Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 08:18 AM
Fire Giant

Default Mage solo

From, let's say, level 30 and beyond, what should be my strategy for soloing blue non-caster mobs?

I have velious clicky robe for DS on pet.

Which pet should I be using and why?

And is there any useful tips for as far as strategy goes? My go-to would just be to send in pet on a single mob and help with a nuke or two and then maybe heal pet or just make a new when first one dies. But should I be doing something else?

Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:33 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by commongood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From, let's say, level 30 and beyond, what should be my strategy for soloing blue non-caster mobs?

I have velious clicky robe for DS on pet.

Which pet should I be using and why?

And is there any useful tips for as far as strategy goes? My go-to would just be to send in pet on a single mob and help with a nuke or two and then maybe heal pet or just make a new when first one dies. But should I be doing something else?

Any input is appreciated.
You need to do half of the damage or the pet eats half xp. Your almost at the level where it is best to chain 1 pet per mob.
Summon pet, burnout/Ds let pet mostly kill the mob and reclaim at low health. 1 small nuke and you get full xp. Soon your fire pets damage shield will do more than the shield of lava, at that point use the fire pet until 50.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:16 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You need to do half of the damage or the pet eats half xp. Your almost at the level where it is best to chain 1 pet per mob.
Summon pet, burnout/Ds let pet mostly kill the mob and reclaim at low health. 1 small nuke and you get full xp. Soon your fire pets damage shield will do more than the shield of lava, at that point use the fire pet until 50.
Thanks, that sounds like sound advice. Full disclosure, my mage is currently lvl 17, I said "around 30" because I imagined I could breeze up to that level. But currently I'm letting my pets eat 50% of my exp. Should/can I already get 100 %?
Old 01-18-2022, 12:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by commongood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks, that sounds like sound advice. Full disclosure, my mage is currently lvl 17, I said "around 30" because I imagined I could breeze up to that level. But currently I'm letting my pets eat 50% of my exp. Should/can I already get 100 %?
You can if you do over half damage, but if it slows your kills too much it just isnt worth it. Mage levels go very quick until around 55
Old 01-18-2022, 07:08 PM
Fire Giant

The ideal situation while leveling is to have your pet be able to bring the mob down to 5-10% health, then reclaim pet and do a small nuke to finish the mob. This nets you full exp.

Sometimes, and especially until 29 or so, it's easier to summon a max level pet and nuke for at least 50% of the damage ( remember that damage shield doesn't count as pet damage ). This will net full exp.

Both methods work fine, just try each at the different places you're leveling to see which is more efficient. Pet mana costs are often prohibitive until 29 or so, that's when I recommend switching to a focused fire pet and having the mobs beat themselves to death on fire's DS. A leveling path you could use for this would be:

29-34: The Brutes that are in the tunnels outside Dalnir, these guys are perfect to learn about the reclaim method, come in singles and there is a zone line right there if you accidentally in trouble.

34-39: Unrest basement, you can solo down there easily with the fire pet and levels will absolutely fly, bring some friends for safety or just enjoy feeling OP for a few levels.

39-46: Yeti's in Dreadlands, super relaxed outdoor camp, there are so many of these guys you'll never run out.

46-51: Bloodgills in Loio, you have to split two pulls if the entrance is camped, but these guys die so fast it's silly.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-19-2022, 04:00 AM
Planar Protector

Find someone like 5 levels below you to ‘duo’ with (they’re only really there to remove pet penalty and as you’re higher level so will get the majority of the xp). Use them to do pulls, kite adds, share tanking, etc

Not technically solo, but it really helps have someone do the dogsbody stuff so you can focus on medding.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-19-2022, 07:26 AM
Planar Protector

leave it to jimjam to respond to a "mage solo" thread with "find someone"
Old 01-19-2022, 08:08 AM
Planar Protector

IKR?

But seriously, duoing with an afk halfling rogue that is 2/3 your level is the easiest way to overcome the xp penalty... hell at some point you could even use a level 1 in a different zone though I’m not sure that works any more.

Solo in a group(!)

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-19-2022, 08:45 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IKR?

But seriously, duoing with an afk halfling rogue that is 2/3 your level is the easiest way to overcome the xp penalty... hell at some point you could even use a level 1 in a different zone though I’m not sure that works any more.

Solo in a group(!)
Unfortunately that would be considered boxxing. Even if the character is not yours, if a GM walks by and does a box test on you and you fail, then you would get banned.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunately that would be considered boxxing. Even if the character is not yours, if a GM walks by and does a box test on you and you fail, then you would get banned.
doubtful