Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 03-30-2022, 01:49 AM
Kobold

Default Community service fails

I hoped as we all got older playing this game, it would result in a community of people mostly glad it still just exists! I made a bad judgment call based on that recently:

I was generous and gave a bunch of cash to some newer players in Mistmoore, since for the past 9 or so years that is all I've pretty much done anyway- randomly plvl, Oprah-style hand out gear, or help monks back in Dalnir on their pilgrimage to get crescent gear before Velious hit. This time though, for the time I was on a work trip, I offered to let a small crew that was joining my guild borrow my fungi while I was gone, even after I already donated 20k pp to each of them. Sadly since then the characters Layerone, Layereight, and Pebkac disappeared. Did they just grab it and run? Maybe-- or I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they live in Ukraine or something.

Another one just sort of made me sad and actually was more of a bummer haha... Back on live 22 years ago, someone ran up to me and role played and handed me some bronze armor and an axe of the iron back saying I needed to use this gear to go on... it was like the ultimate quest. So recently I did all the ivy etched quests, camped an fbss, got a woodsmans staff, and good bow etc etc... all in efforts to run up to a newb and give it to them with some similar joke role play quest to take the gear and pay it forward. I tried to do some recon to see if they were actually a legit newb not just twink #231 of the top guild people. I found a candidate and approached them to give em the gear with a joke role play quest. i totally geared a new player, and they just said "cool thanks." [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What am I getting at? I guess I just hoped my actions overall would have been more fun and would have brought joy. And of course, per the internet, I expect some pretty nasty responses to this as well.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:32 AM
Planar Protector

Rule of thumb I follow is you shouldnt let anyone borrow anything that you expect to get back, they could log off like you said for reasons uncontrollable and so you need to expect that.

As for your second story you just need to work out a better budget model for that. Maybe I suggest a ruby.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:16 AM
Planar Protector

I did the same thing in diablo 2 the other day...took me a year and a half to gear up my hammerdin with all BiS. I gave it to a new player..he picks it all up and just save and exits the server.

People overall seem to suck pretty bad man. Especially on the internet. Nobody is grateful for anything and you can see it here in some forum posts. People forget this server is completely free and constantly available.

I guess what I'm trying to say is--good on you for lending a helping hand to a noob. Don't let this sour your opinion on helping a noob in need. Even though he wasn't quite as appreciative as you'd expect, you never know what kind of day somebody is having. For all you know he was super stoked and just didn't communicate that very well.

Anyways, god speed my friend.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 03-30-2022, 10:40 AM
Sarnak

I get your frustration. I twink and level new toons pretty regularly. All I do now. Not all of the community sucks, but every year that goes by it does seem to get worse.

I definitely wouldn't trust people on here with valuable items.. not unless you don't care at all if you get it back or not.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

Let your G/F make a rogue and have some semblance of fun instead of forcing her to be the cleric like every other douchebag on earth. Make the druid root and heal.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let your G/F make a rogue and have some semblance of fun instead of forcing her to be the cleric like every other douchebag on earth. Make the druid root and heal.
Wrong thread guy.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 03-30-2022, 03:15 PM
Kobold

I give stuff away all the time, don't keep track of who I give it to. Some newbs, some alt-holics, it doesn't matter. I think at the end it makes the server more enjoyable for others, and maybe some of them will pay it forward. I even gave some stuff away to some multiboxers who frequent CC. Hard part with the server is that it's very top heavy, and dead anywhere in earlier levels as any old server would be.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:02 AM
Sarnak

I retired in 2017.. Gave about 500k away in Crushbone, as it's my nostalgia zone. Gave a single close friend access to my account(s) with multiple vulak/tunare/doze geared toons on it.

Just logged it, it's all exactly where I left it.

Some people are decent. A lot of people are not.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:17 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thumbs up

I have played EQ back in the days. Now, I'm an iksar warrior lvl 23 on Kunark (always wanted <3 ).
Shortly after i started, some random dude come and gave me a full set of banded armor and later another one a battle of staff.

That was so awesome. I thanked them many times but got the weird feeling of wanting to be able to help them back but not being able. One day, i hope I'll be able to give the same feeling and help to a new gamers.

I'm sad if things doesn't turn right for you (if it is definitely, maybe they will come back). But for all the others like me, i want to thank you in particular today and the others who like you did it. You make the game so more enjoyable for new gamers.

Just my 2 coppers to tell you that some of us are (really) grateful.
Last edited by laacan; 04-02-2022 at 01:20 AM..
Old 04-04-2022, 03:52 AM
Kobold

I started on p99 blue in June 2021 I think and very early I got a Knotted Turtlebone Ring for my low level druid in Unrest. I still have that ring on my level 60 druid and I am still in contact from time to time with the player, who gave it to me.