Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pulling a dragon to the zone in was the most thrilling thing I’ve done in any mmo I’ve ever played.

Pulling an entire zone to the entrance and aoeing it down was insane to me. There were so many mobs it was sick.

Clearing trash mobs for an hour and a half, then having to leave the zone because another dragon spawned, then killing another hour and a half of trash mobs to kill the recently spawned dragons, then coth back to the other dragon, clear another hour of trash mobs, is not fun. It’s annoying.
I imagine pulling to zone was a lot of fun for pullers. For everyone else it was sit and wait.
P99ers do a lot of things well. Handling surprise adds / splitting up focus is not one of them. Mostly because the classes that do that the best (SK/Paladins) are generally trashed and considered useless, and because pulls are considered failures if a dragons doesn't appear at the zone line solo.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:29 AM
Kobold

I love new meta, feels much more classic then a few players pulls all pixels to zone in, where a zerg just log in when the discord app gives a notification for a kill.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:38 AM
Planar Protector

Lol at monks. HIGH estrogen players and daddy's girls.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up Good design change Nilb/Rog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I imagine pulling to zone was a lot of fun for pullers. For everyone else it was sit and wait.
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread or another yet, but....

I think rooting dragons provides for a lower bar of entry for the NToV raid scene. No longer does your pull team need to have an intricate knowledge of mechanics (to know how to exploit them) of the game to be able to compete.

It seems like perhaps P99 is going through the same transformation that the players of Lanys went through when we got merged with 7TH hammer.

As a back story, Lanys was very similar to P99 where there was always 1 top guild gobbling up the vast majority of the raid content. They similarly "got off" on denying the rest of the server pixels.

When the merger happened the Lanys alpha guild was thrust into a "bigger pond" where the raid guilds were starving for players. The "casual scum" of Lanys happily filled the ranks of the hungry guilds from 7th. Casual scum got to join big guilds and raid. The Lanys alpha guild was denied the pixel-denial release of endorphins and disbursed to other games or other of life's entertainments. Hinting at least partially to why they enjoyed the game.

I am probably guilty of drawing imperfect parallels, but it's not too disimmilar to not be worthwhile. Overall I think this change will bring the server closer to the intended classic feel.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wtf are you talking about? Lmfao. Burning people out is a good thing...? We have people on this server who have raided for a decade. Which, those people act as raid leaders and play makers for guilds.

Pulling to zone might have been cheesy, but it was classic, and cheesing raid encounters is the key to any great guild in any mmo. Go watch the wow dungeon tournaments. It’s all cheese. When they rooted the dragons, it was with luclin gear and spells. And, I’d imagine whatever guild was killing tov in luclin pretty much had the place for themselves. It’s also not more fun. It’s grindy as heck, and really limits play making ability for now.
none of this applied for the 70 people that logged in their parked toon for 10 min when the batphone goes off, ie the vast majority of the raiding playerbase. That's so easy and mindless they could gear 5-6 chars without getting burned out. Now having to take part in hour+ long clears every time might burn some of them out and cycle through more raiders.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Wtf are you talking about? Lmfao. Burning people out is a good thing...? We have people on this server who have raided for a decade. Which, those people act as raid leaders and play makers for guilds.

Pulling to zone might have been cheesy, but it was classic, and cheesing raid encounters is the key to any great guild in any mmo. Go watch the wow dungeon tournaments. It’s all cheese. When they rooted the dragons, it was with luclin gear and spells. And, I’d imagine whatever guild was killing tov in luclin pretty much had the place for themselves. It’s also not more fun. It’s grindy as heck, and really limits play making ability for now.
There is different playmaking now. Tank playmaking on trash mobs and flurries. Splitting chains and dealing with multiple mobs. Memblurs and holding mobs to secure a kill. Kiting flurries that will instantly wreck everyone. Snap agro knights and speedbumps to stabilize. Pretty much every cycle I see or make a play that makes me go “wow” and it’s not just the pullers anymore.

Monks don’t own the endgame anymore. Sorry that’s less fun for the monks. The rest of us are having more fun.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lmfao

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
is not fun. It’s annoying.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Fire Giant

I just think that we need to remember, this new meta will get tiresome for everyone, not just one guild, as y’all are so quick to point out. It is fun, as a cleric, I actually do more than press a couple buttons here and there. And there’s a greater sense of gratification when we do kill a mob and I see people win loot. But it will eventually become tedious, for many.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Fire Giant

Like or it or not it definitely feels like EQ more then this weird mini game of 5-10 people from each guild trying to outsock or outcoth eachother week in and week out.

Regardless if it has a positive impact or negative impact on whichever guild, i think it was the right move. I've played the tank, healing role, guards add buffer, FTE'r, you name it, all of them feel rewarding but out of all of them cleric is by far the funnest in ToV now. Very attentive role from just a CH chain at entrance and your hp/resist gear actually do something now.
Oralen - 60 Ranger <Core>
Old 07-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Kobold

I agree that pulling to zone was a bit cheesy and think the original design was to crawl ToV. However, this new meta has only created a larger barrier of entry. Now, the rewards simply go to the biggest zerg, because you won't need to wait for as many guards to die.

It's only a matter of time before everyone starts labeling Riot the villain and accusing all of them of denying the pixels. Then we will have come full circle, but I question whether Riot will have the self-awareness to recognize their own hypocrisy.
Closed Thread