Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Kobold

Default ShadowKnight, are they fun and useful?

Was wondering how fun a Shadow Knight would be to play.

Are they fun?

How useful are they as a solo class (leveling)/duo/grouping/raiding?

For a tank, do they have respectable DPS, or is it on the lower side - like bards.

Is it worth leveling one up or should you play a different tank class?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Kobold

Bummer to hear that. Really is. Does the 2h buff ever help this out, or nah?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Planar Protector

I'd qualify what Naethyn's saying with "in a guild with enough people that you can reliably have a Warrior every night ... (Shadow Knights might get bored)". In smaller guilds it's entirely possible that on any given night a Warrior won't show up, and that's when knights get their chance to raid tank.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-16-2018 at 09:02 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Planar Protector

Well, you can forget about tanking anything that needs disc... But fun definitely, and for raids, beside low dps you can also be part of the pull team, you are not gonna replace monk anytime soon, but pet, invis/ivu, fd and dc for tags means you can really be useful in some cases...
Old 04-17-2018, 12:32 AM
Fire Giant

i think you're missing the A/A/A part of A/A/A/F tho.
do you really want to raid that bad?
your doc recommends otherwise.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Planar Protector

Shadowknights have a pretty crazy amount of utility, and all they sacrifice for it is good dps. Knight dps isn't that bad while leveling though due to some really great ratio weapons that are affordable, but ya it's going to be mediocre compared to real dps classes at 60 and raid gear will only make that margin increase.

Snare, Fear, Feign Death, Invis, IVU, Levitate, Enduring Breath all packed into a melee class that can wear plate is pretty damn awesome when you think about it. You won't be as efficient a soloer as a monk would but you can definitely take out a lot more variety of targets due to the toolkit.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

In term of utilities, you should not forget the locate corpse and summon corpse too, through the huge coffins suck...
Old 04-17-2018, 01:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACEQUEST [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I recently leveled a Shadow Knight to level 52. The spells are cool but the DPS is starting to drop off pretty dramatically compared to other melee and I have mine equipped with Sowrd of Pain/Fungi/CoF... =(

Fun class, would not recommend as a main, would recommend as a twink alt for screwing around
Sword of Pain is barely an improvement over a Noct Blade though and sliiiiightly worse than the Ebon Mace.

You'd do more DPS with an exquisite 2hander + COF. They seem to go as low as 7-8k these days.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:45 AM
Planar Protector

I used summon corpse sky recently, also sk stays parked there for pet track efreeti lucky dip.

Neither of these things particularly fun. Sky efreeti are kinda fun in a frustrating way; very box of chocolates.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

They are very fun and can definitely solo (better than a pally outdoors, worse indoors).

While a pally is painfully more boring You get more control for group work. Root parks, heals, non-dot spell taunts, indoor lulls, LoH to save the healer.

I adored my SK on live and did raid it; I’m sure to my guilds dismay over my rogue. After going Pally on P99 I’m not sure I can give up the control.

SK’s have plenty of tricks to accomplish the same goals, they are just less obvious. Both do horrible DPS but SK pets eventually get quite good.
Closed Thread