Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 11:59 PM
Aviak

Default Choosing your character's name

I don't think I have had a more crippling gaming disability than the inability to come up with a satisfactory name for any character I plan to spend a decent amount of time on.

The other day a friend of mine was making a character and hit the random button once and said "Yeah... That looks fine." and created their character.

I really envy that mindset. It has taken me upwards of about a week to come up with a name at times. I wish my brain functioned properly.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:22 AM
Fire Giant

In 1999 it was a multiday process. Flippin through all my fantasy novels and DND materials.

Nowdays it's as easy as a few clicks on the fantasy name generator and you get a racially appropriate name.

Granted back then if u petitioned enough a GM would eventually give a name change
Old 04-09-2020, 12:33 AM
Aviak

Someway to maybe donate for a one time name change and having the name posted in a stickied "Recent Name Changes" thread where they stay there for a predetermined amount of time would be such a nice QoL change for someone like myself.

I know it sounds bad, but I don't think it would get abused as much as you would think and it would help to raise money for the server operation costs.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:25 AM
Sarnak

Also takes me ages to find an appropriate name.
Sometimes I click the ingame name generator and change the suggested name around a bit. Some of the generated ones aren't too bad actually. They usually fit the chosen race well.
I also have a list of names I have used in other or previous games. Many of those are taken already on P1999 tho.

It is a really important choice for me, too. The name determines what people think of you when they first read it.
I cannot understand how some people give their characters really stupid names that don't even fit a fantasy world.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yacoby44 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someway to maybe donate for a one time name change and having the name posted in a stickied "Recent Name Changes" thread where they stay there for a predetermined amount of time would be such a nice QoL change for someone like myself.

I know it sounds bad, but I don't think it would get abused as much as you would think and it would help to raise money for the server operation costs.
Once you head in that direction you soon become the majority of the private WoW servers.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once you head in that direction you soon become the majority of the private WoW servers.
The best of intentions pave the road to hell.
Last edited by Mblake81; 04-09-2020 at 08:45 AM..
Old 04-09-2020, 08:44 AM
Planar Protector

Step One start a crusade against name violators
Step Two snatch up said names and sit on them a couple years
Step Three Act like names are all gone so staff feel sympathetic
Step Four ???
Step Five Profit
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:47 AM
Planar Protector

Softdrinks r my personal favoriate varients

Malten Dewie
Cloaca Zerie
Myssti Phirbb
Old 04-09-2020, 10:05 AM
Sarnak

I pick a name from a show or movie I like and then alter it until it’s unrecognizable.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

i like to pick something mildly offense to trigger fats and dumbs, just kidding. something funny is good imo
Closed Thread