Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Smile Are Logitech G15 G key recorded macros alllowed?

Hey, wasn't sure if this was the correct place to place this (but this is technical).

Anyway, I heard that someone got banned for using "Macroquest" (no real clue what it is but it's some sort of cheat from what I heard in OOC).

What is the server's stance on using the G1-G8 keys on a Logitech g15? I'm a Shaman, and as you know, we have a LOT of buffs. Was just thinking it would be a good idea to hook up all my buff keys (cast 1-4, sit, med a bit etc.) to a G key to make my life easier. (This could also be done with a 2 or so hotkeys but doing it with one key would be great).

I've used this in games like TF2, LOTR online, and WoW to do tedious things before. But I wasn't sure about this server's stance (or if you could even detect this! haha).

Anyway thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Planar Protector

i dont see why that wouldnt be allowed... you can "code" the same functionality with the ingame hotkeys ... so [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Uaellaen; 05-10-2010 at 01:59 AM..
Old 05-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Planar Protector

I always was under the impression that anything that automates anything where you might be able to gain an advantage over other players without being at the screen was bannable.

So in the instance you described I don't think it would be bannable because it would be as if you were pressing the buttons yourself.

I enchant things...
Old 05-10-2010, 04:00 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnimorph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I always was under the impression that anything that automates anything where you might be able to gain an advantage over other players without being at the screen was bannable.
This. From what I gather, any automation is fair game as long as you can reply to messages from a GM/guide, i.e. prove that you're at the keyboard even if you're not pressing the keys yourself.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorroth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. From what I gather, any automation is fair game as long as you can reply to messages from a GM/guide, i.e. prove that you're at the keyboard even if you're not pressing the keys yourself.
Afk autorun in oot to raise swimming? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I enchant things...
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Orc

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that the G15's macroing capability would be considered an exploit. At the end of the day the keyboard might save you a couple keystrokes, but you still have to be at the keyboard and press the G# key to initiate one of it's macros. Tools like Macroquest could be programmed to read data directly from the EQ Client and literally play for you, while you may not even be in the room. That is what I believe the rules were intended to prevent.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Planar Protector

Well of course it depends on what you use it for. If you use it for doing stuff afk, then yes it's exploiting. The same way leaving your pet somewhere to kill things and getting exp whilst afk is exploiting.

Now if you've got a G key programmed to say run a spell sequence (cast 1, pause x, cast 2, pause x, cast 3, /sit, pause x) Then by all means press it to stop you having to do all those commands, you're still at the keyboard etc so it's equivalent to pressing the buttons yourself, and to everyone watching you may as well be doing that.

It's undetectable as it doesn't operate within EQ, but if it appears you're doing things (moving, casting spells etc) and are seemingly afk (not responding, repeating actions with seemingly mapped timing) then there's a good chance you'll get banned if caught.

Might be quite useful for bards who don't have /melody [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I enchant things...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via MSN to Jify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnimorph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Might be quite useful for bards who don't have /melody [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So tempting... I have a busted G15 sitting in the closet I should fix. My wrists would thank me.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Fire Giant

imho it is allowed, or at last should be, if you dont do somethin like an AFK-loop or so..
tho with the current version, you cannot have G-key-clicks in macros, so no more infinite loops.. still, i think as long as you just use em like extended ingame macros, there should be no problem..

[50 Warrior] Rumzuck Umbatsch (Ogre) <Remedy>
[34 Druid] Vito Corleone (Wood Elf) <Europa>
[35 Necromancer] Torak (Dark Elf) <Europa>
[13 Shadow Knight] Rumzerg (Dark Elf) <Europa>

EQEmuLauncher
Have your files up to date, switch between servers nice and easy, and more!
http://moestaverne.com/

Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
imho it is allowed, or at last should be, if you dont do somethin like an AFK-loop or so..
tho with the current version, you cannot have G-key-clicks in macros, so no more infinite loops.. still, i think as long as you just use em like extended ingame macros, there should be no problem..
Really? my G15 let's me set the G buttons to run macros that are either 1 time only, or toggle on and off. So if I had a macro i set that ran through a repeatable script, and i set it to toggle on / off, it would be an infinite macro. So pretty sure you could do an infinite one, course it would probably be quite obvious when someones doing it.

I enchant things...