Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 03-28-2023, 11:51 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default 100% New never played EQ

Hello Everyone!

I never got a chance to try Everquest the timing was not right as I was to absorbed into Diablo and then Diablo II (LOD).

Well a lot of time has passed since then and I have played many MMORPGs. However I feel like I missed out and I really want to give this game a shot. Shout out to Elhefe because I stumbled upon his Stream last night. Otherwise I would be looking at the Steam version of the game.

Anyways I have been trying to read over the Wiki stuff but I am truly a hands-on type of person. Reading kinda just causes me to gloss over.

I made an Iskar Monk on 1999 Green and died to everything I attacked, whether it was on purpose or not. (Sorry grandmaster dude and one shot me).

I was wondering if there was someone that could take me "under their wing" and give me a run down via Discord or something.

I plan on struggle busing it daily after work around 7pm-12pm. Then I may get some good time in this weekend.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:45 PM
Aviak

If you are absolutely totally new, I wouldn’t recommend an iksar. Kunark is not so great for newbs. Others who are veteran players or pro gamers will disagree, but I think you’d be better served playing an easier race with access to more players to ask help from. Starting in GFay. A wood elf Druid would be a good starting class. Not only does GFay have a lot of players to play with but also high level players show up there often to help out lowbies.

And the sooner you join a guild, the better. Guilds are an absolutely game changer, for the better.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:36 PM
Large Rat

There are a lot of controls and other things that can be changed to make the game easier to absorb too. I don't mind assisting if I'm online, I just started on the server recently as well, I played back in the day.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

Are you set on monk? If not, I'd recommend rerolling Enchanter(i started as a monk as well but did the same reroll).The first 12-20 levels will be rough. But then eventually you will be good in basically any composition(solo, duo, trio, 4+, etc.) and you can farm huge amounts of pp later on to twink out any char you want. Not to mention it requires the most finesse so you will also get really good at the game. Monk is pretty bland from a skill perspective until the late stages of raiding.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Enchanter_Guide

That guide is all you need really to build an Enchanter foundation, the rest you can learn along the way.
Last edited by Crede; 03-30-2023 at 04:43 PM..
Old 03-30-2023, 04:44 PM
Orc

Reroll druid or necro as first character. Easy learning curve and great potential for future endeavors. Soloing also extremely viable with both. Necro more of a $$ maker w/ druid having ease of travel (can also sell yourself out to porting, not as lucrative as others make it sound though). Avoid enchanter as first char unless you really want to start off on the struggle bus. They're incredibly powerful but lots of finesse and learning from death.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:16 PM
Kobold

Mage is also a good starting class. If good race, easier than necro for starting out. Less hated around world. Erudite mage can go lots of places others can't.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:27 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you set on monk? If not, I'd recommend rerolling Enchanter(i started as a monk as well but did the same reroll).The first 12-20 levels will be rough. But then eventually you will be good in basically any composition(solo, duo, trio, 4+, etc.) and you can farm huge amounts of pp later on to twink out any char you want. Not to mention it requires the most finesse so you will also get really good at the game. Monk is pretty bland from a skill perspective until the late stages of raiding.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Enchanter_Guide

That guide is all you need really to build an Enchanter foundation, the rest you can learn along the way.
Bad advice, avoid Enchanter, it's a high skill ceiling high risk high reward class for people who know the game mechanics well.

As others have said, Necromancer or Druid would be excellent first characters, very independent, powerful, and not very gear dependent.

Monk isn't a horrible choice, its a very powerful class, it's just even more powerful with gear.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:04 AM
Sarnak

Get a https://wiki.project1999.com/Wu%27s_Quivering_Staff and enjoy the iksar monk. U don't need much else
Old 03-31-2023, 11:08 AM
Sarnak

Huge pet peev of mine when people are suggesting druids and necros or wood elves and what not cause they are easy. Play what you want. You don't want to be a hybrid or wizard. That's about it. Careful with advice from these people.

Iksar Monk is a great choice. They are top tier class and race choice. You can always reroll when you know more for your self. Don't take these people's advice. Especially the ones telling you to be druid or necro.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxentar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I was wondering if there was someone that could take me "under their wing" and give me a run down via Discord or something.

I plan on struggle busing it daily after work around 7pm-12pm. Then I may get some good time in this weekend.

I'd be willing to do this. I could hop into a voice chat and watch your stream and give ya some general tips / guidelines.

Toxigen#1230