Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Large Rat

Question List of skills that need "primed"?

I'm trying to find a list of skills that need at least one point spent on training them before they will increase with use.

Are "level-locked" skills the only ones that need primed? (E.g. Rogue's Dodge @ level 4, Warrior's Parry @ level 10.)

It seems like some skills (Sense Heading, Begging) don't increase until I put the point in. Does the first point simply take dozens of attempts?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Fire Giant

You need to "buy" the first point for most level-locked skills, but things like swimming and sense heading, you do not. That is just a general rule. I am sure there are exceptions.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Banned

Sense Heading technically doesn't need it, but the first level in it takes forever to get so you should probably put a point in it for sure.

I thought Swimming was buy-required too, may be wrong though. Maybe it's different for every class or race.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:17 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperbole [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought Swimming was buy-required too, may be wrong though. Maybe it's different for every class or race.
I thought this was the case too, but I'm fairly certain I had level 1 trigger for me on a trash toon a while back. I remember being surprised by it. So, I think it's like Sense Heading where it just takes forever to trigger. I generally through a few points into it after I've knocked out a few levels since swimming is really a pain on P99.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Aviak

If you look under each class in the wiki I'm pretty sure it lists their skills and which ones need to have a point spent to get them started.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Large Rat

Hey, you're right. Some classes, like shaman and chanter, do list if a skill is "trained" or not. But not rogue or warrior who have the most trained skills.

I'll have to update those pages and/or the template!

What's weird is chanter has swimming as trained but shaman doesn't. Does it really vary by class? I'm assuming it doesn't vary by race.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Kobold

I enjoy the lower levels, so I have lots of experience with trying to skill up without using training points. The only skill (of the basic skills) that I could never get to 1 on was sense heading. I always give up after 5 or 6 hundred clicks.

Swimming, begging etc. I've always gotten to 1 with less than 100 attempts.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

1. Start Iksar
2. Innate 100 swim ability.
3. Win/Profit
Old 12-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I enjoy the lower levels, so I have lots of experience with trying to skill up without using training points. The only skill (of the basic skills) that I could never get to 1 on was sense heading. I always give up after 5 or 6 hundred clicks.

Swimming, begging etc. I've always gotten to 1 with less than 100 attempts.
Next time just bind a sense heading hotkey to one of your movement buttons, like a or d and just run around with reckless abandon.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:08 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazlo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Next time just bind a sense heading hotkey to one of your movement buttons, like a or d and just run around with reckless abandon.
It would still take hundreds of presses of the 'D' key to get that first point (or more, if at all). I've never gotten it, even after running around for a few levels with that exact key binding setup. But if you train the first point, the second point comes in after a couple dozen presses.
Closed Thread