Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

View Poll Results: Ogre or Troll
Ogre 37 32.46%
Troll 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 09:39 PM
Aviak

Question Shaman.. And the Race decisions..

I will be starting on Green either tonight or tomorrow and haven't played the game in quite a while. I used to almost exclusively play as Iksars, but that will not be available.

100% am making a shaman, although I am hoping for a little input on to be an Ogre or a Troll. I have no interest in playing as Barbarian. I've read on wiki the snare clicky trolls can get + the regen, but how use full is it actually? Then there are[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] the Hulking Ogres with the stats and no frontal stun.

Any extra input to help me decide one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.

( i generally will only be playing 1-3 hrs at most a day, except occasional weekends that'll be able to binge )
Old 02-05-2020, 10:11 PM
Planar Protector

Ogres get a significant stat bonus, which is helpful for the first like 20-30 levels when you melee and not a bad thing at higher levels when you have a stam and wis edge over the troll. FSI is cool cause nobody likes getting a spell interrupted by bash or getting stunned from the front. But the things all the people who say "go ogre for FSI" focus on are really, really niche: "casting that clutch gate with 4 mobs beating on you" and "soloing velious dragons bro" and "don't want to get stunned when trying to cast that critical slow!"

Yeah, sure. But that's like 1% of your gameplay overall. Or less.

I went troll with my sham because regen is not to be undervalued on green, imo. Rubicite BP is a small difference. Fungi tunics and staffs, and torpor, will all be a long ways down the road and all be difficult to obtain (even iksar bp isn't going to drop like candy), especially the more casual you are. There won't be mana free epic clicks to help kill stuff for ANYONE for like 1.5 years still, and even then they will no be trivial to obtain. Imo almost all shamans will want as much regen as they can get to canni into mana, especially those who are spending more time in groups or raids and therefore getting even less use out of FSI than a solo-focused sham.

Some people swear by the snare clicky, others just say it is situational and annoying to use. A couple people even swear by the cazic thule undead and animal fear clickies. But again, these items aren't even going to be in the game for quite a while.

You really can't screw up a shaman's race imo. If the 1% situations really call out to you and you like the better stats? Go ogre. If you like the idea of maxing your mana regen out all the time whether you're solo or grouping or raiding, or you love the idea of a couple clickies? Go troll. Or pick based on appearance. Don't worry about the small exp penalty differences.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 02-05-2020 at 10:16 PM..
Old 02-05-2020, 10:28 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I played Inny troll when I started on blue. The regen really helped when I started out to reduce downtime and the snare clicky definitely comes in handy when monk duoing etc. The regen also helps when you can't afford ikky bp and fungi etc when they become available they are going to cost the earth. When I hit 60 there was nothing I couldn't solo that an ogre could. I did notice a few occasions where bashes interrupted me, but I think the troll regen is a massive boon leveling up once you have canni unless you have a massive plat bank from a former main. I would personally go troll although I think Ogre is fractionally better in the very end game provided you have topor but the troll racial really helps solobility and canni conversion efficiency in groups (No Ench Breeze pre Kunark either).
Old 02-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Aviak

Awesome, I appreciate the replies very much. Kind of helped push me in the direction I wanted to go.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

Go with what you like the look of. I have a Inny troll on blue and appreciate the perks but frankly could have done just as fine with a barb. The JBB in Kunark is awesome so iksar would have been a longer grind 45-55.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 PM
Fire Giant

And don't forget, Polar Bear > Black Bear > Brown Bear
Old 02-06-2020, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Barbarian wins fashion quest - if you choose anything but a Barb you will ultimately lose the game since at the very high-end fashion is king
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 02-06-2020, 12:53 PM
Aviak

Thanks for the info! leaning towards Troll right now. When will Kunark be released?
Old 02-06-2020, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

Looks > all. Which is why Troll is the answer.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:58 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Looks > all. Which is why Troll is the answer.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread