Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there a better and/or more classic classic server around?

I think not.
I hate this. "You're welcome to go play any of the other classic servers" it's such a ivory tower statement
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

It's better than the usual "sorry you don't have warder loot" tbh...
Old 04-19-2020, 11:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there a better and/or more classic classic server around?

I think not.
I don't see how that is relevant to what I said. I admit that P99 is still a great EQ experience - being a classic recreation clearly just isn't the primary objective anymore. This is just one of many changes that have placed engineering a particular play style over staying true to the classic recreation objective.

I am obviously not a fan, and do miss the days when "not classic" was applied consistently - even when the nerfs were annoying. At least we knew what the guiding principle of the project was, and if we encountered unclassic things, we knew to expect nerfs. Now nerfs are just being applied selectively on the whim of the developers, with seemingly no regard to classicness. That is fine if that is the direction they want to go, but hopefully we can stop pretending classic recreation is the primary goal now.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:04 PM
Sarnak

#SelectivelyClassic
Old 04-19-2020, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Classic re-creation has been the goal since day one, and it has never stopped being the goal. And since day one, there has always been a tension between "classic mechanics" (ie. make the server work literally, mechanically the same as live serves) and "classic environment/experience" (ie. make the game we all remember).

By necessity mechanics have always taken priority, but I've read a lot of old posts (including the one where Nilbog first announces this place on EQ Emulator), and I've never seen them promise 100% classic mechanics. That's something people here have imagined.

I bring up the other servers thing because it's super easy to "armchair quarterback" the delicate balancing act required to deal with that tension ... but armchair quarterbacks don't win games/make servers: winners do.

R&N are winners to everyone on this server ... except for a few bitter people that care more about the plat they lost or how much "harder" (/laugh) the game will be, than about getting to enjoy the EQ of 1999 in 2020. Everyone except them isn't complaining, they're celebrating ... the fact that our game just got more classic.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-19-2020 at 12:10 PM..
Old 04-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant49333 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These patch notes are crippling to smaller raid guilds, while emboldening the zerg guilds more. RIP
grats riot
Old 04-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Classic re-creation has been the goal since day one, and it has never stopped being the goal. And since day one, there has always been a tension between "classic mechanics" (ie. make the server work literally, mechanically the same as live serves) and "classic environment/experience" (ie. make the game we all remember).

By necessity mechanics have always taken priority, but I've read a lot of old posts (including the one where Nilbog first announces this place on EQ Emulator), and I've never seen them promise 100% classic mechanics. That's something people here have imagined.

I bring up the other servers thing because it's super easy to "armchair quarterback" the delicate balancing act required to deal with that tension ... but armchair quarterbacks don't win games/make servers: winners do.

R&N are winners to everyone on this server ... except for a few bitter people that care more about the plat they lost or how much "harder" (/laugh) the game will be, than about getting to enjoy the EQ of 1999 in 2020. Everyone except them isn't complaining, they're celebrating ... the fact that our game just got more classic.
Some of these dudes need to read my sig quote more often.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

The voyage between Faydwer and Antonica: Reworked to match cardinal directions on actual map of Norrath. Sgt Slate: Cannot be trained to the EC Tunnel. Level 1-45 characters: Cannot enter the planes. Epics: Cannot be equipped until level 46. The list goes on. Emulating original intent/spirit of classic as it also relates to a more informed playerbase seems to be the ongoing effort.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:20 PM
Sarnak

Only thing i've ever really been upset with was the changes made to monk FD/sneak mechanics in 2017.
#neverforget
Old 04-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Emulating original intent/spirit of classic as it also relates to a more informed playerbase seems to be the ongoing effort.
Obviously, as well it should be. Make no mistake, the vast majority of people on this forum who invoke "classic/not classic" as an argument are simply invested in their own agenda. They don't give a shit if something is or isn't classic, they only use that as a kludge when a server decision negatively impacts their profits, or loot, or guild's chances at loot, etc etc.
Closed Thread