Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A bit more work sure but I don't see why we cant just have the raid spawns be set timers as they used to be and our GMs then maintain a rotation here on the forums of which guild kills which mobs when, it worked great back in the day. If managed by GMs then they could easilly punish anyone who violated the rotation with suspension warnings and permananet bans if it continued.
Because some of us enjoy the competitive aspect of this game. If I wanted guaranteed loot on certain days then I'd go play WoW or some other game.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because some of us enjoy the competitive aspect of this game. If I wanted guaranteed loot on certain days then I'd go play WoW or some other game.
The competition aspect? What competition? Who can stay awake the longest and organize the longest poopsocking session?

I agree with 1,2, and 3.

1) Simulate server reset.

Classic. If every raid mob is up at the exact same known time then guilds will be forced to choose targets more strategically since they can't dilute themselves across every target. Further, rules should require that in order to maintain right to the spawn then 15 members of your guild be present and must engage the target within 15 minutes of spawning.

I further suggest a non-classic element. I move to add a placeholder mob(s) with variant spawn timer (6minutes-1hour) to raid encounters which, while not exceptionally difficult and dropping no loot, requires the efforts of a raid force of about 10 people to defeat. This will eliminate the possibility of people AFKing at raid mobs in order to hold camps and FORCE them to stay at their computers or risk wiping and losing the camp. Further, if you aren't regularly killing these mobs then you aren't holding the camp for your guild. This change will vastly increase the human time commitment cost of poopsocking, effectively discouraging this behavior (or at least making it annoying enough that people who do continue are doing so by investing their time sitting at their computer ready to act on a short variable respawn.)

2) Disable variance.
Classic. With simulated reset and mobs basically dying within minutes of respawning then all raid mobs will be on the same timer anyways. Again, it forces guilds to choose targets wisely and allows entry of more guilds into the raiding sphere.

3) Ban rule offenders permanently.
Harsh but effective. Imagine if all the members of recent raid guilds were banned for their behavior (which they always knowingly commit despite their bullshit). This would free up room for other, rule-abiding players to enjoy the raid scene. I think if the GM policy was "ban permanently" then people would sure as hell not break the rules.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It'll just bring more poopsocking and KSing back than we currently have to endure. A simple fix to this would be making the big targets spawn 52 times per year at complete random times as proposed months ago - lesser target 72 times or something. This was the best solution anyone came up with in my opinion. It would stop tracking mobs for 24h a day cus it's already impossible to cover multiple windows at once unless you're either boxing trackers or recruited enough unemployed people with nothing better to do. It would also loosen up precamping in certain zones and actually make guilds race for targets instead of say camp out in zone A cus you can evac to zone B for mob B and also have a chance at mob C in adjacent zone C cus it's already way down in window! That and back to more frequent simulated patch days will enhance the health of the raiding scene.

I really don't know why they keep putting up with this broken system. Even if -for reasons I can't imagine- the above mechanics would proof to disbalance the server even more.. what is there to lose? I don't think it's hard to code. Put it up as a beta phase before Velious. If it works for Kunark and Classic, keep it. If not.. go back to the old deal. There're 3 options for people that want to experience endgame content right now (it will change with Velious and maybe that's what the devs simply settled on... burn them out with variance until they quit?). It would still require smaller guilds to track targets and mobilize, but none of them are willing to say, poopsock or precamp in a zone right now anyway, so their chances at even engaging are slim to none as it is.

What bugs me the most is no comment whatsoever why this or that system doesn't appeal to the server staff. There're solutions, but none seem to hold up to their standards?

There's not too much racing going on these days. It's usually the 3 big guilds camped out somewhere waiting for a batphone. It all comes down to who logs on their bard/puller the fastest or has enough unemployed ppl in their guild who can stay up sitting on a mob's spawn point all night. The last Fay, VS and Inny spawns were ridiculously late and I was participating the horrible poopsock.

I doubt this is how the staff envisions competition. Sure, they can say "it's up to the players to create their own raiding environment", but we already have specific rules in place (hell, why not remove the "no training" policy?) to regulate and monitor. Why not fix this from the admin side of things and moderate how guilds can operate on this sandbox. It would save them a lot of headache (well, Amelinda mostly at this point).
Never considered that solution - it's actually quite excellent. If raid targets with 7 days spawn timers spawned 52 times a year, while targets with 3 days spawn timers spawned 122 times a year and so forth then the strategy of poopsocking would be effectively rendered null because there's absolutely no way of knowing when a mob will spawn (could be minutes after the previous spawn).
Old 02-23-2012, 03:04 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_savage1982 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who can stay awake the longest and organize the longest poopsocking session?
I'm not sure why you'd say this and be for ending variance, because that will lead to an endgame with nothing but poopsocks.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure why you'd say this and be for ending variance, because that will lead to an endgame with nothing but poopsocks.
Not if raid targets are on timers where they all spawn at the same time. Weekly simulated resets will insure this.

One guild can't be everywhere at once.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Banned

Take all TMO and IB members.

Reduce total XP by 95%.
Remove all loot, epics, and clear bank.
Ban said players immediately with zero warnings for any infringement.
Strip all soulbound items and remove all loot/plat from accounts.
Release velious within 6 months.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Kobold

Quote:
While I understand where you're coming from... rotation is also nice for the casual players that also want the feel of accomplishment and to experience raid content and progress their chars.

Also, defeating a mob should be the rush that people are after... I don't understand the thrill of shitting into a sock and arguing with dudes while clicking a track button for 90+ hours. In fact, I think that would drive me to commit some seriously messed up sexual suicide.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Because some of us enjoy the competitive aspect of this game.
What game would that be? Everquest: Unemployed Edition?

Also, I hardly think everyone would become BFFs just because variance ended. There was plenty of competition in live EQ with maintenance and no variance.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruenaros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everquest: Unemployed Edition?
...hahahahaahaha! Seriously, LOL 4 realsies. Maybe it's an old joke, but first time I've heard it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Leapfrogging is a dick move. It's not about "rules" or "ZOMG IT HAPPENED ON MY SERVER ITS FAIR".
Truth.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, defeating a mob should be the rush that people are after... I don't understand the thrill of shitting into a sock and arguing with dudes while clicking a track button for 90+ hours.
The thrill is defeating a mob. There is no thrill in poopsocking, but with it there is the hope of in the end... you defeat a mob. Atm no poopsock = no mob.
Closed Thread