Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 02-08-2023, 04:45 PM
Banned

Default Ranger Epic - It feels like a downgrade if I get my Epic

Getting the Ranger epic seems like downgrading.

Sure, Swiftwind is good for the 40% worn haste.

But Earthcaller? I already have a Swarmcaller.

And a Wurmslayer outdamages both lol

What is this? Some sort of con job??
Old 02-08-2023, 04:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Getting the Ranger epic seems like downgrading.

Sure, Swiftwind is good for the 40% worn haste.

But Earthcaller? I already have a Swarmcaller.

And a Wurmslayer outdamages both lol

What is this? Some sort of con job??
With main hand damage bonus, Earthcaller is better than Wurmslayer. At level 60 Earthcaller becomes a 25/24 weapon, and Wurmslayer is a 36/40.

Think of Earthcaller like merging a Blade of Carnage with Swarmcaller. You get a better ratio weapon with the same kind of slow, so you have better DPS per kill since you don't have to swap it out.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 02-08-2023 at 04:55 PM..
Old 02-08-2023, 04:54 PM
Banned

But how? Because of the dot proc?
Old 02-08-2023, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But how? Because of the dot proc?
Main hand damage bonus adds to the damage of the weapon. At level 1 Earthcaller is a 14 damage 24 delay weapon. At level 60 you add 11 to the weapon damage under the hood. It becomes a 25 damage 24 delay weapon.

Wurmslayer would only be a 36/40.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Main hand damage bonus adds to the damage of the weapon. At level 1 Earthcaller is a 14 damage 24 delay weapon. At level 60 you add 11 to the weapon damage under the hood. It becomes a 25 damage 24 delay weapon.

Wurmslayer would only be a 36/40.
This is not my understanding of damage bonus. I understand damage bonus as adding to the damage dealt, effectively increasing the player's minimum hit. So a 14/25 remains a 14/25, but at 60 the bonus adds a flat 11 more onto every swing the player makes. Damage bonus for 1H is a fixed value, so it inherently favors fast weapons, and it is most effective against high AC enemies where normal hits tend to skew low. As such the player should only see hits for 1 with kick or the off-hand weapon. Looking at it another way, Wurmslayer gets a bit under two-thirds the benefit from the damage bonus as Earthcaller does on account of Wurmslayer's slow delay.

2H damage bonus scales with weapon delay.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is not my understanding of damage bonus. I understand damage bonus as adding to the damage dealt, effectively increasing the player's minimum hit. So a 14/25 remains a 14/25, but at 60 the bonus adds a flat 11 more onto every swing the player makes. Damage bonus for 1H is a fixed value, so it inherently favors fast weapons, and it is most effective against high AC enemies where normal hits tend to skew low. As such the player should only see hits for 1 with kick or the off-hand weapon. Looking at it another way, Wurmslayer gets a bit under two-thirds the benefit from the damage bonus as Earthcaller does on account of Wurmslayer's slow delay.

2H damage bonus scales with weapon delay.
I will admit that I am still a little fuzzy on the exact maths for damage bonus. I got my current information from this post:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...91&postcount=4

Based on my own data, when my Monk went from level 39-40, his max damage increased from 147 to 160 using Imbued Fighters Staff (38/40). This is when the damage bonus goes from 4-5.

I don't believe the damage bonus simply adds a flat value onto the final number. That wouldn't account for the full 13 damage increase. I didn't change my STR significantly between that level range either, nor was I STR buffed. This is a 2h weapon, and 40 is a big level, so I am not sure if there are other factors to be considered.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:58 PM
Banned

So lower delay weapons benefit more from that bonus
Old 02-08-2023, 04:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Exactly. Think of Earthcaller like merging a Blade of Carnage with Swarmcaller. You get a better ratio weapon with the same kind of slow, so you have better DPS per kill since you don't have to swap it out.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yah.. Swiftblade of zek makes for a nice swap with Earthcaller after it procs due to the low delay/stats.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yah.. Swiftblade of zek makes for a nice swap with Earthcaller after it procs due to the low delay/stats.
Yeah Swift Blade of Zek is great if you can get it.