Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 11:35 AM
Fire Giant

Sojourn didn't really "copy" D&D/Forgotten Realms, it was a D&D/FR game, though with some mechanical differences to accomodate the shift from tabletop play to an MMO platform and the text-based format. The MUD was permitted by TSR/WotC and was fully free to play, as per the DIKU license which prohibited charging money in any way. It didn't copy anything any more than one could say that Baldur's Gate copies AD&D.

What Everquest did was copying. It's like if someone today made a new MMORPG with classes and races that are literally the same as the ones in WoW, down to exact abilities and balance paradigm, as well as a world that basically is Azeroth but with different names and such.

Even at the time, it wasn't normal for games to directly take the exact assets of other games unless they were games of the same ruleset (i.e. D&D). This is why there was a lot of consternation and talk of potential legal action. Imagine if Fallout 3 was not actually called Fallout 3 but everything in the game was what it is in FO3 as we know it, except the developers just didn't acknowledge it and hadn't made any kind of deal with Black Isle or Interplay. That's what Everquest did.

I didn't make this thread to smear Brad McQuaid or anything, I just feel like people aren't quite aware of how much of Everquest is an actual direct copy-paste of that game. Some of it happens to be D&D/fantasy tropes because that's the game that was copied, but it goes way beyond that and would not have been legal at all if Sojourn had been more than a free-to-play game run by a handful of hobbyists with a few hundred players.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:55 PM
Sarnak

so tigole was aradune 2.0 rite ?
Mitic - Green - Dial a Port (yes, porting is more fun than raid-rotations) - 2020
Old 10-19-2020, 02:45 AM
Skeleton

Thanks for sharing this!

I really do miss MUDs sometimes. My addiction was always Dragonrealms and Gemstone.
Closed Thread