Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argronok0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have this goal and vow that I wanna fight and beat Lord Nagafen in that Dungeon of his. But I worry that not many people are forming parties to fight that guy becuase he's outdated. And people will be equipped with the new stronger gear that the expansions offer, making Nagafen easier.
Ahhh I was once a ignorant young flower like you with hopeful dreams... fortunately mine involved entering into Plane of Fear with a small elite force and killing mobs for the challenge.

Mission Accomplished with my buddy Lyant on the first occasion and my buddy Zentile on the second:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

You could try ALS. They try to play as classic as possible (until raiding lul).

Levelling up and gearing up, their ruleset excludes you from the mass market and you have to buy items +/- a certain level range from yourself IIRC
Old 04-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argronok0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know where to get quests.
Everquest might be the worst-named MMORPG in the history of the genre. Most players only do minor amounts of questing. You locate quests by hailing various NPC's around the game world and responding to their [text] in brackets. It's clunky to say the least. In practice most players find quests by looking it up on the internet, usually on the P1999 wiki.

The majority of quests available at low-level tend to exist mostly for role-play (world lore) or faction purposes, occasionally for experience (gnoll fangs, crushbone belts), and very rarely for useful items. Unlike the majority of newer games, quests can be repeated as often as the user wishes. For example, in Warcraft you might've been sent to collect 10 bear hides. Not 8, not 11--10. Then no more. In EQ, you can take those gnoll fangs and turn them in whether you have 1, 10, 100--whatever.

-----------------------------------

With respect to the original game, take us at our word for it: The original's great, but by itself isn't really adequate to support a large population. Kunark and Velious, while expansions, were both part of the game's original design and ended up as expansions mainly due to budget and time pressures. That's why P1999 decided to stop with Velious--that's where the original "vision" was complete and, afterwards, the genuinely new expansions began.

Danth
Old 04-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You could try ALS. They try to play as classic as possible (until raiding lul).

Levelling up and gearing up, their ruleset excludes you from the mass market and you have to buy items +/- a certain level range from yourself IIRC
He's not going to know ALS. It's a guild "auld lang syne". it's a good suggestion but being excluded from trading in EC isn't very classic, unless you played classic on the test server.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He's not going to know ALS. It's a guild "auld lang syne". it's a good suggestion but being excluded from trading in EC isn't very classic, unless you played classic on the test server.
Yeah I prefer sticking with the main server at Velious.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Large Rat

You could try looking at one of the new time-locked progression servers from Daybreak, particularly the Mangler server. It does not have any "content" past Classic until June (when the first expansion, Ruins of Kunark, unlocks). You'll have to pay to play it.

It does, however, feature many quality of life improvements that the original game lacked and thus is not strictly classic.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah based on what you're looking to do OP i think daybreaks Mangler server is right up your alley. It just launched like 2 weeks ago and will unlock expansions every 3 months. For someone wanting to do classic with no expansions and not have to play much catchup to others Id say its your best bet. It does cost a subscription tho and isnt as classic of an experience as here. With that said tho it was a fun experience to do a progression server from Daybreak at least once.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 04-02-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic is my own favorite period of the game, but it's marred by the woefully inadequate amount of content for levels past about 35. It was allright when P99 was in that period due to the low population at the time, but the present population (or higher) would be problematic to say the least.
Classic had enough content for 35+ because of cities, ironically. There were tons of city guards/shopkeepers/NPC's that could be hunted. Every city area in the game became a battleground. That was such a great aspect of Classic, higher level players would be fighting right where new players started; made the game world so vibrant.

If those MOBs were left unnerfed for hunting purposes and if a Classic server opened with The Hole active (yeah it was Kunark era but it's a "classic" zone), then I think it would be plenty. It's actually the low/mid level areas that can be more crowded, at least depending on where the overall level range of the population is at.
Last edited by Zuranthium; 04-02-2019 at 03:14 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everquest might be the worst-named MMORPG in the history of the genre. Most players only do minor amounts of questing. You locate quests by hailing various NPC's around the game world and responding to their [text] in brackets. It's clunky to say the least. In practice most players find quests by looking it up on the internet, usually on the P1999 wiki.

The majority of quests available at low-level tend to exist mostly for role-play (world lore) or faction purposes, occasionally for experience (gnoll fangs, crushbone belts), and very rarely for useful items. Unlike the majority of newer games, quests can be repeated as often as the user wishes. For example, in Warcraft you might've been sent to collect 10 bear hides. Not 8, not 11--10. Then no more. In EQ, you can take those gnoll fangs and turn them in whether you have 1, 10, 100--whatever.

-----------------------------------

With respect to the original game, take us at our word for it: The original's great, but by itself isn't really adequate to support a large population. Kunark and Velious, while expansions, were both part of the game's original design and ended up as expansions mainly due to budget and time pressures. That's why P1999 decided to stop with Velious--that's where the original "vision" was complete and, afterwards, the genuinely new expansions began.

Danth
Ok I see the bracket text in the NPC's dialoge. But how do I respond to it? Do I type in the exact same bracket words in the chat to continue because I did and nothing happens?

Basically how do I get these quests to appear in my Quest Journal?
Old 04-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Sarnak

If you have never played EQ before, go Play on the Daybreak Server Mangler. It has 2-3 more months of classic before Kunark will release. It also Features several non-classic things that make playing more forgiving and fun.

Pure classic is fun if you're enjyoing the nostalgic character. Pure classic is not fun if you're new to the game. It's unforgiving, complex, a ridiculous time-sink and inconvenient.
Closed Thread