.
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 02-05-2020 at 07:59 PM..
Old 02-05-2020, 08:37 PM
Banned

Everquest looks like crap and i will play it until im a sick old man. Its not about graphics its about mechanics and gameplay, lore, music, everything.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsham [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everquest looks like crap and i will play it until im a sick old man. Its not about graphics its about mechanics and gameplay, lore, music, everything.
I don't think everquest looks like crap. The artwork was well done, and everything flowed well. It's like watching Bambi or another old disney movie and being like man this looks like shit now that we got cgi. It's not really as important if the final product is made in a timeless sense. There was a lot of love put into everquest. 14 classes. Then you can pick a race. This game was really a head of it's time. Maybe we as consumers ruined things by bitching. I blame the younger fornite generation. To me this game works like chess in a way. You go into a dungeon and advance space by space with abilitys to move certain ways, but there is normally like 10 ways to win a fight, and 10 ways to lose ext. The Pace I want to say is what makes EQ classic a classic. sorry for the rant im high af.

TLDR: I rambled a bunch of shit and for the GFX the items that show up on your character are really well done. I like seeing people progress in terms of gear and stuff like that. I admit I wouldnt ever show it to somebody that never played eq and be like yo this leaf thing on the epic druid is thight tho right... but to me its pretty tight.
Last edited by choppedandglued; 02-05-2020 at 10:44 PM..
Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedandglued [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think everquest looks like crap. The artwork was well done, and everything flowed well. It's like watching Bambi or another old disney movie and being like man this looks like shit now that we got cgi. It's not really as important if the final product is made in a timeless sense. There was a lot of love put into everquest. 14 classes. Then you can pick a race. This game was really a head of it's time. Maybe we as consumers ruined things by bitching. I blame the younger fornite generation. To me this game works like chess in a way. You go into a dungeon and advance space by space with abilitys to move certain ways, but there is normally like 10 ways to win a fight, and 10 ways to lose ext. The Pace I want to say is what makes EQ classic a classic. sorry for the rant im high af.

TLDR: I rambled a bunch of shit and for the GFX the items that show up on your character are really well done. I like seeing people progress in terms of gear and stuff like that. I admit I wouldnt ever show it to somebody that never played eq and be like yo this leaf thing on the epic druid is thight tho right... but to me its pretty tight.
Agreed.

The graphics were good when you consider what else was out at the time (1999). I like to compare. EQ was a very large fully online world, various terrain, underwater, dungeons, cities, deserts. All of the items and they showed up on your character. Here is a list of the top Metacritic games for 1999.

Top 10.. & EQ

1. SoulCalibur - Dreamcast
2. Gran Turismo 2 - PS1
3.Street Fighter Alpha 3 - PS1
4. Homeworld - PC
5. System Shock 2 - PC
6. Tony Hawks Pro Skater - PS1
7. Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings - PC
8. Unreal Tournament 1999 - PC
9. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - PC
10. Medal of Honor - PS1
28. Everquest - PC
Last edited by Mblake81; 02-05-2020 at 11:38 PM..
Old 02-06-2020, 09:57 AM
Banned

When did Decline start to you? -RPGCodex
Closed Thread