Settlers of Catan is a family favorite
Old 12-17-2021, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

Viticulture is also pretty fun, albeit complicated when you’re first learning
Old 12-17-2021, 11:26 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Board games? More like Bored games

JK but all I ever played was D&D as a kid and warhammer 40k (briefly) as a teen

Edit: oh my ma and I used to play the shit out of some military game called “Stratego” back in the day. Never could beat her tho. Also couldn’t beat her at chess like, ever
still play this with my brother on rare occasions when we visit the gaming shop
Old 12-17-2021, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Battlestar Galactica - a lot of fun; you will be calling each other the Cylon or a toaster for days (need to pay attention)

Lords of Waters Deep - very D&Dish and fun not a lot of paying attention needed and expansions get fun

Splendor - No thought needed and a lot of fun

Any of the Century games: Golem.. partial to Century: Eastern Wonders (get upgrades to your boat) No thought needed and a lot of fun

Blood Rage - Game is intense and going get more exciting every round

Rising Sun - Sooooo much fun with a lot of people

twilight imperium 4th edition - Sooooo much fun with a lot of People (takes a day or longer to play)

Red Dragon Inn - No thinking really involved. Don't get too drunk or beat unconscious in this D&D tavern game. Lots of fun with others. Probably the most popular with this group on these forums.

Nemesis - if you are fan of Aliens - you will like this game - it is extremely hard to win thou. Very fun.

Xia board game - Space game - think firefly but more PvP oriented - more fun as you get expansions. Get a Ship you upgrade to Warp about!

Black Rose Wars - you are wizard in a tower; a prisoner with other powerful wizards you need to take the black rose room! (lots of thinking involved)

Anachrony - The future has never been so bleak but you want your race and only your people to survive, Game is for Jib. Travel back in time but don't mess up the time line too bad!!!
(lots of thinking)

Mention a board game I have probably played it but these are a fun of my favorite.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

I’ve heard Spelndor is good.

Anyone ever ply Wingspan?
Old 12-17-2021, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

I would say Talisman as well for OP's requirements. It's kind of a mix of light RPG and Monopoly. Much simpler than something like Gloomhaven.

As Botten mentions Twilight Imperium is a really cool game if you have the players, but it's a LONG game. Last time I played we spent 12 hours on a Saturday to finish it. The only reason why it ended in in 12 hours was because we set up the board wrong, which gave the Army focused player too many resources to build his army. It probably would have lasted longer otherwise.

Glad to see someone mention Stratego! Haven't played that in forever, but that is a very fun and simple game, with good replay-ability. That's probably good for OP as well if you only have one other player. Sadly it is only a 2 player game.

D&D is more accessible now too with 5th edition, so it's worth a shot for anyone interested in pen and paper RPGs. That can be mostly if not all social if you don't mind playing fast and loose with the rules (which many people do).

I am a fan of Warhammer 40k, but that is a tough one to get into for new players. It's expensive and can be hard to find other people in the area that also plays, unless you get lucky and live in an area with a lot of players.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-17-2021 at 12:11 PM..
Old 12-17-2021, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’ve heard Spelndor is good.

Anyone ever ply Wingspan?
Wingspan is fun be careful of the expansion it isn't balanced.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

Stratigo is the shit!
Old 12-17-2021, 02:18 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Great thread, love it for a wide range of thoughts and a great amount of information, going to use it to order an essay at https://www.wiseessays.com/ on a similar topic as I need to write it on my exam, thank you for the thread!
Old 12-17-2021, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

Talisman ordered.
Closed Thread