Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 08:23 PM
Sarnak

Default Why do players stay hardcore after this much time?

This is an honest inquiry, since I find the notion pretty interesting.

This game has been around for 20ish years. Likely, most of us played back in the day, and liked the game so much that nostalgia drew us back here. But after Blue/Red being out for so long, and then the new servers dropped, I’ve known or heard of many of the same people from Blue/Red’s hardcore player base (the determined raiders, playing more than 6 hours a day, fighting tooth and nail to get repeated raid spawns etc.) restarted on Green/Teal, and did ALL THE SAME THINGS completely over again. I’m just trying to understand, how does one have the motivation to spend 6-10 hours a day (or more) doing on Green the exact same thing they previously did on Blue/Red such a very short time ago?

I guess I’m trying to understand because I don’t think I could find the motivation to do that again (I wasn’t a Blue player, this is just from talking to a lot of folks in-game and on forums). How do you get excited camping the same things over again for days on end?

I’m not judging!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:25 PM
Fire Giant

I mean, I'm no hardcore raid goober. But with how the internet was, and the fact that I was a minor when EQ was in its classic phase: I didn't have a chance to go hard back in the day. So I definitely go harder than I did back then.

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Old 02-20-2020, 08:28 PM
Sarnak

Content is still pretty new to me
Old 02-20-2020, 09:19 PM
Fire Giant

One major difference I’ve found from modern eq vs classic eq is it’s so much easier to be on all the time now. Most people have their computer going all the time, are windowed out, probably bs’ing on discord, doing other shit and it’s so easy to tab in blow up a dragon and go back to whatever. Back in the day not so much. For modern EQ (both p99 and live/TLPs) a “hardcore” probably isn’t even looking at the EQ screen that often while a “casual” player is probably actually doing more in the game..
Old 02-20-2020, 09:37 PM
Planar Protector

Work smarter not harder.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:31 PM
Orc

the content might not be fresh but the memories im making are all new, and i want to spend as much time doing that.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:23 AM
Kobold

I've never been a raider, but I still put time into Classic EQ because it offers a unique experience. Its been 20 years and there still hasn't been a proper followup, and there likely never will be. I'm enjoying it while it lasts because there won't be a fresh crop of younger players who will keep the game alive 10 or 20 years from now.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:48 AM
Sarnak

I think I could retire with maintaining an EQ server as a hobby. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-21-2020, 07:01 AM
Kobold

its because items in EQ1 are so valuable and coveted compared to other mmos where a upgrade can be replaced literally 5 minutes after you get it from a quest, geting a bis item in EQ is a feeling you dont get in other MMOs because its not something easy to come by and is going to last you and your alts a lifetime of value

no other mmo still can provide that feeling, loot in other mmos is just 20 gold vendor trash after a patch or 2 comes out, but a fbss or manastone is with you for a lifetime
Old 02-21-2020, 07:42 AM
Fire Giant

Easy answer : these people have just no lives (RL I mean...)
Closed Thread