Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is me. Level a character to 60, rinse and repeat. I enjoy playing the different classes and each ride always ends up different outside of a couple exp spots you can't pass up.
It is definitely disincentivizing

I joined a guild that raids recently, and thinking about my last times logged on has not made me excited to play. Haven’t logged on for the past week because of it

For one, the majority of raid targets my guild simply couldn’t get to in time to compete with the uber guilds. For two, it’s not required, but when the guild is scrambling to get people to a target and I’m ignoring them (although at my level I couldn’t assist much other than buffs), I feel like a douche. Then I see people even lower level than me rushing out just to get DKP and figure “what’s the point? I’ll never be able to get more DKP than them so why bother trying?”

I think about logging on but I know it’s only going to be a matter of minutes-hour before I see “[X] IS UP EVERYONE GO GO GO GO EVERY SECOND COUNTS, SO-AND-SO GUILD IS MOBILIZING!!” That might be exciting for some, but I actually dread it
Old 12-31-2021, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Have to have the presence of mind to know what you like in this game, know what you don't, and stick to the former. Most burnouts who end up hating the game tend to be the folks who allow themselves to get sucked up into activities they don't enjoy. There's plenty to do in EQ, even at level 60, besides raiding contested stuff, but you have to make the choice to stick in those parts of the game. Folks who're vulnerable to peer pressure are probably well-advised to seek a different hobby.

Danth
Old 12-31-2021, 03:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is definitely disincentivizing

I joined a guild that raids recently, and thinking about my last times logged on has not made me excited to play. Haven’t logged on for the past week because of it

For one, the majority of raid targets my guild simply couldn’t get to in time to compete with the uber guilds. For two, it’s not required, but when the guild is scrambling to get people to a target and I’m ignoring them (although at my level I couldn’t assist much other than buffs), I feel like a douche. Then I see people even lower level than me rushing out just to get DKP and figure “what’s the point? I’ll never be able to get more DKP than them so why bother trying?”

I think about logging on but I know it’s only going to be a matter of minutes-hour before I see “[X] IS UP EVERYONE GO GO GO GO EVERY SECOND COUNTS, SO-AND-SO GUILD IS MOBILIZING!!” That might be exciting for some, but I actually dread it
I hate to ask the obvious but why do you continue to be in this guild?
Old 12-31-2021, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReoDobbs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hate to ask the obvious but why do you continue to be in this guild?
Because in any MMO, really the main way you see progression is either via levels or gear. And for gear, if I choose not to raid, then I can still progress it, but it will involve spending exorbitant amounts of plat for the best possible tradeable pieces for those slots. Or I guess attempting to camp those pieces myself, which I hate the idea of even more than farming plat. At least with plat farming you are doing something dynamic and can change your location on a whim when you get sick of a particular place. Camping high-ticket items you are literally just staring at a wall for hours-days on end

So I'm left with two options to progress my only character: 1.) Beat your head against the wall of raiding or 2.) Beat your head against the wall of plat-farming

I chose to attempt option 1 while also doing option 2 as a backup. Alternating between both has thus far kept me from burning out. The more attention I focus on either, the quicker I burn out
Old 12-31-2021, 04:51 PM
Banned

I think what also ruined me for P99 is I came to P99 right after classic WoW servers ended

In classic WoW with instanced raids, raiding on a whole was SOOO much more chill. You signed up on a sign up sheet based on what time you could make, so for me I picked after work at 8pm or else there was a second raid group that did morning raids on the weekends I would sign up for

Then all you had to do was be online ready to go at the time you signed up for. Easy to plan real life around, almost never a conflict

Raids in P99 are like....me, chilling relaxing just trying to farm some exp or pp and all of a sudden "AAA!!!!!! [x] IS UP GET HERE NOW WHO NEEDS PORTS???!" Myself and the rest of the guild frantically rushing across the world, then 10 minutes later "Nm it's dead, uber guild got it". That style of raiding does and always will, suck

And no, not going back to WoW, lol. WoW sucks in other ways
Old 12-31-2021, 06:18 PM
Banned

Skyrim is so buggy ugh. U need to be a computer programmer to play. Wow also.

I agree with Jibartik. Try animal crossing. Stardew Valley. Or Terriaria or minecraft.

Better to just load up blender, gimp, and unity if you're going to try playing Skyrim.

I personally miss running irl. Learn to do that right and it's quite liberating. Unless u want a boooty...then walk inclines/declines and do squats.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

I got into Minecraft very late, the last couple of years maybe. Even so, not that deep.

What I will say, is it rings a lot of bells for me that early EQ did... struggling against the environment, gathering resources and trying to outfit yourself, with occasional help from a friend.

Both EQ and MC have this zombie horror survival slant to which they can be played.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-31-2021, 07:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobjenson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey all,

I joined p99 recently in March 2021 and had a blast. Super welcome and supportive community.

I was in awe and since it's been like 20 years nostalgia was paramount.

Anyways, fast forward I've got a mid 50's char and gace away a holgresh bead... I lack a purpose to play but the game is great.

Have I just outgrown online gaming?
Mid 50s there are actually some cool dungeons you can play around in. Join a guild that does random casual exp groups like that. It’s what I do on blue and it’s fun
Old 12-31-2021, 07:48 PM
Aviak

I appreciate the responses and insight. I don't have the time to raid due to rl and I think it is about time to make up my own obstacles or journeys in eq, give to others/newbs and help the community and wait for green.. hopefully 2023..!?
Last edited by Bobjenson; 12-31-2021 at 07:56 PM..
Old 12-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because in any MMO, really the main way you see progression is either via levels or gear. And for gear, if I choose not to raid, then I can still progress it, but it will involve spending exorbitant amounts of plat for the best possible tradeable pieces for those slots. Or I guess attempting to camp those pieces myself, which I hate the idea of even more than farming plat. At least with plat farming you are doing something dynamic and can change your location on a whim when you get sick of a particular place. Camping high-ticket items you are literally just staring at a wall for hours-days on end

So I'm left with two options to progress my only character: 1.) Beat your head against the wall of raiding or 2.) Beat your head against the wall of plat-farming

I chose to attempt option 1 while also doing option 2 as a backup. Alternating between both has thus far kept me from burning out. The more attention I focus on either, the quicker I burn out
I think his point was more why don’t you join an Uber guild if you want to raid but are sick of missing out on targets
Closed Thread