Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

I have fond memories of before Luclin and shitty memories from during and after Luclin. The official pronunciation annoys me. Outer space doesn't mesh well with high fantasy for me. Power creep got into full swing (on live, anyway; the extended timeline has power creep in full swing since a 6 months into Velious on here or something like that), both in the gearing treadmill sense and in the "there's now a ridiculous gap between the casual players and the hardcore players that wasn't very pronounced in classic and kunark (and velious on live, generally, but not on here)." Nexus and bazaar removed a lot of positive flavor elements from the game, or at least relegated them to backburners. If they had forced those awful new models on us back then, that alone would have been a dealbreaker; wow, they were awful... and not in the nostalgic, cute, oldschool kind of way.

Yeah, beastlords were pretty cool. I don't mind the cats in and of themselves. Bazaar was a time saver. AAs could have been worse (I enjoy multiple avenues of progression, not just a gear grind that is present once you max out in classic EQ). But the negatives far outweight the positives, imo.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paragon, stackable mind candy, single target dps boost buff 6min +100atk buff boosting a rogues dps substantially - think you could keep it rotated on 2 rogues too esp since it stacked with avatar.

Beastlords lacked on dps directly but a well played one was good on raids. Having a handful of Beastlords helped CH chains/casters nuke more esp. If you MGBed Paragon every one after the other.

People never factored in the amount of surplus dps beastlords bought to raids with their tool kit. Only looked at dps charts, and went meh.

Beastlords could let 2-3 extra chs per cleric, 2-3 extra nukes per casters 2-3 extra necro pumps to clerics before everyone goes OOM.
Random buffs are not what a "Beastlord" should be doing. This is just a pile of stats, it's not good design. The class didn't bring any new mechanic to the game that made them necessary for a specific function; you never needed a Beastlord to do anything in the same way that other defining abilities allowed classes to bring something unique to the game world. They were just an overpowered class for leveling up that only remained relevant in the endgame because of unthematic buffs.

As I said, I like the base concept of a class that can be DPS through an equal combination of their own damage + pet, but that really should be something Rangers can do in the first place; a "Beastlord" should just be one way you can spec the Ranger class. They didn't even implement that part of it correctly though, instead the class had a super powerful pet (encroaching on what Mages should be the premiere class at), then gave them Shaman spells to have a full set of "hybrid" abilities since the base idea of the class was too narrow by itself, and then they threw on the extra buff crap to make them relevant for raids, which made them even more OP for non-raid kind of play.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 PM
Large Rat

+'s bazaar was cool, dyed gear, free ports, paludal caverns xp wow , centi long sword
Old 01-29-2019, 04:00 PM
Sarnak

Luclin was overall good and so was PoP. All downhill after. Luclin goes way up when you dump the spires, bazaar and character models.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 PM
Sarnak

I hated the new character models.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Old 01-29-2019, 10:18 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I hated the zone design, was meh about the model updates, but I loved BSTs.

Had fond memories of the early BST days... the warder was an Ability that you summoned and then Buffed to appropriate level. We figured out quick that you could get the Befriend Animal drop from LFay and use it to charm random animals, buff them insanely, and then leave/reenter a zone to watch the carnage the now massively overpowered pet would wreak on unsuspecting people.

Oh, and I guess Pet Clericing... casting the buff spell on the pet would CH it in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm indifferent to Vah Shir.
It's okay, they're indifferent to everyone, too.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Fire Giant

How a game designer could look at those character models and think "hmm, looks good to me!" is mind blowing
Old 01-29-2019, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How a game designer could look at those character models and think "hmm, looks good to me!" is mind blowing
Same with the art styles.

From Keith Parkinson

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To ? and whatever the hell this is for Omens of War.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-29-2019, 11:50 PM
Kobold

I was so young playing SoL that my memories of it are pretty vague. I remember zones, some spells, Vah Shir/Beastlords ofc. PLing 1-20 in 4.2 seconds in Nethlair. Overall I guess I didn't play it enough to hate it as much as most people seem to, but I'd wager their hatred for it is the same as people who hate anything after the OT of Star Wars, or movies that aren't identical to the books. Not a hatred based out of logic, just because 'it's not what they like', and what they like is what they saw first. Like the people who claim Fortnite is the best video game ever because it's the only one they ever played.

Though I can't say the character models ever appealed to me. The humanoid models look ok but their animations are crap. The ogres/trolls etc and especially Iksar I hated even when I was like 12. Mainly if I had to hate something it would be power creep. This really starts in Kunark, as most classic gear is trash, but of course with every new xpac it gets worse and worse. On the flip side, for this server power creep doesn't impact much for low levels because everyone is already twinked to the point of being stat capped halfway through character creation and while it would make farming higher level stuff (how many camps need more than 1 enchanter again?) more trivial the gear would be less important.

All in all I want green more than Luclin, but I'd come back to blue for Luclin all the same. I'm not pronouncing it 'luck-lin' though. I don't give a damn if 'loose-lin' isn't official or even grammatically accurate!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Overall I guess I didn't play it enough to hate it as much as most people seem to, but I'd wager their hatred for it is the same as people who hate anything after the OT of Star Wars, or movies that aren't identical to the books. Not a hatred based out of logic, just because 'it's not what they like', and what they like is what they saw first. Like the people who claim Fortnite is the best video game ever because it's the only one they ever played.
You just came in to a thread where people are giving specific, detailed reasons for disliking the expansion, and said that everyone's hatred is illogical? Meanwhile you said you don't even know much about the expansion yourself so....dunno if you're the right one to judge in this case

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Closed Thread