Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 12:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TK- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are extremely misinformed and spreading terrible information that sounds like every liberal idiot that thinks anyone who makes real money is evil or just lucky. These are certainly not the 'main ways' people get rich. You'll almost never 'get rich' working for someone, either. Those 'high-paying jobs' are very few and far in-between and the bachelor's degree college education you pay for for 20 years of your life most likely isn't going to get you there. Try starting/buying/flipping a business, real estate investing, long term portfolio investing, or creating a product people decide they can't live without. Those are the 'main ways' to get rich, as you say.
Try starting/buying/flipping a business, real estate investing, long term portfolio investing, or creating a product people decide they can't live without.

All of these involve having some non-trivial initial capital. Which you will probably need to work for "someone" to get.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

When I get items half the time I just charm NPCs and put the item on em. Selling them is like so unfun to me. If you dont want it as Im running to the bank spaming the macro I give up.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:44 PM
Fire Giant

The best way to stack plat i've ever found is finding a niche that you don't mind grinding and then set to work. Slow and steady is often better for solo plat farming than the big pay off camps.

HoT clears, or WToV pickup raids have always been a favorite for me. Go for plate bracers, or other items like that. Sell in a day or less for 10k a pop, sometimes you can also snag a chest or legs that will net ya like 50k.

some other solo style ideas

1.VP key piece farming, especially PS
2. IG farming - plat and toes are needed for wort pots
3. farming mats for or making consumables people use to raid
4. Gem farming in velks or sebilis
5. be an enchanter

Other than that, getting a small farm crew of 2-3 other people that also have a a few solid classes at 60 is your best route. Then you can do things like fungi kind and when a tunic drops you just split the plat 3 ways or something like that. At this point you can even start to think of things like lodi. Pooling gains with a small group will get you up and going till you have enough plat on your own to then also play the market buying low and selling high.

Plus, playing the game with people, especially a smaller group where you all have a vested interest really makes the whole thing 100x more enjoyable. I would advise against becoming a netflix champion while killing PS placeholder every 6 mins or whatever it is
Old 10-30-2020, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoutoftrol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try starting/buying/flipping a business, real estate investing, long term portfolio investing, or creating a product people decide they can't live without.

All of these involve having some non-trivial initial capital. Which you will probably need to work for "someone" to get.
Working for 'someone' isn't a bad thing to help you get your start. (We all technically work for 'someone' - even if you own your business your customers are your 'someone'). I didn't say it was a bad thing, either, but if your life goal is to get a comfy job as an employee (warm body with or without college) then you most likely won't get rich. If a couple thousand dollars to get your first investment property or $500 to open an investment portfolio isn't doable for you, then you have little to no chance to accumulate wealth and your mind frame and/or habits are most likely the reason unless you're disabled in some way. Research and make as many good choices about your life and money as you can, and start as early as you can. Make your goal to spend less than you make even if it means working two jobs and taking the bus to work, skipping parties/dates with friends, moving to a cheaper or better living location, etc... If you have a great idea for a product or service, make a mock-up and pitch it to people that already have money. No one said you don't have to put in some work to get started, but thinking those are the main ways people get rich is preposterous and ill-informed. Start small if you have to, and build on your small successes to develop confidence and pave the way for larger success.

In EQ, you also have to work to get a start on something. Level your toon, farm those gems and crafting supplies, camp those mobs and MQ's, port people, and flip those items in EC. It all will take time and effort, though. This is a game that generally rewards time played and efforts made, and it's a fact that won't change. So, yes, it will be exponentially harder for someone to be plat wealthy if they play 4 hours a week vs 24. And if you make a new alt and 'twink' it every time you get 1,000 plat in the bank, then re-evaluate your spending choices if your goal is to be plat wealthy. The #1 way to make more money for anyone new to the server is just to level to 60 first. Plain and simple. It simply opens more cash making opportunities. From there your profitability varies depending on your class. As an example, Enchanters are strong level 60 solo toons due to their ability to move through dungeons and pick off camps. But in the meantime, be entrepreneurial while leveling, too. If you're killing bears and wolves for the next 5 levels, post an ad on the forums stating so and see if you can match up with someone that is currently leveling their craft and can use the pelts you get. If they pay you more than the vendor, you're already up money and experience! Make like-minded friends along the way, too. The right friends are usually key to your success as well. In game and out.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naerron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The best way to stack plat i've ever found is finding a niche that you don't mind grinding and then set to work. Slow and steady is often better for solo plat farming than the big pay off camps.

HoT clears, or WToV pickup raids have always been a favorite for me. Go for plate bracers, or other items like that. Sell in a day or less for 10k a pop, sometimes you can also snag a chest or legs that will net ya like 50k.

some other solo style ideas

1.VP key piece farming, especially PS
2. IG farming - plat and toes are needed for wort pots
3. farming mats for or making consumables people use to raid
4. Gem farming in velks or sebilis
5. be an enchanter

Other than that, getting a small farm crew of 2-3 other people that also have a a few solid classes at 60 is your best route. Then you can do things like fungi kind and when a tunic drops you just split the plat 3 ways or something like that. At this point you can even start to think of things like lodi. Pooling gains with a small group will get you up and going till you have enough plat on your own to then also play the market buying low and selling high.

Plus, playing the game with people, especially a smaller group where you all have a vested interest really makes the whole thing 100x more enjoyable. I would advise against becoming a netflix champion while killing PS placeholder every 6 mins or whatever it is
Pained soul is, indeed, a very easy and valuable camp. If you can get the camp it won't be hard to sell the MQ for a premium...ofc, if folks talk about it will be harder to find open now.

The general rule of thumb: those who know don't say, those who say don't know.

We all have our secret little tricks that we try to keep on the down low.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TK- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't say it was a bad thing, either, but if your life goal is to get a comfy job as an employee (warm body with or without college) then you most likely won't get rich.
I mainly disagree here. I guess it depends on your definition of rich but in our current system the most likely way to amass a decent amount of wealth is to be a jobber. Following common investing/retirement advice. 65% of new businesses fail within 10 years of opening. Investing that much time/capital into something with a high likelihood of failure will set you back tremendously. And if you are following the well trodden path of the jobber starting early and being consistent is key.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:29 PM
Sarnak

If your goal is to have tens to hundreds of millions of dollar in your lifetime, you need to be starting businesses or doing leveraged investing of some sort. These are high risk, high reward ventures.

If you just want a few million dollars, its very viable to just study something where you can get paid 100k+ per year and invest 25-30% of your earnings. You will probably end up in the mid single digit millions net worth, and depending on how you choose to handle your retirement, you have the option of your grandchildren attempting to step into a really wealthy tier off your inheritance.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If your goal is to have tens to hundreds of millions of dollar in your lifetime, you need to be starting businesses or doing leveraged investing of some sort. These are high risk, high reward ventures.

If you just want a few million dollars, its very viable to just study something where you can get paid 100k+ per year and invest 25-30% of your earnings. You will probably end up in the mid single digit millions net worth, and depending on how you choose to handle your retirement, you have the option of your grandchildren attempting to step into a really wealthy tier off your inheritance.
and contributing to the asshole trust fund kiddy cycle!

jk.

sort of.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoutoftrol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mainly disagree here. I guess it depends on your definition of rich but in our current system the most likely way to amass a decent amount of wealth is to be a jobber. Following common investing/retirement advice. 65% of new businesses fail within 10 years of opening. Investing that much time/capital into something with a high likelihood of failure will set you back tremendously. And if you are following the well trodden path of the jobber starting early and being consistent is key.
It all absolutely depends on your definition of 'wealthy' or 'rich', but most people will say that what you are describing is living 'comfortably' and 'the safe path'. I don't think the comment I was addressing was describing the same thing that you are if for no other reason he mentioned winning the lottery. Pay off your house, have a little savings, and maybe a million in your retirement if you're lucky and don't run into trouble? That's pretty nice, but that's not wealthy/rich in the context of the numbers being talked about in this thread. You're not buying a million dollar luxury yacht (Holgresh beads) with that path. I'm willing to wager that 98% or better of people that play on this server never get anywhere near 500k in liquid platinum as referenced in the topic. So let's consider 'wealthy' and 'rich' within that regard. To be in the top 2% in America you need a household pre-tax income of about $500,000-600,000. There are very few specific cases where even two people together are pulling down that kind of money where at least one of them doesn't head/own a company or multiple companies or investment groups. You don't get there pushing paper for someone or working for McD's for 35 years.

Absolutely, businesses fail. There's always risk. I can use my own experience as an example. I learned about that risk pretty hard at about 20 when I had a landscaping/snow removal company and my (older) business partner ran off with the equipment leaving me to foot the bills because I naively put it all in my name. But, I've come back from that (with the luxury of time) and started over and now have reached a level of success that 20 year old me could have never imagined. If you're afraid to fail, can't take criticism, or don't have a high drive ambition to have real control of your time, what you describe is a great way to build wealth over a lifetime. But slow and steady doesn't always win you the race. True wealth, in my opinion, is health and control of your time. Money is just the means. Having the means to retire and only pay property taxes and maintenance on your home/homes before 40 while being in control of what you choose to do most days is wealthy/rich to me. Retiring with ~1 million or so in your 401k and retirement account at 65 after working for 35+ years for someone else that dictates my schedule is not. At that point they've taken more from you than you received and that seems like a terrible deal to me. We also don't live in an economy anymore where people really stay at jobs for 5+ years let alone 30+ as was more common in the boomer generation. Either by their choice or their employers, it's just the reality of it.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:48 PM
Banned

Sell 5 bard PLs from 59-60 in DN and bam tu have 500k in a week.
Closed Thread