Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True the install process is biggest barrier at this point.

If there were 1000 or 2000 or 20,000 players on pvp server I would be exceedingly excited.

If there were 2000 or 20,000 players on one PVE box it would be pretty miserable because there's just not enough mobs dropping good stuff for all the freaks that know how to beat the game now.
When I played swg emulator I was shocked at how simple it was to install and get running

Swg does not have near the following p99 does... I feel like there gotta be some way to make it easier for new players to get in the game...
Old 05-18-2021, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was the most fun times because of the population, fighting over single skeleton spawns in the noobie zone yard, talking smack to other races and helping out the true noobs, seeing P99 veterans get torn a new rear by the EC griffin (multiple times lol).

Nothing was overpowered yet, people haggling in /auc for cracked staffs.

No raids, raid talk or raid guilds in action yet.

Best EQ ever.
Also the type of people who played EQ was unique compared to the type of people who play MMOs in 2021

In 1999 anyone who could play EQ did play EQ

On WoW I meet mostly incels.. on EQ there were a lot more functional and normal people who played....it wasn’t just introverted nerds
Old 05-18-2021, 03:31 PM
Banned

ya always surprised me there werent 10,000 ppl trying to play here like wow classic blue up to the point were they had to actually bring it back to live wow
Old 05-18-2021, 03:32 PM
Banned

*blew up
Old 05-18-2021, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ya always surprised me there werent 10,000 ppl trying to play here like wow classic blue up to the point were they had to actually bring it back to live wow
I think a lot of people who have never played EQ would try p99 just to see what it was all about and what started it all. I have genuinely had friends from WoW ask me a million questions about it, but ultimately decide it’s too hard to install
Old 05-18-2021, 04:36 PM
Aviak

Wow is to EQ as Barney is to Jurassic Park.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not serious. Like one day, a huge youtube made a video on p99 then all of a sudden,

you have thousands of players joining p99 (I'm talking people of all ages)

the server population will go bump up to the thousands and people are ruining the game

what will you do? Would you quit? Would you troll the mass?

I'm curious what you guys have to say
This already happened- how do you think it went from 100-200 people to 1000+ daily.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On WoW I meet mostly incels.. on EQ there were a lot more functional and normal people who played....it wasn’t just introverted nerds
WoW catered to the bottom end to get the most, which it did and kept so long it overshadowed the genre until MMORPGs became synonymous with it.

Never forget that WoW had TV commercials with major celebrities ffs.. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Point is, yes you had to be a functioning adult to afford a computer or come from a household that allowed their kid to play (with a credit card) on the family computer, which may or may not be any good for early 3D gaming. EQ was not aimed at the bottom, at least at the start. 3D accelerator required, that was a risk. A risk that paid off.

I was 18 and the people I knew who played EQ, in era, were in their 30's. Working adults, some with families, all had responsibilities. All liked Windows computer gaming (pre-Xbox or the disaster of Vista/360).

I personally do not associate any true weirdness other than D&D (which I was creeped out by initially.. bad social regard to it) with original EQ or the people I played with during those years.

P99 is absolutely a different animal, in a different time with different interests. Some true creepazoids during the social media age, which no true MMORPG could exist in... true as in how I regard them. I judge near everything in Windows gaming by original EQ and the games of those days.

2006 was the year to get out. There was still just enough meat left on the bone that you wouldn't leave with a bad taste in your mouth. Post 2008.. post Bioshock.. it's been nothing but visual feats while slowly but surely removing anything 'Windows Computer' from multiplatform other than the fact you can plug a Duke controller into it.

Here is a dumb ass, redneck hillbilly from god-knows-where shitting all over this because in his mind its 'intellectually inferior'. Imagine Cleetus the Slack Jawed Yokel dunking on you but its true! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-18-2021, 06:05 PM
Fire Giant

I Disagree with the shutting down p99 lot. I think daybreak would realize they need to just purchase the project outright and cash in.

Shutting down p99 would cause outrage and divisiveness in already an extremely niche community. If you shut down a project that is giving your IP new life via viral content, you're quite literally shooting yourself in the foot. Rick James shut up pretty quickly when the U CANT TOUCH THIS checks started flowing in, enabling his drug habits for years to come.

For the record, I think it's possible. The raid scene circa 2016-2018 offered PVE competitive content unlike literally anything on the market. Which most gamers born in the 90s on crave. Add in a truly massive and interesting world, retro graphics, and an MMO where community actually matters, and you ACTUALLY talk to your group mates, and ACTUALLY form acquaintances outside of your core in game friends, it really could be a hit in 2021.

It would be a shit show, but it would bring a tear to my eye. EQ through Velious is one of the best gaming experiences ever produced.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:20 PM
Aviak

Friendly reminder that it’s only illegal to use ip if it’s marketed for profit.

I can machine ar’s and hand them to my friends if I wanted to, I can even engrave colt on the side of them if I wanted. As long as they’re not sold I’m in the clear, thems the rules-welcome to capitalism.

Ant it great?