Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've noticed it is really rare to stretch out after exercise... Even though I'm sure this was one of the very basics taught in school!

Is it true neglecting to stretch makes the muscles grow back more swollen, giving the illusion of greater gains?
I'm guessing it's rare because people would rather spend their time lifting/exercising, and don't take time out specifically for stretching.

I recently watched Joe Rogan's interview with David Goggins and they went into detail about it. If you don't know who David Goggins is, he's a bad ass ultramarathon, ultra-distance cyclist retired navy seal. One savage mother trucker. Here's the excerpt where he talks about stretching...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I5lkRw6arM

I'd recomend watching the whole interview The guy is freakin nuts, but it's motivating as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tSTk1083VY
Old 08-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Planar Protector

You learn the importance of stretching in grade school. It's not some big secret or innovation. If you choose not to do it then that's on you.

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

I’m still learning what stretches I need to do for what muscle groups. It’s not like they teach anatomy beyond... you have muscles in grade school.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I know two stretches for adductors now!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Never really did those and definitely helped a lot yesterday. Any “best” stretches for other leg muscle recommendations?

@pink: wrecked as in ow ow ow every time I walked yesterday.
Last edited by Cecily; 08-02-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Old 08-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

And, of course, some common knowledge stuff is just straight up bad for you.

“METHODS: 1538 male army recruits were randomly allocated to stretch or control groups. During the ensuing 12 wk of training, both groups performed active warm-up exercises before physical training sessions. In addition, the stretch group performed one 20-s static stretch under supervision for each of six major leg muscle groups during every warm-up. The control group did not stretch.

RESULTS: 333 lower-limb injuries were recorded during the training period, including 214 soft-tissue injuries. There were 158 injuries in the stretch group and 175 in the control group. There was no significant effect of preexercise stretching on all-injuries risk (hazard ratio [HR] = 0.95, 95% CI 0.77-1.18), soft-tissue injury risk (HR = 0.83, 95% CI 0.63-1.09), or bone injury risk (HR = 1.22, 95% CI 0.86-1.76). Fitness (20-m progressive shuttle run test score), age, and enlistment date all significantly predicted injury risk (P < 0.01 for each), but height, weight, and body mass index did not.

CONCLUSION: A typical muscle stretching protocol performed during preexercise warm-ups does not produce clinically meaningful reductions in risk of exercise-related injury in army recruits. Fitness may be an important, modifiable risk factor.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10694106/

I’m reading stretching may increase risks of injuries to runners. This study is pre-exercise stretching. Will look more into it later. Super interested to learn there’s debate on this topic.

Literature review showing 2% soreness reduction 72-hours post exercise. Also suggesting that over-stretching sarcomeres reduces their ability to absorb force.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1250267/
Last edited by Cecily; 08-02-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Old 08-02-2019, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

I actually don't stretch or workout. I'm just a random internet troll.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Send more pics of your boyfriend though.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Send more pics of your boyfriend though.
He's cute right.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Same, girl. Same.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
He's cute right.
Yeah, he fucks!
Old 08-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've literally never heard this. You'll get a pump whether you stretch or no lol.
What I heard is if you stretch after strength training your muscle fibres are able to grow back more densely so, while your muscles will grow larger, you end up looking less like a guy made of balloons. Again, no idea where I came across this idea or if there is any truth in that.
Closed Thread