Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind
Default Resuming quest to open a massive text file

It has been about 3 years since I last tried, I'm hoping a new program has popped up. I have a 4ish gb log file from EQ that I would like to open. Suggestions? Notepad++ chokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Planar Protector

What are you looking to do once you have it open?

I sometimes have to open logs that are a gig at work and used to use Dreamweaver to do so since I had it open anyways. It works but is slow as hell. Most likely, though, there is some upper bound to the amount of data that can be loaded.

Getting good with the unix commands like grep, tail, etc, will be a big help for you in this right most likely. Regular expressions ftw!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Sarnak

Could also break it up with a scripting language to smaller pieces.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

I use Textpad for all of my text and small coding needs, but I've never had to open a file that big so I don't know how it would react. Your best bet, as other posters have said, is writing a program to break it up into smaller pieces or to just straightaway do whatever it is you need to do with it.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Banned

Unix less command?

How big you talkin'?

You could write something small that pipes in X-Y indexed characters at a time to another text pad?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are you looking to do once you have it open?
I need to read it =D. It has just about everything I did in EQ from 99 thru about about 2006 in it. Every quest, every raid mob, every face plant, every cyber session.

Textpad chokes and dies. I'd tried breaking it down before, but it corrupted a copy in the process. Tried Dreamweaver as well and it tanked. Filesplitter exploded.

Going to try Chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I need to read it =D. It has just about everything I did in EQ from 99 thru about about 2006 in it. Every quest, every raid mob, every face plant, every cyber session.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

Scribd? Google docs? Might take forever to upload but if its online it might be easy to view.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

I've opened files as large as 1.5gb with textpad. These same files crashed notepad, wordpad, notepad++, editplus. Have you tried gedit? Beyond that, I would consider trunchating the file.
It may sound strange, but have you considered reading the file into matlab? My large data files were CSV, but could you try reading it into a 1xsuperlong array in matlab? Could then manipulate the array into smaller arrays and output smaller text files.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Sarnak

glogg

http://glogg.bonnefon.org/
Closed Thread