Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some additional video evidence that stuns can* be deadly:

https://youtu.be/WKsIYryPDfI?t=916

While the sham in the video did kill vilefang (super cool BTW), it got dicey at that one point due to resists + stuns.

*stuns can kill you but didn't happen in this video
That is a great video! Never even thought about soloing Vilefang. That part you highlighted did get pretty dicey, he got under 20% HP. Glad to see he recovered lol, someone else would have taken Vilefang real fast. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some additional video evidence that stuns can* be deadly:

https://youtu.be/WKsIYryPDfI?t=916

While the sham in the video did kill vilefang (super cool BTW), it got dicey at that one point due to resists + stuns.

*stuns can kill you but didn't happen in this video
It’s hard to argue with how valuable FSI is for an ogre shaman at level 60. I think most would agree that in soloing big name situations, ogre is ideal because having some extra standing regen or a snare necklace click or 2 here and there might not really do anything. The grey area in the shaman race debate is the overall usefulness of the various racial advantages. Ogre is great for 60 torpor soloing, but not that great from 1-59 as well as whenever you’re not actively taking hits(which is the large majority of the time) unless you’re a solo only shaman. The overall usefulness of troll/iksar regen can be applied to basically any scenario vs situational stun immunity which to me is more in the ballpark of competing with other situational things such as as trolls snare necklace or troll/iksar undead fear necklace.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Aviak

Didn't read, and never really played a shaman. Troll is probably best choice here, despite it being completely stupid to play large races due to annoying sit animation.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannobeers3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't read, and never really played a shaman. Troll is probably best choice here, despite it being completely stupid to play large races due to annoying sit animation.
You should probably read the guide first[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Also, Shamans don't sit that much, so that is a plus when it comes to minimizing how you feel about the sit animations!
Old 12-28-2020, 11:01 AM
Banned

12 pages to confirm:

ogre for ultimate end game solo

barb for fashion

iksar for RP / starting fresh with your static friend(s) necro / monk

troll for everything else

yikes
Old 12-28-2020, 04:13 PM
Aviak

Nope, going in circles as always [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Troll = Win. I question; how often does Stun really factor in end game? I might get stunned once or twice in a fight. Enough to change the tide of battle? Hmmm debatable.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheopisIV [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope, going in circles as always [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Troll = Win. I question; how often does Stun really factor in end game? I might get stunned once or twice in a fight. Enough to change the tide of battle? Hmmm debatable.
How did you come to this conclusion? As I state at the top of my guide, no racial is going to give one Shaman an amazing edge over another. FSI is simply a more effective racial bonus, when paired with Torpor.

As a Troll, you get an extra 4800 HP per hour standing at best, assuming you are under 100% HP the entire time. Torpor Shamans rarely sit, only to change spells, or to get enough mana for the first Torpor when resurrected. With Torpor, you get 1200-1500 HP within 30 seconds (including casting time), depending on when the server tick lands. That means Trolls get 3-4 free Torpors per hour at best. This equates to saving 2 minutes per hour at best, assuming you are regenerating for the entire hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZxMlJSCDc This video shows me getting from low HP and Mana back to full within 3 minutes and 48 seconds. The reality is Torpor Shamans should always be at full HP and Mana when they are not in protracted combat, because Torpor/Cannibalize is just too good. This means you are not regenerating at all, and thus Troll Regeneration isn't working at all for a good portion of the hour. When you are in protracted combat, you don't get as much benefit from regeneration due to the relatively short duration of most fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEgFcImQ9XU In this video you can see an example of a long Shaman fight. In the video's description, I detail all of the places where FSI could have prevented a stun. The video is 22 minutes long. That means a Troll would get an extra 1760 HP at best, which is basically 1.5 Torpors, assuming you do not hit the server tick. You would potentially shorten the fight by 45 seconds at best. FSI saves up to 48 seconds in this specific fight at best. In both cases, saving a little bit of time on a 22 minute fight doesn't really do anything for a Torpor Shaman, but as you can see FSI and Regeneration are basically tied in this regard.

The reason why FSI is better overall is because it can actually save your life in a situation where you need to land a spell as soon as possible. If you get a few resists and interrupts in a row, that could be deadly. FSI can prevent the interrupt from a stun, and thus you can land your spell sooner than a Troll. This usually happens near the beginning of the fight, when you need to land Malo, Slow, and maybe a Root. This part of a fight is usually the most dangerous. Troll Regeneration takes time to build up, which means it is useless in the beginning of the fight, when you would need it most. It can really only save you later on, if you get into the rare situation where an extra 100 or 200 HP is the difference between life and death. FSI can save you at any point in the fight, since it doesn't need time to build up.

Also, Snare Neck isn't really that great, due to it's long cast time, short duration, and terrible snare percentage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGq5PZbMXc Here you can see how little Clinging Darkness actually slows down the mobs, and it doesn't stop them from moving until 15% health, instead of the usual 20%. Root works just fine in almost all cases where you need to stop a mob from running. With casting mobs, they tend to run out of mana by the time they get to 20% health anyway, so root doesn't really hurt you on that front. When it comes to gating mobs, you can just fight them on their spawn point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS3uoIHTu_c this video shows a great example of fighting a caster mob on it's spawn point, so it does not gate, and it also runs out of mana well before the 20% mark. Quite a few mobs in the game do not run, further reducing Clinging Darkness' efficacy. If there is ever a situation where you do need to use snare, https://wiki.project1999.com/Ball_of_Burlap_Yarn and https://wiki.project1999.com/Scepter_of_the_Forlorn work just fine. I have both of these items on my Shaman, and have yet to use them at any time, except in the videos I made on the subject.

If you go Cazic-Thule instead, the fear necklaces only work on Animals/Undead. They can be useful for interrupting Animal/Undead spell casters, but this is a fairly rare situation overall.

Finally, Trolls get a -20 to Fire Resistance, which is definitely not great.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-28-2020 at 06:51 PM..
Old 12-28-2020, 10:30 PM
Aviak

Just poking the bear a little. Not going to read the essay response [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-28-2020, 11:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheopisIV [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just poking the bear a little. Not going to read the essay response [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not really sure what your point is, then. You are making baseless claims, and cannot even be bothered to discuss them[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Why do you want to waste other peoples time?
Old 12-29-2020, 09:56 AM
Aviak

My point is this is a game, not a way of life or religion. People will have different opinions and that's just the way it is. I'm not wasting anybody's time, we're all wasting our own.
Closed Thread