Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 05:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
shamans are OP but like other classes like a monk, you need gear to be considered

"the best class". Some classes such as casters dont rely on anything to boost damage asides from leveling up to get better spells. while a melee character needs to level up

AND get better gear to increase their strength/haste for better dps.

Shamans are a good class but not really the best in utility.

I will have to say a necromancer is the best class in my opinion. Every new "spell" level is a power spike. They can level to 60 without any gear at all.

For shamans, 1-46 you are pretty much forced to group and soloing takes 80 years because of the downtime. You are pretty much forced to get a fungi item. The power spikes for shamans are canni, jbb, epic, 60 spells. Most of these are somewhat challenging to get such as the 60 spells and a fungi item.

Necro is great because
-Easy for anyone to pick up
-no gear really needed
-every "spell level" is a huge powerspike
-feign death
-can heal others
-can rez people
-can fear

Is this thread a troll or something? It's so obvious that necromancer is literally the master class. I'm not saying that shamans are a bad class. They are just not the BEST class overall. I currently have a shaman on blue that I love playing but I needed to save up a lot of plat just for the gear and spells just to be OP.
Each class has strengths and weaknesses. People generally consider Shamans/Enchanters to be the best overall classes because not only are they great additions to group/raid content, but they are also able to solo difficult mobs no other class can.

Shamans are better than Enchanters when fighting mobs in areas where you can slow, but you don't have a lot of good options for charmed pets. That is why West Waste Dragons are do-able by Shamans, and not Enchanters. Necromancers can do one or two of the Dragons that are fearable, but they are much more limited than Shamans, and I think those Dragons are on the lower end in terms of what loot they drop.

Enchanters are better than Shamans when fighting mobs that cannot be slowed, but there are great charm options to pit mob against mob. They are also superior when it comes to camps that require a lot of CC. While Necromancers do have good charm capabilities, they are extremely limited by the undead requirement.

Necromancers are a great all around class, I agree. But unfortunately most of the tougher solo challenge mobs that drop good items are not undead, so Necromancers in general can not kill solo challenge mobs that Shamans/Enchanters could.

I am not saying Necromancers are bad at all. They are certainly one of the more powerful classes in the game. But because they are so well rounded, they are not quite up to some of the challenges that Enchanters or Shamans are capable of doing. And yes I do agree that Necromancers have a much lower barrier to entry from a money perspective, but if you play long enough all classes can amass enough plat to pay for anything they need.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:08 PM
Planar Protector

I haven't read whole thread but shamans are the best class in teh game unless you have more than 1 of them.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:24 PM
Banned

Necro master class

Iksar master race

Nerf enchanters because everyone’s jealous
Old 01-28-2022, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Each class has strengths and weaknesses. People generally consider Shamans/Enchanters to be the best overall classes because not only are they great additions to group/raid content, but they are also able to solo difficult mobs no other class can.

Shamans are better than Enchanters when fighting mobs in areas where you can slow, but you don't have a lot of good options for charmed pets. That is why West Waste Dragons are do-able by Shamans, and not Enchanters. Necromancers can do one or two of the Dragons that are fearable, but they are much more limited than Shamans, and I think those Dragons are on the lower end in terms of what loot they drop.

Enchanters are better than Shamans when fighting mobs that cannot be slowed, but there are great charm options to pit mob against mob. They are also superior when it comes to camps that require a lot of CC. While Necromancers do have good charm capabilities, they are extremely limited by the undead requirement.

Necromancers are a great all around class, I agree. But unfortunately most of the tougher solo challenge mobs that drop good items are not undead, so Necromancers in general can not kill solo challenge mobs that Shamans/Enchanters could.

I am not saying Necromancers are bad at all. They are certainly one of the more powerful classes in the game. But because they are so well rounded, they are not quite up to some of the challenges that Enchanters or Shamans are capable of doing. And yes I do agree that Necromancers have a much lower barrier to entry from a money perspective, but if you play long enough all classes can amass enough plat to pay for anything they need.
true but as a shaman you will need specific items in order to pull off some crazy shit

they are somewhat the most gear dependent caster-type class in the game
Old 01-28-2022, 07:34 AM
Decaying Skeleton

But it is so cool, intriguing and very easy to get hooked up into.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nerf enchanters because everyone’s jealous
Accurate TLDR. Also, inb4 goalpost gets moved to next target.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:34 AM
Planar Protector

All this love for necros and here I sit remembering how they were ostracized in era for being a solo class in a multiplayer group game.

nobody got time for EQ

Jokes aside, the best memory of playing a class pre-Kunark was Necromancer. There was a guide online, maybe on necrotalk forums, that would take a necro from 1-50. It was filled with obscure camps each lasting about a level or two. I seen much of the old world following it as it took you to each continent.

You were the outcast of Norrath, couldn't shop at most places and every good place hated you. But with FD that lessened the strain on a player when there were no Dial-A-Ports or rezzing like P99. Never knew when you were going to be dropped over the phone lines.

EQ was peak design, has remained peak design. The industry tells me its not but their taste sucks anyway.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:40 AM
Sarnak

The average casual sees a post about Shamans being able to solo/facetank a +6neck dragon and suddenly feel it's the master class. When in reality, they are one of the most ridiculously gear dependent class in the game in order to do so. The real farce comes in the fact, no matter how strong of a solo class they become, they are grossly inefficient at it. Namely the dumb pacify spell line.

Every bread and butter money camp can be soloed by an Enchanter with ease with incredible efficiency (take Chardok for example where they don't even need to take a faction hit by dictating the ph to suicide). Or just killing the bare minimum by pacifying the camps. Shamans just got to plow through everything via brute force.

Yet despite all that all of the Shaman stuff is grossly overpriced. Torpor? 85K! JBB? 25K! High level dots? 16K+ No other class gets fisted on a daily basis by these inflated prices on anything that has "shaman" on it. While Enchanters laugh to the bank with spells/gear that's nowhere near the same price range.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:42 AM
Banned

Necromancer.. levels faster than any class with the versatility to go anywhere pretty much without gear.

Shaman... finally bears fruit after 20 years of grinding. Just used as a box to buff alts or groups and farm fungi tuni.

Necromancers are quite fun if you enjoy undead motif at all times.

Wizard. Can solo lvl just about as fast as shaman just can't sit directly under firegiants for extended periods without support. Also funnest class to play outside of a cleric. And always a force multiplier. The more the better.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necromancer.. levels faster than any class with the versatility to go anywhere pretty much without gear.

Shaman... finally bears fruit after 20 years of grinding. Just used as a box to buff alts or groups and farm fungi tuni.

Necromancers are quite fun if you enjoy undead motif at all times.

Wizard. Can solo lvl just about as fast as shaman just can't sit directly under firegiants for extended periods without support. Also funnest class to play outside of a cleric. And always a force multiplier. The more the better.
The EQ skeleton cackle is still tops. Dark Elf necro was my first foray into undead motifs, so it was exotic at the time. I still have the image burned into memory of loading into Neriak the first time, by the waterfall with the large evil eye, the cavernous noise pushed through a Sound Blaster Live! EAX and Boston Acoustic 2.1 sound system.

Quote:
The Environmental Audio Extensions (or EAX) are a number of digital signal processing presets for audio, present in Creative Technology Sound Blaster sound cards starting with the Sound Blaster Live. Due to the release of Windows Vista in 2007 which deprecated the DirectSound3D API that EAX was based on, Creative discouraged EAX implementation in favour of its OpenAL-based EFX equivalent.