Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 12:22 PM
Aviak

I prefer to be in a group with 5 mages and a chanter.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzl0011 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I prefer to be in a group with 5 mages and a chanter.
Forget rangers and hybrid penalties, this is the actual classic toxicity.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:54 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forget rangers and hybrid penalties, this is the actual classic toxicity.
What's wrong with preferring mage burns?
Old 03-27-2020, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Should also remember to point out that character level plays a role in experience rates as well. Higher-level Warrior can take more of a group's experience than a lower-level Ranger. Unfortunately, crusading against experience rate misconceptions feels like a losing battle within this community. Many players seem uninterested in learning the ins-in-outs beyond the bare minimum required to make a character function at a basic level. I get the impression that such folks learn "hybrid bad!" and don't want to be confused by further facts. You should expect this situation to take an even more comical turn once Kunark is out and Iksar Monks will fail to attract the same sort of discrimination in spite of their 44% penalty which exceeds that of Paladins or Rangers.

I give the original poster some leeway on the group composition because he specifically says he was excluded due to experience, not due to class. Presumably someone told him it was due to experience because it'd be a strange assumption in light of the seeming class redundancies in those groups.

Danth
Old 03-27-2020, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should expect this situation to take an even more comical turn once Kunark is out and Iksar Monks will fail to attract the same sort of discrimination in spite of their 44% penalty which exceeds that of Paladins or Rangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veikuri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
mage burns
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Mblake81; 03-27-2020 at 01:11 PM..
Old 03-27-2020, 01:33 PM
Orc

OP #1 reason I didn't roll a ranger. I played on on Brell in 99 and leveled him all the way to 65 over the years. The HOURS spent in a zone spamming /ooc "40 Rng LFG" checking on lists ect... I won't do it again unless something magical happens where people realize that it's not that big of a deal
Old 03-27-2020, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Hybrid XP penalty's are rough and really do slow down an XP group. Your examples just highlight how fucked hybrids are (especially if many are in group). If you think its bad now, wait until 50-60 when the XP grind is at its realest. Good luck grouping on that Ranger or Bard! The tank hybrids have an advantage in that groups actually need tanks.

Rangers and Bards are especially fucked since they are basically 'optional' classes in every situation possible (IE they dont do anything very well another class cant do better)

On Blue before the penalties were removed there hybrid hate was at an all time high, when Kunark hits Green we will be having a renaissance of that era. Better make friends and enjoy duo/trios of under utilized camps.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 03-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

And if you are gong to make a rant at least get the math right. XP modifiers are multiplied, not added, so a Troll Shadowknight's modifier would be 1.4 x 1.2 = 1.68, a 68% penalty.

it becomes easy to see why no one wants to join a group consisting of

Troll SK
Dwarf Pally
Wood Elf Bard
Ogre Shaman
Human Ranger
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Last edited by Bardp1999; 03-27-2020 at 01:47 PM..
Old 03-27-2020, 02:30 PM
Large Bat

There are only 2 reasons to make and lvl a hybrid. Legacy item Guise and Jboots. Once you get those at lvl 35 you promptly drop your hybrid into long term stasis till veli comes out. You should have been making and lvling your hybrids at green server start date because the people playing cared a lot less about min/max and tanks were super rare since everyone went magi and got stuck on the whole research pet thing so they took any tank/melee they could into group.

I lvl'd a Paladin first, Ranger second, Ogre SK third, Ogre Warrior 4th, and my Rogue is my main now....all have Guise (except rogue) and Jboots (except ranger)…

One week till Legacy items are removed. Either use your home time wisely during this Covid19 mess by staying home and grinding it out to get your mask and boots or shelve your hybrids and play a non-penalized class to main till veli drops.

P.S - The lists are going to be so long this last week you might as well shelve the hybrid now.
Foolish fool
Old 03-27-2020, 02:42 PM
Fire Giant

Yes we all get how the penalties work, but what you don't get is that adding a hybrid that is at the group's level or higher significantly lowers everyone else's piece of the 'experience pie'. The only time you won't affect the group's experience is if you are lower than the average level of the group.

You picked hard mode dude. You picked a class that takes twice as long to level, has the potential to slow down the group, and solo's mediocre or poorly. You knew what you were getting into, you obviously know enough about exp to complain about it here.

Why are you mad at people ( who also understand how exp works ) who prefer not to exp at the same slower rate as you?

/boggle

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Closed Thread